PDA

View Full Version : best place for bonito?

dday07
07-15-2011, 03:38 PM
where is a good pier for bonito? used to fish redondo back in the 80's but i hear bonito are pretty much gone.thanks for any advice

smokehound
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
There is no best pier for bonito. Boneheads are highly nomadic, and appearances are sporadic.

One moment they're all over HB pier, the next, they're all at belmont.

Some years, you see few at all.

You see tons of them in kings harbor at times, however most of them are small.

lovefofish
07-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I heard there is a man that has targeted them for decades. This mysteries man haunts the forums and strikes when you least expect it. Just look for a picture in all his posts.

DockRat
07-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I heard there is a man that has targeted them for decades. This mysteries man haunts the forums and strikes when you least expect it. Just look for a picture in all his posts.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/iloveyoudha/icon_question.png Who is this man ? http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CATVONAWESOME/AWESOME/mexicanwrestler.gif

DockRat
07-15-2011, 07:23 PM
where is a good pier for bonito? used to fish redondo back in the 80's but i hear bonito are pretty much gone.thanks for any advice

Went down today at JCS KH looking for signs of life at 5 pm.
No birds, bait, or seals showing activity.
Fricken AES power plant has been of since the sardine die off except for a couple 2 days here and there.
Seems as if there is alot of 1" baby baits in KH, haven't seen much else except of reading about JJ hooking Halibuts :Secret:

80's Lol You should have been there in Jan, Feb 2011
It was on like

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/owlnonymous/Donkey%20Kong/89a11a80.jpg
DR

jerryG
07-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Dock is right back in the day (70's and 80's) Redondo/ King Harbor was home to an incredible bonito fishery. The bonito were always there every month of the year they never left and the seals were not as much of problem as they are today. On weekends if you didn't get down by 8 am there would be nowhere for you to fish. People would be shoulder to shoulder on the piers (long and short piers) and right along side each other on the rocks. Big bonito (6 - 7lbs) would move during the fall and winter but it was mostly the 2 to3lb fish with some 4 to 5lbs fish in the mix. Back then there were bonito everywhere. You had a shot at catching them off just about any jetty or pier but now they are pretty scarce. I would say Redondo is still your best bet for finding them. If you really want to catch Bonito get on sport boat 3/4 day or 5 to 5 run (Pursuit) that will be fishing Catalina and you will get them. Follow the count to increase your odds.

JerryG

DockRat
07-21-2011, 06:51 AM
The AES power plant has been off since the sardine die off except for a couple days here and there.
No Steam = No Bubble = No Bonito
They still go in there though.
Your best bet is to rent a skiff at Rocky Pt Rentals and troll a LC or Rapala then fish anchovies,
If you don't get a Bonito then drag a chovy or dine the bottom for Halibuts.
Had you benn following FNN you could have caught Bonito a couple months back from shore.
DR