PDA

View Full Version : how to cure bad sun burn

FLYFISHING MD
07-10-2011, 09:57 AM
whent surf fishing to newport beach, perch fishing was WFO after catching 40plus fish i got one of the wrost sun burns ever'' please help''

Nessie Hunter
07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I feel your pain......

Here are some home remedies, some work... Scroll down to read all of them.
http://tipnut.com/sunburn-relief-home-remedies-over-50-soothing-treatments/

Might even try some toothache gel, it has pain killers in it.....

Best of luck!!!!!! :-(

smokehound
07-10-2011, 05:05 PM
#1 -- Take an aspirin (unless you cant) Aspirin will reduce the swelling, and make it MUCH easier to do your daily rounds.

#2 -- You can purchase cooling gels for sunburns, these are often found in first-aid kits. They feel AWESOME when you're burned, immediate relief.

#3-- Drink a HUGE amount of water.

#4-- Aloe Vera gel. Make sure it does not contain alcohol.

There is no "cure" for a sunburn, other than resting and drinking water.

NickX3
07-10-2011, 05:23 PM
step one for the future - BUY A LONGSLEEVE U.V. PROTECTANT SHIRT, ( similar to this http://www.basspro.com/Columbia-Terminal-Tackle-Shirt-for-Men-Long-Sleeve/product/10226204/-1775247)

i have tattoos on most of my arms and i dont want them to fry and get destroyed/fade when my sunblock wears off (and it ALWAYS does). and you dont get heat stroke, they are light and cool. and 30 bucks is alot cheaper than re-buying a buttload of sunblock and then aloe vera stuff if it happens again... and you have a full time fishing shirt.

Bassnman Mike
07-10-2011, 07:07 PM
In addittion to whats been said, wet yourself down with water then rub on Aveeno Moisturizing Lotion, do it again after your skin has soaked it in and continue to do the same for the next few days, it will help relieve the pain.

WARRIORMIKE
07-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Paul Mitchell,Awapui Mist found at local hair salons. Takes the itchy and some of the burning away. Follow up with some aloa vera and it will help some. Other than that, just time.

Karyn
07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
My kids surf- and now that they are all grown up, they often forget to apply and reapply (Headhunters- found at Katins (HB) is a really good sunscreen that works well in salt water)... but I have them take two or three Tylenol, and have them rub on this stuff I get at CVS near the sunscreen- called "Burn Relief" It's the CVS brand- and it contains aloe vera gel with lidocaine with menthol. The aloe Vera Gel helps the burn, the lidocaine takes the hurt away and the menthol cools it. It's pretty inexpensive. Don't be shy... use the whole bottle. Maybe a shot of whiskey might help too??? I hope you feel better.

Oh! Over at Sams club, they have a fishing shirt- long sleeved and short sleeved- for $20. I think it was 95% SPF... Still have to cover the face and hands.

Karyn
07-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I feel your pain......

Here are some home remedies, some work... Scroll down to read all of them.
http://tipnut.com/sunburn-relief-home-remedies-over-50-soothing-treatments/

Might even try some toothache gel, it has pain killers in it.....

Best of luck!!!!!! :-(

Nessie Hunter- Hey, that's a great website! A ton of good info!

smokehound
07-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Don't worry about sunscreen repelling fish. You being skunked while applying lotion is entirely coincidental.

The last time I hit the harbor, with VanillaGurilla, I was re-applying sunscreen all day long, and right after applying it, I caught that spottie.

FLYFISHING MD
07-11-2011, 05:24 PM
ton of info thanks guys..... Is it just me or when fishing is WFO we don't care about anything ......ready to do it again....CATALINA ON THE FLY NEXT WEEK:Embarrassed:

vanillagurilla
07-11-2011, 05:47 PM
get some aloe vera and put it in the fridge, when i was a kid i got burned so bad on my back (bodyboarding) i actualy got physicly sick and was out of school for a week, cold aloe and put a fan on you after. Ibuprofen is good also but not to much you can do about it lol.

MikesOcean
07-11-2011, 10:25 PM
If you still need relief, I have the BEST CURE!!

APPLY PLAIN YOGURT. ITS A SLAM DUNK!!

I Would put my money on that over anything.

Hope that helps. :)

AngryAgent
07-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Don't worry about sunscreen repelling fish. You being skunked while applying lotion is entirely coincidental.

The last time I hit the harbor, with VanillaGurilla, I was re-applying sunscreen all day long, and right after applying it, I caught that spottie.

I don't know Smoke...You caught a spottie but how many more could you have caught? Call me superstitious but when I use sunscreen I use this other stuff that gets rid of the odor and the grease left on your hands before I touch anything that has to do with fishing.

DockRat
07-12-2011, 05:50 AM
The Best Cure Is Time.
It will feel a whole lot better when the pain goes away.
Wait 2 weeks. Lol
DR

Nessie Hunter
07-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Here is an article that was in the local Rag today.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MED_HEALTHBEAT_SUNBURNS?SITE=CAVIC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Study done on Sun Burn Pain.. They identified the unique Protein that causes the skin pain after a Sun Burn.
Possible medication to follow????
Plus some tips for now....

smokehound
07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't know Smoke...You caught a spottie but how many more could you have caught? Call me superstitious but when I use sunscreen I use this other stuff that gets rid of the odor and the grease left on your hands before I touch anything that has to do with fishing.If I stayed longer, and had more bait than shrimp, I would have caught a few more. I use sunblock all the time, and it honestly doesnt get in my way (other than making my hands slippery)..

Sometimes I think it attracts fish.

Native Gal
07-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Drink lots of cool water the rest of the week, gatorade or other similar sports drinks. Water, water, water.
NEVER lotions or other thick moisturizers. Use Noxzema, apply as a lotion first few days several times a day, then use it to wash with several times a day to moisturize skin and prevent peeling for the next week. You can wash first with a mild soap first if you have oily skin then wash with Noxzema.
Use aloe vera sun relief gels, easy to find in between washings after the first few days.
Ibuprofen once or twice a day and try to stay out of the direct sun for a few weeks to let skin heal. Hoe you feel better soon.

NG