PDA

View Full Version : reel question

efrain
07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Looking to get a new reel for the surf,(spinning and conventional/baitcasting,tired of jumping out of the water to avoid current reel from getting wet) any good ones out there that will stand up to getting to salt water.thanks

midgettosser1
07-14-2011, 03:40 PM
price range?

efrain
07-14-2011, 08:31 PM
$300 and below would be ideal

exfactor
07-14-2011, 09:15 PM
your kind of vague about what you want. do u want a spinner, or a conventional?

AngryAgent
07-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Efrain if you want the baddest of the baddest as far as baitrunners go I would look at the Thunnus from Shimano it runs at $300.00. If you want to save a few dollars you also can't go wrong with the regular Baitrunner, that is if you want a spinning reel. You can flyline baits with both or just do your normal thing with them. The Thunnus will also hold up to tuna fishing...

DockRat
07-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Buy 4 reels $70 each.
A Shimano Sedona is cheap and alot of guys use them in the surf.
I had a $50 Daiwa Regal 2500 XL that landed over 200 fish.
Left it in the car 24/7 and rarely rinsed it.
I recommend a mask, fins and speargun if you want to go deep.
DR

midgettosser1
07-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Yah, for 300, if you want to get two reels, I'd suggest a sedona as mentioned above, as your spinner. Thats what I have... but at the same time I haven't even used it yet. I've carried it in the surf with me... dunked it, etc... and it seems fine. But I generally use a baitcaster.

If you buy something like the sedona, then that woud give you a decent chunk of change for a quality baitcaster.

For round baitcasters look at Daiwa Lunas and Shimano Calcuttas. I have a Calcutta TE, but I'm scared to take it in the surf (plus its a 400 size, so for what I do, its a bit of an overkill anyways).

For low pro baitcasters, look into shimano citicas (saltwater version) and abu revo inshores (cheaper), or shimano curados and abu revo toros (more expensive).

My current "go to" baitcasters are a Shimano Cardiff 300 (round) and a Shimano Citica 200 DSV (low pro).
Based on my experiences, I would def NOT recommend a cardiff for the surf. It gets the job done, but you have to keep up on your maintenance. My Citica DSV on the other hand has taken repeated beatings and has performed flawlessly for several years now. DSV was the saltwater version for the older ones... not sure what they call them now.

This is all assuming you are targetting halibut and the like. For sharks, rays, etc... you will probably want something bigger.

Hope that sheds some light.

efrain
07-15-2011, 02:06 PM
thanks everyone, great options you guys have given me