PDA

View Full Version : The real deal on quagga inspections

Topwater Terry
07-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Guys-when the inspections do start, which should be soon, here is how it will go...
Your boat will inspected to make sure it is clean and dry, you know, the common sense things, no water in livewell, make sure the plug is out when you enter the gate, no dirty anchor ropes...
Also, if you have have a built in ice chest in your boat, don't put the ice in there until after the inspection.
When you leave the lake, you will get a cable for the boat, I guess the toungue area. You will be good to go at:
Pyramid, Piru, Perris, Silverwood are all in line to accept Castaic's tags. Too bad DV won't except Castaic's tags, but they are so boneheaded down there it's a miracle any boats get on there at all.
As for tubes, there was some grumbling at the last FOCL meeting about launching only at the ramp, hopefully we can do something about that, it's a long way to kick to the north end. Either way, at the next meeting, if I get any more info, I'll pass it on. Sorry if any of this was covered in the previous quagga post, it was waaaayyyy too long for me to go through...
Terry

Buford
07-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks Terry! I'm glad they are accepting the Castaic tags at the other lakes, it does make it easier.

Pete Marino
07-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks Terry..

I'll see you this friday if youre their again.. If so, I want my burgers medium rare por favor!!! lol

Howd you do at your club event last sat?

Pete

laserbrn
07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the update! I need to join that FOCL, sounds like a good thing.

kaneo
07-13-2011, 09:06 AM
terry, rumor has it that they will be allowing boats with tags to go into another line. , or even use the new gate, or launch at the west ramp ? my only problem is, especially in summer. is having to wait for other boats to be inspected when im already tagged !! you know how long the line can get and it will take forever to get in if they have to inspect the boat's in front of others that are already tagged... i speak to lori quite often concerning this inspection process.... did they mention anything about using 2 lines ? or a different gate ? and im still hearing the inspections are not going to start until sept. ? thanks for the heads up !!

laserbrn
07-13-2011, 09:21 AM
They can't seriously be thinking about inspecting AT the gate are they? Now that I can see as being too invasive. It's going to take HOURS to get onto the lake in the morning if that's the case. I assumed it would be a situation where you get inspected, you carry your inspection paperwork with you and you are allowed through the front gate (or you have the band from your last trip).

It will be really aweful if they do it in the boat line.

SDDave
07-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Where else would they do the inspection... I'm sure when this gets started there will be some confusion and longer wait times but maybe they will open up the other entrance they built years ago and split the entry to non tag and tagged. For locals or anyone that wants to get it done ahead of time I'm sure they will do them at the head quarters at the lower lake office and you can take your boat there and get it done before hand.
But just like when someone gets a annual permit on a Saturday morning and stops the line for ten minutes it's going to be a very slow process so I would imagine to they'd have to do to entrances.
The only lake I've been to that does it is Cachuma and I have to say that that launch ramp runs very smoothly for a small ramp!

They can't seriously be thinking about inspecting AT the gate are they? Now that I can see as being too invasive. It's going to take HOURS to get onto the lake in the morning if that's the case. I assumed it would be a situation where you get inspected, you carry your inspection paperwork with you and you are allowed through the front gate (or you have the band from your last trip).

It will be really aweful if they do it in the boat line.

laserbrn
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
If they are very serious about not impeding regular boaters and having the ability to do thorough inspections with minimal impact on lake traffic I'd consider moving the shack (obviously building a new one). They have that huge parking area up there right behind the shack that no one uses. Seems like it would keep things flowing if they had a line to bypass inspection and then a pull off area for those that need to be inspected.

Basssss
07-13-2011, 11:12 AM
You know what that means guys,.... with the new tagging system comes NO MORE CRAWDAD FISHING:ROFL:

Btbdodgers
07-13-2011, 11:58 AM
its funny tho the people at the booths dont even know whats gunna happen with the inspections, i went back to back days last week and the guy said yup inspections starting september, then the next day this girl working there said no they arnt doing it anymore, they ran outa money, they used it all. LOL

Btbdodgers
07-13-2011, 12:00 PM
You know what that means guys,.... with the new tagging system comes NO MORE CRAWDAD FISHING:ROFL:

anybody can get away with crawdad fishing LOL!!!!!!

fishinone
07-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Can Zebra Mussels attach to crawdads?:EyePop:

That Dang Guy
07-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Perris does inspections and it's a fairly painless process. There are two separate lines, inspections and everyone else. If you need to be inspected, there definitely will be a delay. If you don't, you shoot through like you normally do and the ramp attended verifies the tag, removes it and lets you through. You have the option of getting another tag on the way out from the attendant to expedite your return trip.

Inspections are pretty quick once you get used to it. Drop your motor and open up all your hatches for inspection. Gives it a quick run over and sometimes uses a mechanic bench roller to check the underside. Usually 5-10 minutes if your the only one in line.

So the two line process does no hamper the regulars and isn't an hour long endure to get inspected.

Basssss
07-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Can Zebra Mussels attach to crawdads?:EyePop:
Thats what they assume

Topwater Terry
07-13-2011, 05:18 PM
They are talking about having a seperate line, but just hold your ponies until I get more info from the next meeting. Until the tagging program actually starts, yes, there could be a lil confusion about this info at the kiosks...Yes, you should join FOCL, very good group, lots of worthwhile projects throughout the year. Pete, fishing was horrible last week, 3 days on the water, nothing! My partner got one keeper saturday, good thing it was a team event! I got burned out on club fishing a couple of years ago, took a break, and am in a much smaller club now, zlfbass federation, good group of guys. Not sure if I'll be up at the ramp friday, but medium rare burgers? Just hold off on all the second guessing about the quagga inspections, guys, sounds so far to me a lot more common sense that Lake four stroke (DV), and not nearly as gestapo as Vail Lake North (Casitas).

Pete Marino
07-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Okay Terry.. If you are there friday Ill see ya then..

As far as the lines and long waits... We have it on every lake around here guys...Its not as bad as you may think. At DVL for instance they have an inspection booth where you pull up to to get an inspection if you need it after you go thru the main gate....it doesnt take long at all. If you are tagged then they simply remove the tag and off you go..
At Perris (which is easily as busy as Castaic during the Summer) they have two lines at the entrance. One for inspections and the other for tags... The inspections take about 3 mintues or so, so its not a long wait...

Once the whole inspection thing starts, more and more of the locals will be tagged before entering so its always a pretty quick harmless deal.. If you arent tagged just make sure you are clean and dry and you will never have an issue..
The guys that get turned away always say "they found a little water"....Clean and Dry is clean and Dry... Its not too tough to make happen. A bit tougher in the winter but still nothing an hour of cleaning and drying shouldnt take care of...
You will be surprised how many people will get tagged when they leave which makes it quick and easy to get back in the lake another day...even the Pleasure boaters at Perris get their tags.. The inspection lines are never longer than 1-2 boats..

And yes crawdads can get quagga mussles on them. Ive seen pics of crawdads COVERED in mussles...its a trip.

Pete

MonsterGuppy
07-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Quote "When you leave the lake, you will get a cable for the boat, I guess the toungue area" Some newer boat trailers have removabe toungues...get a second one and you could drop your boat into any lake then take the tagged toungue put it on and your good to go... I would not do that but it may be better to tagg it a different way. Also I need to remove my trailer toungue when i park my boat in my driveway.

fishfinder
07-13-2011, 06:01 PM
so if i get this right, once i am tagged i can come in with my boat soaking wet. ice in the coolers or livewell. right? hope this keeps the muscles out, but i have my doubts. are they checking towbles for muscles? or any other water toys? life jackets? eventually they will get in. they need to find a way to kill them instead.

Topwater Terry
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Dude, I said "I guess the toungue area." I didn't say "for sure the toungue area, without a doubt, on a stack of bibles"...geez...maybe it will further up under the trailer someplace...but you know, people might use different trailers each time they hit the lake, they might several in their backyards! Relax till I get more info...soon...

Pete Marino
07-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Ive seen tagging systems from Cachuma down to DVL and everyone Ive seen is attatched (Banded) from the strap/hook to the eyelet in front of the boat.

Most are the paper tags but I know Cachuma and I think maybe Lopez have an actual thin cable that is banded on there. They simply snip it to remove it.

Fishfinder... Once a boat is tagged it will NOT be inspected so yes you can have your plug in and ice in your ice chests...it wont matter because its been tagged and unless the tag is gone you will be good to go..

Pete

fishfinder
07-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Ive seen tagging systems from Cachuma down to DVL and everyone Ive seen is attatched (Banded) from the strap/hook to the eyelet in front of the boat.

Most are the paper tags but I know Cachuma and I think maybe Lopez have an actual thin cable that is banded on there. They simply snip it to remove it.

Fishfinder... Once a boat is tagged it will NOT be inspected so yes you can have your plug in and ice in your ice chests...it wont matter because its been tagged and unless the tag is gone you will be good to go..

Pete

sounds fair to me.......also crowley tags them too. for mine they put it throught the eye bolt on the bow, and wired it to my trailer.

Pete Marino
07-13-2011, 08:37 PM
wow I didnt know Crowley does it too.. but it makes sense I guess...

Damn thanks alot, Now Im missing the Sierras... Crowley, Convict, Sabrina, TwinLakes...oh my....

Pete