PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach 07.15.11

.:LOLLY:.
07-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Since yesterday didn't produce much I was eager to get back on the water today. This time I went to a different spot that isn't too far from the original one. It turned out to be a good decision.

I was on the water by six and didn't have to go into work until eight. Nice, an extra hour of fishing! I start by my truck but the water level was too low and conditions didn't feel right. Time to relocate again. I make a move and get down closer to the water. I look around and the only people there are two gentlemen fishing with cane poles and myself with my baitcaster.

I start casting and the guy closest to me seems like he's on fire. Cane goes in, bobber goes down, fish comes up. It was interesting to watch but it was time I start catching my own fish. I tie on a 1/4oz leadhead with a three inch swimmie for no luck. I remembered I had darter head and some basstrix. That has always done the job for me in the past.

I cast out and slowly work it in like if I was dropshotting. On my second cast with this setup I get slammed hard. My rod doubled over and the guy next to me couldn't believe I actually got something on artificial. I was only on for about a second, maybe a second and a half, before it popped me off. The guy asked me if it came off. I told him, "yeah with rig and all". Given I was only using 6# test around lots of structure. I felt confident knowing that the fish wanted to play.

That was my last darter head so there went that idea. Next I tied on a round lead head with same basstrix for no love. The round head didn't give the same action so time to change out again.

I finally tied on a 3/8oz lead head with a 4" swimmie. I would slow roll it on the floor and this thing was getting love. Managed to get me four angry spotties. All my bites came about 10 yards out on the pause.

As time to get to work is getting close I cast out one more time and what do you know...

My good old friend from yesterday paid me another visit (not the wet foot).
Ended the session with another starfish. I chuckled, placed him back in the water, and called it a day. I even managed to get to work 15 minutes early.

jerr-dog
07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Hey cool man sounds like a pretty good day for an hour or so of fishing. Sounds like fun. Cool report & thanks for sharing.

DockRat
07-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Congrats on the Starfish.
I have a couple minus low spots I've been wanting to hit.
Full moon last night, Grunion are staging.
The Tide Book says Sat night till Tue night.
DFG website says Fri to Mon.

15 Fr 9:45 p.m. - 11:45 p.m.
16 Sa 10:25 p.m. - 12:25 a.m.*
17 Su 11:10 p.m. - 1:10 a.m.*
18 Mo 11:55 p.m. - 1:55 a.m.*

The time to toss LCs and Krocs is now :Secret:
DR

DockRat
07-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Will SWAT Team pull in some Halibuts this weekend ?
DR

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/Natoma/Surf%20Fishing/IMGP0108.jpg

Newfishsmell
07-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Wtg out there , those Bass luv the plastics .

Wingnut
07-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Will SWAT Team pull in some Halibuts this weekend ?
DR

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/Natoma/Surf%20Fishing/IMGP0108.jpg

Will DockRat go fishing and post a report...? Please surprise me... :Rolls Eyes:

Nice job LOLLY, keep up the good work out there. :Cool:

07-16-2011, 07:18 PM
LOL Thanks guys

cactusfan
07-16-2011, 09:26 PM
thanks for the the report Lolly! I caught a few starfish before too, in the darndest of places...but using artificials? that takes skill! :)

cactusfan
07-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Congrats on the Starfish.
I have a couple minus low spots I've been wanting to hit.
Full moon last night, Grunion are staging.
The Tide Book says Sat night till Tue night.
DFG website says Fri to Mon.

15 Fr 9:45 p.m. - 11:45 p.m.
16 Sa 10:25 p.m. - 12:25 a.m.*
17 Su 11:10 p.m. - 1:10 a.m.*
18 Mo 11:55 p.m. - 1:55 a.m.*

The time to toss LCs and Krocs is now :Secret:
DR
Hi DR: taking my daughter to check out the grunion tomorrow night at Bolsa Chica...gonna try throwing the LC too, who knows?

FishinLBC
07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
nice report ty

murrieta angler
07-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Hey Lolly,
Must be nice to be able to head out, before work, and toss a few...:Smile:
Thanks for both reports,
Robert
<><

07-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it's a pretty good way to de-stress before the stress actually starts LOL.