PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio sleep over - cold and wet, but worth it!

snospdr
07-11-2011, 08:06 PM
So, I took the boat and dogs up to the lake Friday eve. to explore around for stripers and go after them Saturday a.m. Thank God for my sleeping bag cause the fog rolled in getting everything cold and wet. I anchored up in the cove across from the marina, put a couple lines out with anchovies, dropped a shad light in the water and kicked back. I drew alot of bait to the light, but they were not shad as I had hoped. One inch minnows of some sort by the thousands. At midnight I woke to my drag gojng off, but I could tell by the speed it was a catfish. Put a whole anchovy on each line and went back to sleep. At 4:30, woke up to drag screaming! Ah, gotta be a striper! Grabbed the rod and waited for it to load up, only to have the fish drop the bait...Oh well, might as well get it together for the troll. Got started near deep water by the cove, saw no bait or stripers on the fishfinder and WHAM 28 inch fish on the u rig. Trolled until about 2 pm with a couple other grabs but no takers then headed.for the barn. Funny how one good fish makes it all worthwhile!

cutbait
07-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Nice report. Good to see others out

TroutOnly
07-11-2011, 10:29 PM
were you in the pontoon boat with the two yellow labs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,

snospdr
07-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Yeah T/O...that was me...By the way, ' sorry if I came around too close in front of you on that one turn. I didn't realize you were moving that quickly! I was glad to read that you found a bait ball somewhere. I spotted some stripers on the fish finder the eve. before in that area but nothing on Saturday. Besides a few little spots of bait here and there, it was like a desert down there for me. I have to hand it to you, you are a picture of concentration out there! You're like my dogs waiting for dinner! LOL

TroutOnly
07-12-2011, 09:07 AM
not only do really watch the graph but i have the fish alarm set also,ive learned if youre not paying attetion in a bleak of an eye you could misss that baitball or school of attacking fish,,,,,the fish were extremly scattered,,,,i did get two big pigs,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,

snospdr
07-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Great tip, Bob and nice job on the pigs! Did you manaqe to get yours earlier in the day or later? I figured I might as well stop around 2 and wondered if you'd stay at it.
You said you were about out of gas at some point....I almost ran out so I went to the marina to fuel up. Damn! At almost $6 a gallon there I thought I'd better fuel up ahead of time next trip!
Hey, I just put a water mister on my bimini and it works great in the heat! 'Kept me and the dogs cooled off when it started getting toasty...... snowspider

TroutOnly
07-12-2011, 10:48 AM
what i ment was i was out of gas,-energy,pressing that hard all day worn me out,im no spring chicken any more,the fish and the bait were there they were just not active,,,,the big ones got caught around two in the afternoon during a sweep of an area non for big shad balls,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,

snospdr
07-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh...Got it. Yeah, I know the feeling. 'Glad to hear you stuck it out and got those nice fish. I just figured it was over and done until evening. I'll be more tempted to press on next time! Thanks for your report, T/O!

snospdr
07-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Great tip, Bob and nice job on the pigs! Did you manaqe to get yours earlier in the day or later? I figured I might as well stop around 2 and wondered if you'd stay at it.
You said you were about out of gas at some point....I almost ran out so I went to the marina to fuel up. Damn! At almost $6 a gallon there I thought I'd better fuel up ahead of time next trip!
Hey, I just put a water mister on my bimini and it works great in the heat! 'Kept me and the dogs cooled off when it started getting toasty...... snowspider