PDA

View Full Version : 7/9/11 Shorefishing

See Chris Fish
07-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Arrived at the lake around 4:30. Ran into 2QuikMotors and TroutDog! They'll let anyone into this place!! lmao
How'd you guys do out there?
Scored some mackrel from the tackle shop and got the low down from the staff.

This was only the third time I've targeted catfish, ie, I don't know what I'm really doing, at all.
This is NOT like trout fishing!! lol
I was going to head to the spot I was at last weekend, but a dad/daughter were just pulling out gear. Bummer, that was a good spot last weekend. Got three cats there. Next spot taken. Found a spot and set up the gear and cast out.
Using 1/0 circle hooks and chunks of frozen mackrel.
Got my first bite, catfish 3lb 10oz at about 6:30. Bite was slow till around 10:30. Landed 2 more, both 3lbers.
Lost a lot in the bushes, about 8.
Frustrating! Oh well, I'm learning. Tighten the drag more, I'm used to using lite gear so it's a learning curve I'm on.

Really digging the night time at the Vine! It's a lot of fun! Great challenge and totally different environment at night.

BTW--****
Big THANKS out to the Irvine Lake Pro Staffer, Dave.
(He so reminds me of the lead singer of the group, The Cars. Love that band. Just sayin.)
He gave my friend John (Bobber Boy) and I some GREAT advice on the catfishing methods that day.
It was at the music festival a few weeks ago. The lake was really crowded and the staff was way busy.
He was just passing by and was saying hi. We mentioned to him that we were going to try catfishing for the first time and he stoped and spent at least 20 minutes with us, giving all kinds of GREAT advice.
His advice is why I'm at least catching cats, while learning to get better. I farmed a BIG ONE in the trees that night. WOW!!! Those things get the heart pumping fast!!!
THANKS, DAVE!!!

I do have a few questions. Most of the cats are swallowing the circle hooks. Only 2 have got lipped. All the rest, deep. I thought circle hooks were supposed to get in the lip more. I let the cat just take the bait and don't set the hook like in trout fishing. I just reel in. I do leave the hook tip point exposed as I bait the hook, no weights, just bait.

Am I using wrong size hook, too big/small?
Too big/small chunk of mac?
It just happens? It's the positioning of the bait when the fish swallows it?
Or any tip on how to get the hook out easier when they swallow it deep?

Thanks for any advice.

mjc89
07-10-2011, 07:55 PM
good job on the cats. it wuz good the other night for me and my dad too. but they werent bitting in the day time. they started wen i got dark. we managed to land 8 in about one and a half hours. as for the circle hooks they will gut hook a fish. wut happens is that they swallow it way in and wen u start reeling the point gets caught on the insides. it happens alot. but it lip hooks um most of the time. wut i do wen this happens is i just leave a hook in um if i cant get it out. i use the carolina rig with a snap swivel so i just unsnap it and leave the hook with the line sticking out so i remember to take it out later. i take a bunch of hooks already made with leaders to save time and save u a headache. hope this helps.

Hitts0n
07-10-2011, 08:43 PM
This is why I fish snelled hooks half the time.It sucked if the bite is hot and u are trying to get a hook out.
I just unclip the swivel and hook a new one on.But yeah unless u are bored,or the bite is slow,leave the hook in them and retie.
Great job out there! Get your boat and team ready for the co-op !! Boat fishing at night is a party in one out in the flats!
See you soon !!

Thisfool
07-10-2011, 09:36 PM
right on Chris nice job on the kitties

troutdog
07-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Good seeing you Chris, sounds like you had a nice evening...wtg! We lost waaay to many fish in the spot we anchored up in, lots of short bites and I only managed a small kitty. Circle hooks are great, leave the hook exposed and don't hesitate trying a 3/0-4/0 targeting the stockers and 8/0 for the big chunks when targeting the big boyz. See you at the co-op!

TD

5150fishn
07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Nice job out there Chris. I have yet to hit the Vine to fish the kitty's. I too am a newbie with the cats. I will have to hit it soon.

VineAssist
07-11-2011, 11:19 AM
A standard 1/0 style hook is just fine for fishing a chunck of Mackeral for the stockers up to about 20lb fish. It all depends on the size of the chunck you are using. If you are using a fairly decent size chunck you might want to bump up your hook size to a 2/0 even a 3/0 if targeting the larger fish.

You will lose some fish in the brush in some areas. A good idea is to keep slight tension on the fish once they get into the brush. Its a little trick you can use to get them out. They will swim out the same way they came in basically once they feel less resistance from the angler.