PDA

View Full Version : Quick trip to Jackson Lake (7/14)

dkinla
07-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Inspired by the recent report from Jackson lake near Wrightwood... I wanted to put my dad on some trout... so we leave the Valley around 5:30am this am, and take highway 14 up and around to Jackson Lake. We get there around 6:30am, and there are already 4 people fishing from the road side of the lake.

We first setup by the road as well... kinda cold and windy to start... water was pretty clear and the water is deeper on the road side of the lake. I throw out 3 different powerbaits and have my dad try the Super Duper... I reeled in 1 taker after 15 minutes, but it was kinda slow after... so we decide to move to the other side of the lake (there's a road that takes you to the other side with a small parking lot/bathrooms-no flush). There's also some picnic tables with nice shade.

We setup there and get some more action... on a mix of powerbaits, super duper, and powermouse... here's a quick vid of my dad in action! haha~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGw9kc1KoyE

definitely a nice, cozy, beautiful spot: here are 2 views (just feels like you're far, far away from the city)

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/dkinla/4a68e419.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/dkinla/46a44826.jpg

and for lunch... some ramen noodles on the portable stove! woo hoo!!

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/dkinla/53232653.jpg

the other side of the lake (away from the road) has a pretty muddy edge in places... my shoes and bottom of my jeans got pretty muddy. We caught our limit (the usual rainbow stockers) and saw those infamous orange goldfish swimming around too. Didn't take any pics of the trout since you all know what they typically look like. We just tried different baits/lures... and the trout seemed to lose interest in one particular bait, so we moved on to the next bait/lure. Rainbow powerbait worked ok, gold super duper/panther martin, and powermouse were good... as you can see, I brought the whole arsenal... only thing I didn't try I guess were salmon eggs/power eggs/cheese/bread :EyePop:

definitely would go back to fish there again sometime. Will have to hit up Silverwood next time as well. My dad in reeled in all except the one I caught (and let some of the dinks go)... he definitely had a great time. We left around 12:30pm when the bite shut down and the trout moved to the middle of the lake I guess.

hope y'all enjoyed the report :Big Grin:

by the way, you need to have an Adventure Pass ($5 for one-day) to park along the road or in the parking lot... I bought mine at Sport Chalet yesterday

fish-o-haulic
07-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Nice report bro, havent been to jackson lake myself but will get there one day.

phishin phool
07-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Looks like a great little float tube lake, kinda like Jenks. Thanks for the great report!

dkinla
07-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Thx guys for the comments!

Here's another vid of me trying to coach my dad.. haha! I'm just trying to tell him not to reel in so fast.. But to try to do a stop/go retrieve. But.. His method works too I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbzQUJd_3vY

Natural Lefty
07-14-2011, 09:00 PM
dkinla, I already commented on your earlier post in the general freshwater section. I am glad the fishing at Jackson went well. However, the pictures look nice, and this report reminded me of something I was wondering. I saw a couple of recent hike-in reports from Crystal Lake with some big Green Sunfish, and I was wondering if anybody konws if you need an adventure pass there, too. I think so, but would like to know for sure.

dkinla
07-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Hmmm not sure either.. But go online and search Adventure Pass, and u can search their maps to see if that pass is needed in the location you're thinking of going...

ScottyP
07-16-2011, 04:29 PM
dkinla, I already commented on your earlier post in the general freshwater section. I am glad the fishing at Jackson went well. However, the pictures look nice, and this report reminded me of something I was wondering. I saw a couple of recent hike-in reports from Crystal Lake with some big Green Sunfish, and I was wondering if anybody konws if you need an adventure pass there, too. I think so, but would like to know for sure.

Yes, an Adventure Pass is needed for Crystal Lake. I just pay $30 for the yearly Adventure Pass, it definitely saves me a bundle of money.

Natural Lefty
07-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Okay, thanks ScottyP and DKinla. At least I have my answer now.

Karyn
07-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Yes, an Adventure Pass is needed for Crystal Lake. I just pay $30 for the yearly Adventure Pass, it definitely saves me a bundle of money.

if you have two cars or a friend- you can purchase a second year pass for $5.00- so in short, you will get two- one year long passes for $35.00 total. The ranger stated it's better to purchase it at the beginning of the month.

Cartman
07-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I really enjoyed your report about Jackson Lake. I love it up there, and I think you did a great job describing it. Loved the videos, too. chun chun e, apaa. Very nice.

dkinla
07-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Hey Cartman... Yeah glad u liked the report/vids... I just love seeing my dad hook up with any fish.. I could care less about catching any myself. My dad is 72 y/o now.. Geez.. How did time go by sooo fast? Anyways, I just try to find time now so we can share some time fishin together~~~

Pardon my bad konglish! Hehehe

teejay
07-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Enjoyed the video. Glad that your dad caught some fish.