PDA

View Full Version : 7-16 dvl. . nada

kingfish2
07-16-2011, 12:29 PM
One more day one more skunk. Dvl its been fun but no bites in 2 trips I'm taking some time off from this place.

striperkingclassic1
07-16-2011, 12:49 PM
To KF2- I know that it's frustrating at times when you're just starting out at the Jewel. Don't look at it like you're getting skunked, but your really "learning" the lake. DVL is a very big lake with several fishing variables that takes months to learn. Once you start mastering the lake and learning your fishing spots, you'll look back at these days and say that you had to pay your dues. One suggestion would be to head over to Last Chance and speak with the guys there. They fish the lake almost every day and really know what's happening. They'll tell you what's working on the water and spend time with you.

We're coming into one of the best times of the year at DVL with the shad starting to show. Once the shad show, the striper fishing will be literally "off the hook". Keep thinking positive and learning the lake. Soon, you'll be on the stripers and showing off your pics.
Barry

Surfnsnowboard3
07-16-2011, 12:52 PM
One more day one more skunk. Dvl its been fun but no bites in 2 trips I'm taking some time off from this place.

What were you using? What depths? And where?

I'd like to help.

sandman92k
07-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Guys please tell, i have fished twice at DVL, the second time around was much better for me, any info on certain spots on the lake that is best for bass and how you guys fish i would love to read about. I am a big sponge trying to learn everything about the lake. thank you

kingfish2
07-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Started out early at the inlet drifted anchovies moved around after a half hour of no action. Ditched to the drop shot near the quorey fished the coves apposite of the Marina. Drop shores towards shore and slowly walked it back to the boat in about 35 to 40 ft depth. Used purple robos. Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

striperkingclassic1
07-16-2011, 01:19 PM
To KF2- Go to Last Chance B&T in Hemet and speak with Matt. He'll get you on any species of fish you're looking for. He's a wealth of knowledge and a really cool guy.
Barry

Surfnsnowboard3
07-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Started out early at the inlet drifted anchovies moved around after a half hour of no action. Ditched to the drop shot near the quorey fished the coves apposite of the Marina. Drop shores towards shore and slowly walked it back to the boat in about 35 to 40 ft depth. Used purple robos. Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Striper fishing at inlet is SLOW and NOT GOOD. So I'll leave that one alone and focus on bass for you.

You are in the right coves, the bass are everywhere. You may ne a little too deep. When I troll, I usually huh the bank in about 20 feet of water. I'll throw all the way in to shore with the drop shot and slowly reel in towards the boat covering 1ft of water to 20 ft.

Did you only use purple robos? You gotta try a different color if not a bite in 20-30 min. Use every color under the sun, I guarantee u will get a bite eventually.

My hot colors in the morning/cloud cover is morning dawn, watermelon and margarita mutilator. When the sun is up and it gets hot, my hot ticket is oxblood or anything brown.

Slow is key. Sometimes the bite is subtle, so you have to constantly pull up on the rod as you wiggle your rod tip to feel if the worm is in his mouth. Then set it quick.

Caught 15 LMB using what I described above at coves at north and south shores. POINTS AND STRUCTURE (trees) ARE KEY. That's where I catch 90% of my fish.

Another key I found is LINE. You HAVE to use 6# test or less and it HAS to be fluorocarbon. How do I know? My girl was fishing 6# mono and I had 6# fluro. She had 2 bites THE WHOLE DAY. I caught 15. KEY KEY KEY

kingfish2
07-16-2011, 04:41 PM
I didn't think line matters that much. I have 10lb floro on right now. Is it because the water is so clear at dvl

Surfnsnowboard3
07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
I didn't think line matters that much. I have 10lb floro on right now. Is it because the water is so clear at dvl

Yes! I can guarantee you that's your biggest problem. Switch to 6# or even 4# if your a stud and you will see a HUGE difference c

HawgZWylde
07-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Partly. Another and perhaps bigger issue is pressure on the fish. It's not so much that they see the line with their eyes, but it's they feel line with their lateral line. Floro is nearly invisible underwater to the eye. I know of several people who fish with 4-6lb line and do very well. They do lose good fish though. I use 10lb floro at the minimal. I tried lighter line and became frustrated with losing monsters in trees and structure, or just flat out out fought by the Hawg. But I try to avoid the heavily pressured "obvious" spots. I do catch a good share of fish. Indeed, I get a few less bites perhaps, but at least I have confidence in knowing I've got some guava in my line.

DVL is a very tough lake to learn. But it is a rewarding lake for those who take the time, and the skunking's, to learn the spots, and patterns that go with them.

If you have the money, there are some talented guides here that can put you on the fish and give you some insight on the patterns associated with this particular lake.

But most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP! Learn the lake. It WILL reward you...

Stormcrow
07-16-2011, 09:11 PM

Kingfish, It is true that lighter line produces more bites, however, I dont believe it is because they can actually see the line. Its moreso because a lighter line gives your bait a more natural action which triggers more bites.

This is what I believe. Drop shot a 6 inch robo in the pool with 12 lb and 6 lb and OBSERVE the difference. Its huge.

And, if you REALLY want to learn the lake, you can increase your learning curve by getting with a buddy and splitting the cost of hiring Pete Marino or Art Berry. Both gentlemen are extremely knowledgable and talented. You will speed your learning curve by 10 fold.

whopperstopper
07-16-2011, 11:47 PM
6lb flouro is the key...You gotta be ready to battle the hoggs in the trees...If he get's ya in the stick's it's a bear but you can get em out .....I know guy's that are getttin em with 15lb test and still breakin off in the sticks....I'll risk it..

Sublime-Steve
07-17-2011, 12:09 AM
I love light line :-)

Geraldlim
07-17-2011, 06:34 AM
On stripers when I first started targeting them last winter I skunked 12 trips in a row. Then when it changed to the spring bite I skunked 10 times in a row! I'm sure others learn faster than me but it does take time. I'm still paying my dues like you. Take heart, it does get better.

tacklejunkie
07-17-2011, 08:00 AM
I think it's tougher now because it got hotter.
The fish may have moved further from shore.

Last summer I fished there (not sure of the year) when it was hot all the fish seemed to be just out of casting range. I could have sworn this cool spell would bring on a good chew. It is right off the full moon though.

Haven't been down there in a few days.. really need to go see how the lake is doing for myself!

HawgStalker
07-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Partly. Another and perhaps bigger issue is pressure on the fish. It's not so much that they see the line with their eyes, but it's they feel line with their lateral line. Floro is nearly invisible underwater to the eye. I know of several people who fish with 4-6lb line and do very well. They do lose good fish though. I use 10lb floro at the minimal. I tried lighter line and became frustrated with losing monsters in trees and structure, or just flat out out fought by the Hawg. But I try to avoid the heavily pressured "obvious" spots. I do catch a good share of fish. Indeed, I get a few less bites perhaps, but at least I have confidence in knowing I've got some guava in my line.

DVL is a very tough lake to learn. But it is a rewarding lake for those who take the time, and the skunking's, to learn the spots, and patterns that go with them.

If you have the money, there are some talented guides here that can put you on the fish and give you some insight on the patterns associated with this particular lake.

But most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP! Learn the lake. It WILL reward you...
I totally agree with HW...most of the time I dont go smaller than 8# floro and catch fish consistently from shore! I do have a spinning outfit spooled with 5# pline floro but only use it when the fish are really picky!! With 8# I know I can set the hook and muscle that fish up off the bottom in a hurry!! Good luck bro...

stocker
07-17-2011, 05:36 PM
The switch will be flipped esp in Sept and you WILL get bit hard!