PDA

View Full Version : Gonna try Jackson lake, then Silverwood.. Any advice?

dkinla
07-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey everyone,

Was gonna try Jackson lake for the am trout bite with my dad.. Then head over to Silverwood afterwards for some striper from the shore.

Never fished Silverwood from shore... (we manage a striper or two from pyramid/castaic from shore).

Any tips on where to setup? I don't think my dad can do a long trek to your secret locations... But something reasonable would be great!

Thx for any advice in advance. I think we'll try nightcrawlers and dines there.

Viejo
07-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Have you driven from Jackson Lake to Silverwood? It's well over an hour and a half on some supremely windy roads + your drive time from your house. The trout bite has been pretty good at Silverwood....you might consider just spending the day there. If you are willing to drive that much, why not go up to the Kennedy Meadows area for the day and catch Goldens?

fish-o-haulic
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Yea thats a pretty long trip. Better just pick one unless your just dead set on going to both. But from what ive heard silverwood is tough right now unless you have a money spot you know of to catch fish. But one person can confirm this. seal.

dkinla
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey guys thx for the driving advice... Guess it's been a long time since I headed up there. From what I remember at least.. It wasn't that far from the 15 to get to wrightwood... And not that far from the 15 to Silverwood either. Lol. Oh well... I think we'll have plenty of time to fish the am.. Have a relaxing lunch.. Then make our way to Silverwood slowly.

Hoping to hear some more thoughts about shorefishing from Silverwood..

mxwrench
07-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Yeah, rent a boat!

seal
07-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Silverwood from shore and during the daytime gonna be a little rough for the stripers, cats would be more likely. If you stay till dark though it could be good in the last couple hours of the day all depends on the weather and stuff right now they have been active just not everyday.

The boat suggestion is a good one if fishing during the daytime.

SHAD MAN 09
07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Well seal is up to game on that lake seems to always be his hideout......but Id say if your hitting Jackson keep some gills and take um to silverwood and there you have it live bait illegal yet it works have never done that here only in colorado where its legal but try swimbaits are spinners and chicken liver if your lookin for cat but a little bird told me that marshmellow nightcrawler blown up is the way to go 2 foot leader cuz they r not on the bottom. But good luck to you and hope to read a post about how u got something.

fish-o-haulic
07-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I do not suggest using live bait, if dfg found out they would be all over you. That is if other fisherman dont find you first.

SHAD MAN 09
07-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I do not suggest using live bait, if dfg found out they would be all over you. That is if other fisherman dont find you first.

I always like this site you can say things like use bluegill and say its illegal in your post and some mr know it all will say some **** like this lmao .

dkinla
07-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey thx again everyone for the advice... Lookin forward to spending some bank time with the ol man

fish-o-haulic
07-13-2011, 06:44 PM
I always like this site you can say things like use bluegill and say its illegal in your post and some mr know it all will say some **** like this lmao .

You took my comment the wrong way, But i guess i forgot the LOL thats my bad. no need to be insulting. but to be honest your the one who decided to say **** first. ON this site you never know who is serious anymore.

Natural Lefty
07-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Hello Dkinla. I haven't been to Jackson Lake in a long time, but I fished from the docks and shore at Silverwood yesterday afternoon. You can fish on the docks if you pay, although the gate and sign make it looked closed. However, fishing was really slow there, then they kicked us off at 6 p.m. One guy caught a small striper, and the same group had a Bluegill too, and the employee had 2 or 3 good size Bluegills he was filleting by the boathouse. The big one looked like about 3/4 pound, which is really big for Silverwood. But that was it from the docks. I went over to the rocks to the right of the launch ramp after 6, didn't get bites at first, but they started biting just when I was about to give up and go to Cleghorn. I was using long 5-6 foot leaders and nightcrawler pieces under a bobber. The infamous Silverwind made the fish difficult to hook, and I was getting bites anywhere from about 5-6 feet from shore to 50-60 feet from shore. I eventually caught a little bass, a sculpin and 2 White Catfish. Everything I caught, bit near shore (easier to hook than farther away with the wind), so it is possible to catch Catfish at least, from shore there. There is a picture of the 2 Catfish on Kelster's super duper thread about Lake Perris.

I hope this helps. By the way, Silverwood's level is really high, the weather was surprisingly cool, and there isn't much rockhopping necessary where I fished but a little, if you are concerned about your dad getting around. I think Cleghorn might be good for striper/catfish shorefishing too.

QB7940
07-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Yea I caught that small stiper at the docks yesterday. I was vert jigging for crappie and it took a 1/32nd ounce tube jig. I was broken off 5-6 times, by striper in the last boat slip. Using 4lb test but my knott tying isnt all that great. Saw two double digit largemouth bass cruising. The striper are chasing those baby largemouth, vert jig a few feet under a school of baby bass and see what happens...

seal
07-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Wait a couple days........

Natural Lefty
07-13-2011, 10:43 PM
That was you? The employee said it was caught on a crappie jig, but the guy I talked to said it was with a meal worm on a jig. Dang, I saw a school of baby bass not long before they made us leave, but I didn't think of fishing a few feet below them. If 5-6 fish broke you off, they must have been pretty good size.

dkinla
07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Hey thx everyone for the tips.. esp Natural Lefty. We just got back from Jackson Lake.. We limited out on trout.. Had my dad catch/reel all of them.. That's a beautiful, small spot. I'll keep in mind the info about Silverwood lake.

Will post up pics/vid from Jackson trip later in another post.

This forum is great!

Natural Lefty
07-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Good luck at Silverwood, then! I'm glad you did well at Jackson. I am thinking about going back and trying QB's technique of fishing below schools of small fish from the dock with jigs, etc. Sometimes in the past, the shad were so thick there that they are virtually everywhere and create a false bottom on fish finders, and sportfish were all over the area too, but not on Tuesday. I guess you need to find the little fish the bigger ones want to eat these days, in order to find the bigger ones. However, I seem to be a bit busy at least for a few days. Here's another thing I forgot to mention if you are thinking of fishing from the docks: I think they are only open from Monday-Thursday these days. They used to be open on Fridays but last time I went on a Friday, they said they were only open Monday-Thursday. I wish they could be like Lake Perris where the docks are open to fishing everyday.

tacklejunkie
07-15-2011, 10:48 AM
I've done Jackson to Silverwood in one day before. It's not an hour and a half at all.
It's more like a half hour to 40 minutes max. That's with doing 25-35 through Wrightwood.