PDA

View Full Version : OUR TRIP TO OCEANSIDE Family and Fishing success

JL
07-12-2011, 08:26 PM
About 10 days ago i asked for advice about fishing around Oceanside. Thanks to those few who responded. We arrived on July 6 and docked the boat for the next 6 days in one of the Guest slips managed by the harbor police. Very reasonable and included power hookup and fresh water. Dock was clean and there was easy access with parking on the street quite close to the slips. Harbor police were very helpful. First time out fishing the next day i had 3 adults and 6 of my grandsons. That made me and my sons deck heads change hooks, bait and taking fish off the lines. Went off the pipe that lays about 2 mi south of the harbor and about 1/2 mile out from shore. Portions of the pipe metered several fish. Water was 67 degrees at the surface. Clear Day 1- 2 ft seas with chop. Anhored on top of one spot that rose from 45 feet to 37 feet in depth. . First catch by one of the kids was 18 inch Sand bass, then about 30 sculpin/ cabazon mix with about 10 at legal size. Then another sand bass at 16 inch. One small halibut. About 3 hours in the Mackerel came in and we let the kids haul in about 20 of those. Great Day for the kids
Next Day wife and i headed out the harbor late in the morning. Searched out some other recommended spots but the swells grew very high and winds came up to add a high chop. Turned back into the harbor. Decided to drift the harbor. I caught a 21 inch Halibut and not be be out done ---- my wife caught a 25 inch Halibut about 10 minutes later. Caught another 6 or 7 shorts but had a great time. ON the last day after our entire family of 35 left my wife and i spent the last 4 hours fishing the harbor looking for larger halibut. One one of the last passses i decided to start in a new location and we hit a school of spotted bass. 3 large about 17 inch plus in 5 minutes.

Allow me to share that this was the first time in several years that we were able to gather our children their spouses and our 17 grandchildren in one location together for 5 days. God has Blessed my wife and I with a remarkable family who all get along and love each other very much. Thank you Lord for an unforgettable time wtih my family and fishing.

troutdog
07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a great trip with your family, congrats on the fish and thanks for sharing your adventure!

TD

murrieta angler
07-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Hey JL,
Sounds like everything turned out well.
Glad the GK's were able to get a nice mix of fish.
Did you end up keeping any of the fish to eat?
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

DockRat
07-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Great trip with the kids. WTG
DR

Wingnut
07-13-2011, 09:02 PM
That sounds like a really special trip with the family... very well done. :Big Grin:

oakboy
07-14-2011, 07:13 AM
God is good, glad to hear you had a great time!

<><
KP

Tunaslam
07-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Congrats to all the family on a fun week of fishing!

5150fishn
07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Nothing beats a good fishing trip then spending it with the ones you love. Thanks for the report.

JL
07-14-2011, 07:53 PM
yes the 24 inch halibut ... good not resist having Halibut on the bar b cue.

russ88
07-14-2011, 10:27 PM
You r blessed with a great family... Cheers for many more fishing adventures!

Newfishsmell
07-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Great way to spend some time together.
Thanks for the report.

JapanRon
07-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi JL,

Sounds like a very successful trip and great fun.

Good for you guys,

JapanRon