PDA

View Full Version : Trout Streams Around Big Bear? Suggestions Appreciated.

ViajeroGrafico
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Going to fish in and around Big Bear this weekend for the first time. At the lake, I'll likely fish from the shore (though I do have a kayak, if it's recommended I use it). I'm interested in bass or trout- any suggested spots?

Also, I'd love to fish some streams in the area. Can anyone recommend a good place?

I'm pretty new to fishing, but I'm hooked, so to speak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

RTG
07-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Going to fish in and around Big Bear this weekend for the first time. At the lake, I'll likely fish from the shore (though I do have a kayak, if it's recommended I use it). I'm interested in bass or trout- any suggested spots?

Also, I'd love to fish some streams in the area. Can anyone recommend a good place?

I'm pretty new to fishing, but I'm hooked, so to speak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Well, if you had a boat I'd suggest trolling Needlefish for the trout. But you can still catch trout with Powerbait-some good spots from shore; Stanfield Cutoff, Windy Point and the dam area. The stream fishing is not happening right now. Bear Creek is good but it is special regs and not accessed via the Big Bear area-you need to get there from 7 Oaks.
Large and smallmouth bassin' should be decent right now, even though it has slowed some. Try weed edges and use "wacky-rigged" Senkos in "Baby Bass" pattern. That should get you started. And you should talk to the guys at Big Bear Sporting goods too. They can get you pointed in the right direction. One more thing-there is a fee for your Kayak if you use it.

ViajeroGrafico
07-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Great information, RTG. Your advice will come in handy. Thanks a lot.

DrePSP
07-14-2011, 01:24 PM
only stream fishing....sort of. that i know of, is a creek flowing into the lake at boulder bay. fish right near the inlet, under/next to the bridge. small split shot and 16" leader with a salmon egg or power bait. cast it up the stream (into the tunnel) and have it bounce along the bottom back to you. have few power baits to choose from.
Ill be up there tomorrow with my boat.

Natural Lefty
07-14-2011, 02:05 PM
You can fish that Boulder Bay creek above the tunnel now, too, since it's after Memorial Day, but before then, you aren't allowed to fish it. Sometimes it dries up, but this year it is probably still flowing and the lake is probably backing up through the tunnel.

Once, I tried to go to a creek north of Big Bear called Holcomb Creek and got on a horrible road, so I was glad to get back home safe and undamaged (turned back and never fished the creek), so be careful out there.

Viejo
07-14-2011, 02:13 PM
As stated earlier... you will have to get a permit to put a boat or float tube on Big Bear Lake. Permits have gone up since last year and I believe you will also have to have it inspected. That being said, Big Bear Lake fishes extremely well from shore for both Trout and warm water species.

DrePSP
07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
SO I went to BBL today and it was windy and chopy out there. we caught (my 10 year old daughter) 2 smaller trout on a silver/pink needle fish at 1 color out. My buddy and I got skunked. we used sliver, rainbow and other colors spinners at vasrious depth. tried power bait at the old honey holles and nothing. off bottom, various depth.. Went up to the stream inlet in boulder bay. Nothing. I dont know if it was the crappy weather, lake is fished out or they didnt like my brand, jsut wasnt feeling it today. Maybe next time.

ViajeroGrafico
07-26-2011, 09:56 AM
I had no luck at Big Bear. I found fishing from the shore to be kind of a hassle; either there were a lot of people all in the same spots, or lots of weeds/bushes and rocks. I saw a few guys w/ trout, but a lot of people getting skunked, too.

I also tried the Santa Ana River, where I got a few strikes but didn't catch anything. A couple of guys had a few trout, caught on salmon eggs.

I may try hitting Bear Creek next time; I'm learning I prefer streams to lakes when it comes to trout.

Thanks again for the info!

Natural Lefty
07-26-2011, 11:21 AM
ViajeroGrafico, that's sad. I hate being skunked.

I went to Big Bear once this year and nobody caught anything, including me, plus it's a long drive that tends to make me a bit carsick, so I haven't been back. I have been on lots of mountain roads, but for some reason, the ones in the S.B. mountains are so windy that they make me get dizzy like no others I have been on -- no vomiting, just a sort of unpleasant nauseous feeling, but maybe that's just me. Sometimes I get bad allergies up there too.

castle
07-27-2011, 09:14 PM
ViajeroGrafico, that's sad. I hate being skunked.

I went to Big Bear once this year and nobody caught anything, including me, plus it's a long drive that tends to make me a bit carsick, so I haven't been back. I have been on lots of mountain roads, but for some reason, the ones in the S.B. mountains are so windy that they make me get dizzy like no others I have been on -- no vomiting, just a sort of unpleasant nauseous feeling, but maybe that's just me. Sometimes I get bad allergies up there too.

Not to mention the idiots that tail gate you all the way to Barton Flats and only pass you when you make your turn off.

DockRat
07-29-2011, 06:51 AM
only stream fishing....sort of. that i know of, is a creek flowing into the lake at boulder bay.

Lol , I used to fish that creek from 1968 to 1971 3rd to 5th grade.
5 min walk from our old cabin. It was always great in spring.
DR

Karyn
07-29-2011, 07:15 AM
There are many little streams up there that I love to fish in : ) If you go to Bass Pro Shops they have a free BBL map that shows the trails and it has rivers on the map too. The map is against the wall on your way out. SOME of the roads are car accessable, but others- well, you need a lifted 4x4 to access them. :LOL:stay away from black diamond trails (2nx17)

DO NOT TRY JOHN BULL IN A CAR!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVQIY7zRqhM

This is not my Jeep- I've done the trail many, many, many, many times... with a good spotter.

The trails are rated. You probably could get to Bear creek up the Glass Rd side-in a car- mostly a dirt road, no real rock climbs. Also, if you go up the 38 you can hit the Santa Ana River area off to the right, near Jenks Lake.

There are a few other places up there that I know of but you need a 4x4.

Cameron
07-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Wow lots of confusing info in this thread so I wont add any further info that confuses here. If u decide u want to head back up here try mid week for the lake or after the temp of the water drops back to the mid 50's, less idiots in boats.
Believe it or not the lake is great this year because they had to let out so much water.
There are a lot of creeks up here but not many holding any sizable fish. As for holcomb creek it to only holds lil natives & its all bad road from 3n16 to GVL. Deep creek is a great creek I hear along with hook creek.If u can avoid Barton flats do I prefer to enter up at the south fork & work down to converse. 4x4 is best on all dirt roads just because u never know.
PM me next time u come up ( give me a couple days notice) & I will help hit some fat holdovers on the lake.:Secret: