PDA

View Full Version : went to perris lake today

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Got there around 10.00....jump in the the boat high speed to my first spot no luck...saw some reg there cleaning up...Did want to get to close so i went to one of my spots...got a good bunch of red ears and bluegills..had a great day on the water

TheAsianGuy
07-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Now, that's how I like to see the meal goes from start to end! NICE! Jump from the lake, right into the boat, sink, fryer, your plate, and down the trash..tomorrow, out your rear :LOL: Hm..looks like the gills are getting smaller. We might be harvesting them faster than the growth rate.

Karyn
07-13-2011, 09:51 PM
what does blue gill and red ear taste like? Not to be funny- please don't reply fish. Does it taste like trout, kinda flaky, or Cod- kinda flaky- but milky, Tuna- distinctive taste, Catfish- (haven't really had a "good catfish dish") the one I tasted was real smushy and muddy, Salmon- a little stronger taste- mild, not too strong.. Does it take on the taste of spices, or does it have it's own unique taste? I want to go out on Sunday- but have not decided where yet... Thanks in advance.

fish-o-haulic
07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
what does blue gill and red ear taste like? Not to be funny- please don't reply fish. Does it taste like trout, kinda flaky, or Cod- kinda flaky- but milky, Tuna- distinctive taste, Catfish- (haven't really had a "good catfish dish") the one I tasted was real smushy and muddy, Salmon- a little stronger taste- mild, not too strong.. Does it take on the taste of spices, or does it have it's own unique taste? I want to go out on Sunday- but have not decided where yet... Thanks in advance.

WHAT THE HELL!!! never tasted a good catfish dish, you say mushy and muddy. It wasnt caught from a city lake park was it. If you ever want to catch catfish send me a pm and ill give you everything you need to know to catch a good decent sized catfish. But make sure not to catch it out of a city park lake. channel cats and blues are really all ive tried. flatheads look disgusting so never bothered to try them but im sure they taste the same as the others.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-13-2011, 10:01 PM

i would say cod kinda flaky but milky...just season it good

blackberg
07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
nice going PBC!

I'll still want to race yeah, lets see who can get 10 people to the island and back the quickest:Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious:
-bb

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Now, that's how I like to see the meal goes from start to end! NICE! Jump from the lake, right into the boat, sink, fryer, your plate, and down the trash..tomorrow, out your rear :LOL: Hm..looks like the gills are getting smaller. We might be harvesting them faster than the growth rate.

i dont like the real big ones.....

Natural Lefty
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Karyn, sunfish species such as Bluegills, Redears, or Crappies have very low fat content, firm white meat, and taste very fresh and yummy. They don't really taste like Cod, but more like Cod than your other examples. They actually taste better than Cod.

tagg27
07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
PBC - WTG. nice meal. If I can ask what were you using? Bait n Wait or lures?

Karyn - After 40 years I just started eating fish. I'm glad I did. fish-o-haulic right. Don't eat the parks catfish. lake channels or blues are the way to go. Still a big fan of stripeys or panfish. Fish tacos...YUM...

Kelster
07-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Nice job. I don't think I will make it out there this weekend so y'all have fun out there. Where they in deeper water like they have been the past couple of weeks?

mytyt
07-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Taste like CHICKEN

TheAsianGuy
07-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Taste like CHICKEN

:LOL: You wish.

Karyn, like Natural Lefty said, it's very firm. Small ones, around 1/2 to 3/4 lbs, has a very good firm texture to the taste. Best to describe it is a tougher firmer cod filet. Because of the firm meat, you can use it for grilling, baking, frying, or stir fried for various dishes. The best is the fish taco. Man, can't have enough of panfish tacos. When my wife had the first southern spiced styles tacos, she demanded me hauling home a lot more panfishes for lunch and dinner. So, each trip, I want to hit at least 20 panfishes, and at least 5 cats. Trout season is also upon us, so..time to get our FISH ZEN ON!

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-14-2011, 09:50 AM
:LOL: You wish.

Karyn, like Natural Lefty said, it's very firm. Small ones, around 1/2 to 3/4 lbs, has a very good firm texture to the taste. Best to describe it is a tougher firmer cod filet. Because of the firm meat, you can use it for grilling, baking, frying, or stir fried for various dishes. The best is the fish taco. Man, can't havenough of panfish tacos. When my wife had the first southern spiced styles tacos, she demanded me hauling home a lot more panfishes for lunch and dinner. So, each trip, I want to hit at least 20 panfishes, and at least 5 cats. Trout season is also upon us, so..time to get our FISH ZEN ON!

I like my taco spicy too....do you ever cats at perris lake

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Karyn - After 40 years I just started eating fish. I'm glad I did. fish-o-haulic right. Don't eat the parks catfish. lake channels or blues are the way to go. Still a big fan of stripeys or panfish. Fish tacos...YUM...

night crawlers, the didnt want crickets today

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-14-2011, 09:57 AM
nice going PBC!

I'll still want to race yeah, lets see who can get 10 people to the island and back the quickest:Envious::Envious::Envious::Envious:
-bb

It would take me all day, because i dont like a lot of people in the boat with me maybe one other...When are you going back out?

TheAsianGuy
07-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I like my taco spicy too....do you ever cats at perris lake

You betcha! Try to fish near the far south east stretch of the lake. Bulls are somewhere between 5 to 15 feet deep, depending on the water temperature. During hot days, they can be found somewhere 10 feet deep. If you use a fish finder, make sure to slow down. They bunch up around the cool-warm zone where the foods area. Cold days, they will be close to the surface looking for foods, especially at night. Channel cats..those puppies are hard to find during day time. You have to really search the deep water. Best spot is between the tire reefs and the concrete reef structure, just slightly southeast of the island. They like to hang around in the deeper part during the day. They come up near the southern shore during night time.

TheAsianGuy
07-14-2011, 10:02 AM
It would take me all day, because i dont like a lot of people in the boat with me maybe one other...When are you going back out?

If your boat happens to sink because you want to challenge BlackBerg, your boat will be another structure for the fishes to make babies with for us to fish from :LOL: j/k

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-14-2011, 10:19 PM
If your boat happens to sink because you want to challenge BlackBerg, your boat will be another structure for the fishes to make babies with for us to fish from :LOL: j/k

Me too...are little secret spot

blackberg
07-15-2011, 12:21 AM
IDK, kinda want to go somewhere monday
-bb

STOPBUGGING
07-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Ive been going the past three weeks and the gills have been on the chew at perris...there not as big as years ago but still fun to catch

Fish Hard

fish-o-haulic
07-15-2011, 01:32 PM

I never eat the park lake cats. I dont even really like trout all that much. I mainly eat blues bullhead channel and stripers.

fish-o-haulic
07-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh and i did eat this one fatty gill my grandpa caught one time. that thing was almost 2lbs. We were catfishing and something kept nibbling my bait i set the hook repeatedly but never got him. after him tickling my bait for 10mins strait my grandpa caught him. I thot it was a cat at first then when we caught him we realized he was a gill or a redear one of the two. Its been like 4years so i dont remember.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Oh and i did eat this one fatty gill my grandpa caught one time. that thing was almost 2lbs. We were catfishing and something kept nibbling my bait i set the hook repeatedly but never got him. after him tickling my bait for 10mins strait my grandpa caught him. I thot it was a cat at first then when we caught him we realized he was a gill or a redear one of the two. Its been like 4years so i dont remember.

Thats why i like the smaller ones