PDA

View Full Version : Out of dana point not far great fishing

JL
07-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Trying to get in as many days fishing while on vacation My wife and I decided to go out of Dana point today July 16. Called my son in San Juan capistrano and yes he would go along with another friend and each brought one of their kids. Had 2 kids under 7 and 5 adults. Thought we might head down to San onofre but bait barge young man suggested with the kids we hit the kelp just north of the harbor. Turned out we stayed in one location all day. First fish by Chase the 6 year old son of our friend --- took in Legal Sculpin. Then a few Sand bass, couple of short Calicos. Next it was Emma's turn to get hooked ---our 6 year old Grand daughter....... bang 24 in haibut.......... Bite subsided for about 40 minutes. My wife suggested a move in about 15 minutes........... then things went wide open. About 30 Calico with 10 over 15 inch one over 20. . My turn to put a legal halibut on the boat........ 31 inches. Started to leave at about 2 pm and i baited with a whole squid left from the day before ........... Big hit.........off the line goes----- Drag whinning ---- nearly spooled. We quickly cut all the other lines that were in the water and had the guys bring up the anchor and move the boat in position to play the fish. Had 30lb test on my heavy stick and Shimano reel. Played it about 30 minutes got within 20 yards and off the drag went whining again. But this time when i tried to retrieve bang it was gone. What an awesome time. Yea I know no fish in the boat but most of you will ----- agree the fun is in the fight and i certainly had a great time with the fight.

Took home 6 of the calico and both legal halibut. And i did not forget to Thank God for a great day on the water and..............the water temps of 67- 70 degrees. Tight lines all!!!!!

oakboy
07-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Sounds like a killer time! Glad you guys caught some awesome fish. Also, yes the thrill is in the fight for sure. Wonder what it was, bat ray, thresher?

<><
KP

murrieta angler
07-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Awesome report JL,
It's like I was there.
At one point or another, we have all been there, in regards to the mystery fish.
Robert
<><

JL
07-17-2011, 01:15 PM
My thoughts at the time were white sea bass. 2 were caught there earlier this week .

Sounds like a killer time! Glad you guys caught some awesome fish. Also, yes the thrill is in the fight for sure. Wonder what it was, bat ray, thresher?

<><
KP

jerr-dog
07-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Sounds like a perfect weekend. Some good fishing there.Good report