PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 day to Catalina Island x 2

Newfishsmell
07-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Took a ride on the SportKing Thursday 7/7 & Monday 7/11 for some Calico Bass fishing at the Island.

After seeing the Calico's in the fish reports i had to GO ! ... 1st trip was on Thursday 7/7 . After leaving the docks we headed to the bait boat outside the harbor and a little ways down to stock up on the anchovies .The ride across to the Island was as smooth as its gets. On the way to the Island we get passed by a boat pulling a skier behind him , Must of been going around 50mph and holding on for dear life ... lol .

Fishing was good from the get-go . Most guys fishing the chovie with a small sliding sinker and casting along the kelp , Light line was the key . After i put a couple bass in the sack i could hear the Captain saying Bonito ! " Somebody fly line a bait " don't have to ask me twice , I cut my line and take off the sinker and tie the hook back on. I make a move to the bow & cast out , give it a little line and let it swim - when my line takes off ... YEAH BABY ! HOOK-UP ..... this Bonito took me from the bow to center stern before i got the upper hand , man these little guys are tough and loads of fun on light gear.

Soon after i switched to the plastics and did pretty good on the Bass casting towards the kelp and just letting it sink when the Bass would pick it up on the drop ! put it in gear and - crank , crank , crank !! ..... fish on .
The water clarity was excellent ! you could see the kelp stringers for at least 25 FT below the surface.

Day Two - Monday 7/11

1st stop - bait barge . This time we pick up some Sardines & Chovies . Myself and several other anglers take advantage of the stop and make a few warm up cast with the plastics. After filling up on bait & a little casting practice we head out.

The ride over to the Island seemed quick, and it wasn't long before we started getting a few Bass. Most guys fishing the sardines in the kelp .I started with the plastics , 4in Big Hammers & 4in Blams on 3/4 ounce lead heads with 12lb line . Some good size Bass coming over the rail on the sardines. I caught my best Calico of the day casting towards a boiler with a 4in blam . This one hit on the retrieve and put up a great fight , keeping my rod bent well giving those head shakes.

I only fished bait once for the day when i wasn't getting bit on the swim bait . I fly line the dines towards the kelp cast after cast and still couldn't get bit. So i switch back to plastics . I go from a dark color to a clear w/red flake and .... BAM !! I get 3 fish in a row , 2 Bass and one small Cuda. That was enough to keep me fishing the plastics the rest of the day.

There were a few guys slinging the iron for some Cuda action , and put some legals on the boat , but you had to work for it. And a Barracuda did take jackpot for the day . At our last stop of the day i pulled out 4 nice calico's , one coming on my very last cast as the boat was pulling away to end the day .

Great trip with a great group of people , until next time heres a few pics
Bass set-up ... Revo winch and Graphite USA rod w/12lb line

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/SportKing/01640x478.jpg

View from above

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/SportKing/02640x479.jpg

Nice legal

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/SportKing/03640x412.jpg

My best of the day ... :Big Grin:

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/SportKing/04640x513.jpg

JAG107
07-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Great report, thanks for posting up!