PDA

View Full Version : Some what new to fishing

Aflores
07-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone like the title said I'm semi new to fishing. I have learned so much fumbling around like a drunk frat boy and decided it was time to stop my stalking ways and finally post. Only went fishing 6 times and have caught all together about 6 fish all at Gregory. I'm still learning and always looking for more tips.

Question: How many of you fish with your kids versus leaving the kids at home and fishing solo?

fish-o-haulic
07-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the site, may i ask what do you fish for? And sorry i cant answer your question because i dont have kids, but i do have younger cousins that are all under 10 and i take them sometimes. But only if i plan it out first. Since i fish cats and stripers mainly i dont normally take them.

Aflores
07-16-2011, 06:34 PM
I've only caught Bluegills and green sunfish. I would like to try my hand at bass or catfish but don't have enough knowledge to feel comfortable going after them yet. I have taken my step daughter (12 yrs) fishing most of the time with me and she still hasn't caught anything yet and it's kind of bumming her out. Hell my neighbor who gotten me in to fishing in the first place took her with his kids and still nada.

fish-o-haulic
07-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I fish catfish often and I mean often. I have a thread under tips of the month giving the basics of catfishing. I may later give a thread on some more complicated aspects to catfishing but for now basics it is check it out sometime.

Thisfool
07-16-2011, 09:16 PM
I've only caught Bluegills and green sunfish. I would like to try my hand at bass or catfish but don't have enough knowledge to feel comfortable going after them yet. I have taken my step daughter (12 yrs) fishing most of the time with me and she still hasn't caught anything yet and it's kind of bumming her out. Hell my neighbor who gotten me in to fishing in the first place took her with his kids and still nada.

hey hows it going man glad to have you aboard.

the best thing you can do to learn how to fish is learn how to fish for one type of fish then move on.

bluegills and other types of pan fish are a great place to start, there relatively easy to catch theirs tones of them every were and there are many many diff ways to fish for them. i personally found that fly fishing for pan fish is the funnest way for me. but you can throw jigs and other plastics for them and there are even hard baits for them like spinner baits and crank baits and of cours there is bait

i still suck at bass fishing only caught a few so ill leave that one alone. but cat fishing is fun and easy but just like all fishing it can get frustrating. just look around the site there are tones of reports and even how to posts for cat fishing.

even tho im not the best i know what im doing when it comes to the kitties so feel free to shoot me pm and ill answer any questions you may have to the best of my knowledge. well that goes for any questions you might have.

o and i cant wait to take my lil girl out fishing with me she is just a bit to young right now. but i dont think i can take her out with me all the time. some times i gotta get hard core and go on a mission and i dont see a young child having to much fun on those grueling missions that some times happen

fish-o-haulic
07-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Trout is also a good place to start. And aflores you may also shoot me a pm if youd like a second opinion or just cuz you want to. Even though Im sure thisfool is perfectly capable of telling you.

Thisfool
07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Trout is also a good place to start. And aflores you may also shoot me a pm if youd like a second opinion or just cuz you want to. Even though Im sure thisfool is perfectly capable of telling you.

hey hey trying to troll me lol j/k

ask every one. just post up what ever questions you may have and i can guarantee you will get plenty of advice. make sure to mention your new to fishing that way no one gets to complicated.

Wingnut
07-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Welcome, glad to have ya onboard. :Cool:

Aflores
07-18-2011, 12:07 AM
I fish catfish often and I mean often. I have a thread under tips of the month giving the basics of catfishing. I may later give a thread on some more complicated aspects to catfishing but for now basics it is check it out sometime.

I will check it out man. Thanks for the tip. If I have any questions I will be sure to ask.

Aflores
07-18-2011, 12:10 AM
hey hows it going man glad to have you aboard.

the best thing you can do to learn how to fish is learn how to fish for one type of fish then move on.

bluegills and other types of pan fish are a great place to start, there relatively easy to catch theirs tones of them every were and there are many many diff ways to fish for them. i personally found that fly fishing for pan fish is the funnest way for me. but you can throw jigs and other plastics for them and there are even hard baits for them like spinner baits and crank baits and of cours there is bait

i still suck at bass fishing only caught a few so ill leave that one alone. but cat fishing is fun and easy but just like all fishing it can get frustrating. just look around the site there are tones of reports and even how to posts for cat fishing.

even tho im not the best i know what im doing when it comes to the kitties so feel free to shoot me pm and ill answer any questions you may have to the best of my knowledge. well that goes for any questions you might have.

o and i cant wait to take my lil girl out fishing with me she is just a bit to young right now. but i dont think i can take her out with me all the time. some times i gotta get hard core and go on a mission and i dont see a young child having to much fun on those grueling missions that some times happen

Been fishing primarily at Gregory. So that is where I will start my quest for catfish. Any tips?

mjc89
07-18-2011, 02:00 AM
welcome. trout fishing is also agood option at gregory. u might wana try that.

Aflores
07-18-2011, 02:20 PM
welcome. trout fishing is also agood option at gregory. u might wana try that.

Thanks Mjc for the tip.

I was under the impression that trout fishing was better during the winter because of the water temps being cooler and something about oxygen levels being higher than during the summer and I do not have a boat so it would mostly be shore fishing for me.
So would it be possible for a novice like me to catch trout from the shore during the summer?

fish-o-haulic
07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
trout fishing is good during the winter and spring, and pretty good during summer. For summer trout it depends on where your fishing, this one lake i used to fish in late june to mid july had great trout fishing. because I would go shortly after there spawn there would be thousands of baby trout by the shore and so all the adult trout would hang out close to shore with them.

Frequent Flyer
07-18-2011, 04:41 PM
at gregory ive had the most luck at the baseball field area fishing powerbait on varied leader lengths. for catfish ther they are mostly bullheads which are small and will devour nightcrawlers on a size 6-10 baitholder hook. u ccan also get trout onthe n/c

mjc89
07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks Mjc for the tip.

I was under the impression that trout fishing was better during the winter because of the water temps being cooler and something about oxygen levels being higher than during the summer and I do not have a boat so it would mostly be shore fishing for me.
So would it be possible for a novice like me to catch trout from the shore during the summer?

i havent been up there in like a lil over a month. i think it depends on the water temperater but i think it doesnt get that hot. the trout usually bite there most of the time. but u can got try to catch both trout and catfish. i havent tageted the catfish there yet but will some time. for the trout there use a size 18 treble hook on 2# or 4# test. for bait use rainbow or chartruese powerbait. for the cats i would use a small baitholder hook like a number 4 on 4# or 6# test. the cats there are bullheads so u dont need big line. make sure to inflate ur night crawler or use marshmallows to float it of the bottom

Aflores
07-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Just want to say thank you to everyone with your tips and knowledge going to be heading up to the lake tomorrow. Got crickets for panfish and shrimp for catfish. I changed out my line got sized 4 hooks and I will be trying out a floating rig and slip sinker rig with marshmallow.

mjc89
07-19-2011, 11:55 PM
u shood really take nightcrawlers cuz ive heard that bullheads love crawlers

Koshaw
07-30-2011, 07:14 PM
As for trout fishing, if you and your daughter go to Jenk's lake, I can almost guarantee you will catch when they stock :D. Best to wait 1-3 days after though. I have taken ten groups up to Jenks and all of them have caught fish..., last month I took two and we all got 10+ fish and we left by noon or so. Gotta be in the right spot and garlic power bait or salmon peach and a 2-3' leader and light line and treble hooks are key. PM for more info and tight lines!

LGHT
08-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm fairly new as well and I've read a LOT of information here, on the web, books, you-tube, just about everywhere. Although it isn't the same as actually fishing just knowing and understanding what baits work with what fish and the TIMES to fish for specific species was a huge help.

In the past I would try and get bass from 11:00am - 6:00pm and would always get skunked. Then I read it's just the opposite and went from 5:00am - 11:00am and then after 6:00pm and I actually caught a few small mouth bass!!

murrieta angler
08-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the site Aflores,
As far as the kid thing. If they want to go, let them, cause when they get older they may not want to.
I have 3 children and only 1 still fishes with me, but it is getting more sporatic.
Enjoy the time,
Robert
<><