PDA

View Full Version : Tips on cleaning reels after fishing in saltwater?

fisheromen
07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Hey guys,

I'm primarily a freshwater kinda guy, but will have the chance to do some surf fishing while on vacation in Oxnard, near Manalay Bay.

2 things -

1) How do I clean my reel(s) after using it in saltwater?

2) Any suggestions on what to use to catch...anything.... would be much appreciated. :Embarrassed:

Thanks for you help,
Fisheromen.

vanillagurilla
07-11-2011, 10:27 PM
rinse Them very well with fresh water, i rinse my gear off with the shower at the beach and the with the hose when i get home.

lovefofish
07-11-2011, 10:30 PM
vanilla hit the nail on the head with that one. What I do is if the reel has easy opening to the spool i take it of and wash it with the hose too.

as for bait check out the tip of the month section.

AngryAgent
07-11-2011, 10:43 PM
If you have a star drag lock it down if you have a lever drag lock it down all the way. Take a sponge with some dish soap and lightly clean up your reel getting all the salt off of it. Rinse very gently never submerging your reel completely under water. You could almost splash water onto your reel to rinse it properly. Locking dawn the drag basically seals the reel up so nothing can float in there while you're sponging it off and rinsing it. Let dry, after it's dry loosen your drag, put your clicker on and store.

DockRat
07-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Alot of guys carry a spray bottle of H20. Good to spray off lures and hooks, keep it in your car or on a boat.
Good on a multi day trip or overnighter too. It is bad to spray with too much water pressure like at a carwash or even a hose nozzle tuned to a high direct spray. The high pressure can get water where you don't want it.

I just toss my crap in the car and usually don't wash off nothing, only the conventional reels when on a boat.
Not recommended because the Krocs and LC hooks can rust and bad for the reel.
DR

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy123/di_rose/hook.jpg

Nessie Hunter
07-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Surf fishing is the Reel Killer!!! (ask Art)....

A lot depends on any pre-service you have done to the reels..
All my Reels (fresh & Salt) have been serviced right out of the box & as needed after that..
Interior painted with Marine Grease, drags greased with Cals, everything has a very light coat of some type of Protection.

Fresh water, not much, quick rinse & dry in warm dry spot...

Saltwater.. Due to the pre-service, I will rinse ASAP with fresh water, then at home I will put them in a bucket or sink and allow them to soak for Hr or so. Rinse and dry as above..

Saltwater will get inside and corrode and leave Salt deposits all over. These deposits will pit & corrode and stop bearings from turning in a single outing.. Soon its Toast!!!

Surf??? Double Whammy, Salt water and Sand gets all over inside. Regular tear downs and service is mandatory..

stepchild
07-12-2011, 08:30 AM
surf is horrible for reels

n1ckxlam
07-12-2011, 08:45 AM
its intimidating to take apart reels for the sake of cleaning all the parts but there is really no substitute for getting to know your reel, taking it apart to regularly service it with the appropriate cleaning, greasing and oiling. Send it in by all means, but doin it yourself is beneficial since you can do it whenever you feel it neccessary.
pull up your reel schematics and set up a work are where you can keep track of all the parts. if you need take pictures of the steps so you dont lose track of where the little washers and go and where the gears fit.
if you refurb your reel on a regular basis with machine oils for the bearings and cals grease for the parts, your reel can very well cast and retrieve better than when it was new.
takes a little work but the rewards will save you time and money in the long run, especially in the salt

Cangler
07-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Hollywood Beach can be tough,even though it looks really fishy.You're better off
going north to 5th Street for BSP,YFC,Beans and SNGF on sand crabs or Rays and small shark on bait and wait cut squid.
CIH for Butts on live dines , small bass and smelt from the rocks on plastics

As for reels , I just buy cheap ones every couple of months

CraigH
07-13-2011, 12:18 PM
I usually buy a product called salt x or salt away that comes in a spray bottle. When I'm done fishing saltwater for the day I spray the rod, reel, and any lures that have been in the water and throw everything in the back of the truck. I rinse everything off with fresh water when I get home or the next day (I have a 2 hour drive home from San Diego so I figure the spray stops any corrosion before it starts).

kendo
07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Best way to keep your reel from suffering from salt is to learn it and know how to take it apart and service it. I know a lot of people say to smother it in grease but understand some reels with some parts will cause failure if you grease them heavily. Example Diawa SS1600 anti reverse will fail if you cover it in grease. Also shimano anti reverse bearing hates to be over greased. Best bet wash with fresh water after your done then take home and do the same. Dont soak your reel as you will cause water to get inside and get locked inside with salt residue causing it to spread like wildfire. Rinse and open to verify that nothing is inside and grease any place where the water might get inside. Best bet not to let water inside. When you take apart your reel to service it.. make sure to get ALL of the old grease out before doing a full overhaul! If you leave old grease with salt residue there will be no use in just adding grease on top of it.