PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Calicos and Yellowtail 7/9/11

Jackpot Jimmy
07-10-2011, 12:49 PM
We headed out of the harbor shortly after 6am with 23 anglers on board. The guys had made 12 to 14 scoops of live squid the night before, so we thought we’d have a decent shot at some exotics that have been around locally. But the water temperature had dropped a few degrees in the bay, so instead we were headed for Catalina!

Most shot the breeze on the way over while some elected to catch up on some sleep. Once there we found a spot with some fair conditions and dropped anchor. Those fishing the stern immediately started to catch some nice calico bass on the live squid. The light leadhead definitely trumped the sliding sinker as the key rig at this spot. After a while we swung just enough where you could reach the kelp from the bow, which prompted me to throw plastic. I threw a 3/8 oz. swimbait head with a rainbow trout-colored Zoom, and it was wide open fishing on that for a while – all on the sink. The key was to sink it out in front of the stringers, and the calicos would voraciously attack the plastic, and if they would miss it, I would twitch the line with my fingers, and they would usually come back and grab it all the way.

The calico bass fishing was as good as it gets. A couple of guys had their limits of calicos within 20 minutes of dropping the anchor. After a couple hours we were still catching fish, but we moved on.

At the next spot I decided to fish a dropper loop as it can be a great spot for sheephead and other bottom grabbers. On my first drop I ended up catching my biggest calico of the day (on a small strip of squid, go figure, but not the first time that’s happened). After unhooking the fish I released it, and it swam away happily. Meanwhile others were catching more bass back in the kelp, and then one angler hooked the right kind. He fought it up the side and it stayed up on the bow, performing its death spiral. Capt. Steven stuck the gaff in it, and up it came, a nice 22 pound, 12 ounce yellowtail for Mark Berridge of Tujunga.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/007-60.jpg

After that excitement the calicos continued to bite, but not as well as in the morning. However there were some bass like this one that came up of nice size.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/008-52.jpg

For the afternoon we tried fishing on the backside at a shot at a seabass or a halibut, but none were caught. But I got a few more calicos on plastic, bringing me to a total of 10 legals for the day for me. The calico fishing was the best I’ve seen in a long time, and I hope it continues the way it is, with a few more exotics mixed in. Great times, great fishing!

I also went on twilight and got a couple nice grumpy sand bass. The twilight fishing is showing some potential, and I’m sure it will pick up once the water warms up a little more in the bay.

JapanRon
07-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Nice !

JapanRon

lifewith714
07-10-2011, 05:07 PM
That looks awesome! WOW

TUNAVIC
07-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Pretty cool!Always nice to see the Calico population survives the Island fishing pressure,thanks for report.

pineapple express
07-10-2011, 10:47 PM
WOW... great detailed post Jimmy !!! Sounds like lots of fun. Mahaloz for sharing ><>

Ifishtoolittle
07-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Very nice work on the groupers!

troutdog
07-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Great report Jimmy, you definitely make FNN a better site....keep up the good work and the write ups.

TD

DockRat
07-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Great looking YT. I read about you guys catching Halibut at the dock too.
DR

Jackpot Jimmy
07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Nice !

JapanRon

Thank you Ron.

That looks awesome! WOW

Thank you. Calico fishing is one of my favorites but especially with the plastic.

Pretty cool!Always nice to see the Calico population survives the Island fishing pressure,thanks for report.

Yes, the calico fishery over there is alive and well. Not so great fishing over there last year so I'm glad to see how well the fishing is at the island.

WOW... great detailed post Jimmy !!! Sounds like lots of fun. Mahaloz for sharing ><>

Thank you! :Big Grin:

Very nice work on the groupers!

Grouper-like...LOL Thanks for reading! :Cool:

Great report Jimmy, you definitely make FNN a better site....keep up the good work and the write ups.

TD

Thank you for the kind words Aaron. Hope to fish with you one of these days. :Cool:

Great looking YT. I read about you guys catching Halibut at the dock too.
DR

That is a nice yellow, also very pale, hasn't been on a spot very long. Same thing happened last year with the halibut, if I was you I'd go throw an LC...:Secret:

Tunaslam
07-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Some good fishing Jimmy congrats on catching a limit of Cali's!

russ88
07-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Very informative. Nice yellow!!!