PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport Reservoir

Karyn
07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Ahugh.... sigh of relief!-
Summer school is almost over (7-15), son's getting married on Friday (7/15) No major responsibilities for 6 weeks :)

TIME FOR FISHING!
I want to go up to Bridgeport for a week or so... any suggestions on where I should fish or what I should use? Any info is greatly appreciated :) Thank you in advance.

Stormcrow
07-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Did you drive by DVL yesterday morning?

billy b
07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
and there's lots of folks who'll chime in ... who probably know more than me.

You've got lots of choices ... the Twin Lakes ... E Walker River ... Robinson and Buckeye Creek ... the Reservoir etc. Along with Kirman and some remote places. What's your preference?

Shore or boat?

Of course, you can get "Mundo" at Stay Bent Fishing to guide you and put you on to some fish

It always helps to stop in at Ken's in Bport and also check out their website.

Karyn
07-13-2011, 09:10 PM
and there's lots of folks who'll chime in ... who probably know more than me.

You've got lots of choices ... the Twin Lakes ... E Walker River ... Robinson and Buckeye Creek ... the Reservoir etc. Along with Kirman and some remote places. What's your preference?

Shore or boat?

Of course, you can get "Mundo" at Stay Bent Fishing to guide you and put you on to some fish

It always helps to stop in at Ken's in Bport and also check out their website.

Well Billy B, I will be straight with ya'... I want to catch a big brown trout. I purchased a book that rates a lake, tells you what is in the lake, a little history, etc. and Bridgeport is one I have highlighted. Then, I have a wish book that I write all the places of where I want to go and when I go there, I write if I liked it what I did, phone numbers of places etc... I prefer to not be eaten alive- but I am taking a garlic tablet that keeps the bugs away. Boat vs. shore- well, tell me what you think, and I might have to rent a boat once I get there. That would be fun. I do it at DVL all the time : )

I will check out what ever you suggest. Since I do not know the area, I am totally open to any suggestion. I have been looking on the BP website and checking it out. I will probably take my trailer. My plan is to hit Bridgeport, then swing over to Lake Tahoe and stay a few weeks. I just have to learn how to back up the trailer! I think I am going to enroll in truck driving school to learn (only joking) and give up the idea of fly fishing for now. I don't have time for both... Really, I am going to hook the toy haller trailer up to the truck and practice parking it and backing up. The other option is to pick a place that has pull throughs.

I WANT an RV- BUT- I have a goal to be completely debt free by Christmas- I only owe a few thousand on my Jeep... and I have a house. I won't be able to pay off the house- but I can pay off the JK :)

sb fishing
07-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Shoot me call this eve i will help you with any info you need.....

Mundo

billy b
07-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Here's some poop on BPort. I'm sure you'll get more from other posters.

First of all ... here's the contact to rent a boat at Bport.
(760) 932-7001 - Jeffrey

Don't say hardly anything to him ... especially don't question him ... he can be pretty volatile ... as others have posted in the past. I'll try to put some info together for you ... but I'm sure you'll get plenty of good stuff from others. I know Angry Agent is a veteran of the place.

golfish
07-14-2011, 04:19 PM
On Bridgeport, watch out for those big jet planes that try to land on you:LOL:

Big Country
07-14-2011, 05:12 PM
golfish...there is nothing better than standing on that dam when they are using it for a target to practice bombing. It is an unreal experience to say the least.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Karyn
Best bet for better chances of catching a big brown trout is target them very early or very late in the season.
After the "thaw" is when they are the the most hungry, and the most leary. Light lines for trolling (8-10 lb test) and lures are about 150 yds or more behind the boat.
The end of the season is easier to catch the big ones. They are looking to fatten themselves up getting ready for the winter and their spawning time. Also, brown trout are more active during the low light hours, either very early in the morn or late in the afternoon before dark, even overcast conditions.
My fav lures to troll for big browns are N0. 3 size Needlefish in the chartreuse or frog pattern colors, CD Rapalas in Rainbow, Firetiger, Brook, or Gold colors. Bigger lures like the Castaic plastic rainbow trout in the 7' size, A.C.Plug, and Jointed Rapalas could also be the lure of choice for those big boys, or girls.
Need lots of time to troll for the big ones, so every chance you get to troll lakes where big browns live, do it! I've been trying to get into the "Brown Baggers Club" (browns caught over 10 lbs) for years, closest is a 7.5 lb. But then again, be like my cousin and catch a 12 lber on your first day ever trolling for trout.....lucky bastid.
You never know.
Best of luck!
TTFM

AngryAgent
07-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Here's some poop on BPort. I'm sure you'll get more from other posters.

First of all ... here's the contact to rent a boat at Bport.
(760) 932-7001 - Jeffrey

Don't say hardly anything to him ... especially don't question him ... he can be pretty volatile ... as others have posted in the past. I'll try to put some info together for you ... but I'm sure you'll get plenty of good stuff from others. I know Angry Agent is a veteran of the place.

Jefferey is rather harmless as a whole but he is a bit eccentric and can say some off the wall stuff. He gave another guy I took with me a hard time and they exchanged some words but you just take Jefferey with a grain of salt (if you weigh more then 120lbs you can kick his *** anyways:Envious:) and don't pay attention to his eccentricities and you'll be fine. If you have a float tube and want to tube the reservoir Jefferey does a shuttle service in his boat (if it's working:Rolls Eyes:) and can drop you off in your float tube at the inlets or where ever the fish may be biting so you don't have to kick. When I was last there the fish were in front of the Marina and you didn't have to go far at all. About 40' in front of the break wall and just cruise back in forth jigging or a Carolina rigged orange power worm and it was really good.

I would also say I wouldn't give up on the idea of fly fishing up there this trip. Streamers produce big fish and are easy to manage much more so then dry fly. Streamers will also produce in the "Miracle Mile". Your best bet is to talk to Rick in Kens Sport to get the skinny on what the deal is at the time when you go. I have heard Lundy has been fishing well along with the Virginia's. Here is a link you can check out to get some of the latest information:http://www.kenssport.com/fishingreports.html

Twin Lakes can also produce some nice browns and does every year especially for the trollers. You may also want to check out Hunewill ranch as I have heard nothing but good things but you have to pay to play there as the saying goes.

Again your best bet is to talk to Rick to get the low down and if you already have a fly rod and reel I would take it with you and pick up some streamers.

Good luck

phishin phool
07-16-2011, 09:20 AM
If your serious about a big brown I would hit lower twin lake and use trout/tuna's great info, however I would use lead core and go a little deeper and fish late in the evening till dark. Upper twin and Bport are ok too. If ya want to catch alot of fish with a chance and some nice alpers or smaller browns or brookies I'd hit Virginia Lakes and fish with the fly and bubble with a green wooly bugger, (in fact I'm headin up there in 4 days:) Kens sporting goods or Carolyn Webb at Virginia Lakes are very helpful. Good Luck!

HBAR
07-16-2011, 10:03 AM
or hell take someone with you who used to drive a tow truck and backing vehicles up into places comes second nature them him, hmmmmmmmmm now I wonder where you could find someone like that?

HINT LOL

Karyn
07-16-2011, 10:19 AM
HBAR- What a great idea! I never thought of that! OR I could have someone teach me so I know. The only thing that I am nervous about it taking the trailer off of the truck and putting it back on. I think I can remember to go wide, watch the lines, the trailer is bigger than the truck and wider... go wide- don't take out a gas pump... no drive throughs (usually- I do not eat out)- don't go over the speed limit...

See, if I learn how to pull the trailer, then I am free to explore the whole US- not just CA. : ) HOWEVER- I am starting my RV fund with Octobers pay check. Then I can tow my JK and really explore!!

billy b
07-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Expected to hear from you.

TroutOnly
07-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Its always time to fish,do youre homework on it and go!!!!!!!!!!

Karyn
07-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone.
Trout Only-I love to just get in the Jeep and go, but on a trip like this, you gotta plan! Plan, plan, plan... I've been reading different posts, and you are right, doing your homework is important! I just wish my students would realize this early in the semester!

Billy B- Sent you a PM. Thanks. for your help.

HBAR- Thanks for the offer- I would take you up on your offer, but I think my one week trip turned into a two week adventure :)

Phishin Phool- It seems like you know what you are talking about. I am going to do as you say and plan the trip the way you have suggested- Virginia Lake it is... I just got new batteries for the camera! I just gotta learn how to post them! Thanks for your info... you're a smart cookie!

Thanks to everyone else for helping. I will take lots of photos :) You'll see holding up the camera to myself! LMAO!