PDA

View Full Version : Cucamonga- Guasti 7/9/11

etucker1959
07-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Just got back from Guasti and here to give a real time report about how the catfish are bitting. The fishing on the dock was very good in the morning, for those of you who have fished it before you know I mean under the dock. Anyone fishing by the snackbar caught 3 or 4 catfish on their favorite catfish bait whatever that may be. I probably take my catfishing a little to serious. By that I mean I go a little overboard in how hard I try. I'm not content to bait and wait in the same spot all day. I move around as much as possible and work the lake with my slip bobber til I find a whole school or the motherload as I like to call it. My fishing partner Bruce is a very good fisherman, he usually out fishes me by a little bit if were fishing right next to each other. But he just doesn't think its life or death if we don't find them like I do. With that being said this is our fish report for Guasti on Saturday July 9, 2011.

We started off fishing on opposite sides of the lake, we had wakie talkies with us so we don't have to scream across the lake to each other. Our first two spots we tried neither one of us had a bite. We both then ended up fishing by the snackbar just on opposite sides of the lake. I liked my spot because their was alot of water to cover and no one was fishing nearby. After covering alot of water I noticed some catfish boiling on some baitfish close to shore. In went the lines right were I saw the catfish boils. I called Bruce on the wakie talkie when I caught my third catfish telling him he needs to get over here pronto. Instead he's fumbling with his stuff for the next 20 minutes. By the time he makes it over to my side of the lake ive already caught 10 catfish. By the time he makes his first cast I now have 12. Just so everybody knows we always practice catch and release on all of our catfish catches. Well to make a long story short the catfish bit for us all afternoon in that same spot. The final total Bruce 28, Eric 38 catfish. All of our catfish were caught were caught on meal worms and a bobber.

Cartman
07-10-2011, 09:51 AM
That is a great report, etucker. I had been thinking of trying Gausti for catfish, I've had such bad luck with the wind at Glen Helen. I'm glad to hear they have cats, and I appreciate your tips on catching them. :Thumbs Up:

evosamurai
07-10-2011, 11:18 AM
last time i was there this guy and his kids were cleaning the cats up one after another, when we left we asked him what he was using and he was just using powerbait, i was like hey whatever works lol

Cartman
07-10-2011, 07:22 PM
last time i was there this guy and his kids were cleaning the cats up one after another, when we left we asked him what he was using and he was just using powerbait, i was like hey whatever works lol

Take a whiff of that powerbait. It stinks.

Git R Done
07-12-2011, 03:08 AM
I thought they didn't allow catch and release @ Guasti?

TheAsianGuy
07-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Looks like the stocked cats are on the prowl. Nice. That little pond is so overcrowded, and not enough food sources available, that all you need is a bit of corn or a Tootsie Roll, and you'll snag them.

vortec_cruiser
07-13-2011, 12:28 AM
I thought they didn't allow catch and release @ Guasti?

You have to use a little common sense. If you're lure fishing for trout in the winter time, they don't seem to mind, as long as your not releasing dead or injured fish. I am strictly a lure fisherman for trout and fish barbless, so I can easily release all my fish - I keep no fish at all. Bait fishing for cats would make that a bit harder, unless you're lip-hooking them.

etucker1959
07-13-2011, 04:45 PM
You have to use a little common sense. If you're lure fishing for trout in the winter time, they don't seem to mind, as long as your not releasing dead or injured fish. I am strictly a lure fisherman for trout and fish barbless, so I can easily release all my fish - I keep no fish at all. Bait fishing for cats would make that a bit harder, unless you're lip-hooking them.

I only fish catfish with a bobber and the percentage of lip hooking is at least 70% or more. When they do swallow it I allways just cut the hook off, I never try to get the hook out of a gut hooked fish. I'm sure some of my catch and release catfish don't make, but if I took a limit home everytime I went fishing, I think I would be killing alot more catfish that way instead of C&R.

STOPBUGGING
07-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Holly Cow thats a lot of cats you guys pulled especially being in that small of lake...are they just dfg stocker cats or does someone else stock them to?

Fish hard

PersonalBest
07-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Great day of Cats, Congratulations.

I have been trying M&Ms (mealworm & marshmallow) off the bottom with no catfish takers. If you do not mind sharing, how did you rig with a bobber? What size hook, leader length, and weights etc. I have never used a bobber but am willing to try with your proven method. Thanks for sharing.

etucker1959
07-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Great day of Cats, Congratulations.

I have been trying M&Ms (mealworm & marshmallow) off the bottom with no catfish takers. If you do not mind sharing, how did you rig with a bobber? What size hook, leader length, and weights etc. I have never used a bobber but am willing to try with your proven method. Thanks for sharing.

It's called a slipbobber rig. It has a small stopper above the bobber that stops the bobber at any depth you want to fish at. After you put the bobber on just make a carolina rig underneath it. The leader lenth is irrelevant the line stopper makes the depth of the rig. As for weights it depends on the size of the bobber. Small bobber 1/4 ounce weight, bigger bobber 1/2 ounce weight. Hook size I use no.8 baitholder hooks. As for bait you can use any bait you like, but I only use mealworms 4or5 at a time. As for depth in these small ponds 4-8 feet and your there. This rig is so good you will be out fishing everyone in no time. Hope this helps. A good tackle store should be able to set you up.

etucker1959
07-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Holly Cow thats a lot of cats you guys pulled especially being in that small of lake...are they just dfg stocker cats or does someone else stock them to?

Fish hard

The DFG in recent years has only stocked catfish in the following months: May, June, November and December. The San Bernardino County Regional park system plants catfish Memorial day thru Labor Day. 750lbs weekly now till Labor day every Thursday. They charge $7 a person plus parking. Guasti is one of the 5 or 6 lakes that are in that system. Anyone who likes to catch catfish from the shore should take advantage of both the DFG planted lakes and the San Bernardino County lakes. If I told you how many catfish I catch a year from these lakes you would call me a damn liar. If I heard the story about myself I would call myself a damn liar, but I can honestly tell you it's all true.

Cartman
07-21-2011, 06:59 PM
It's called a slipbobber rig. It has a small stopper above the bobber that stops the bobber at any depth you want to fish at. After you put the bobber on just make a carolina rig underneath it. The leader lenth is irrelevant the line stopper makes the depth of the rig. As for weights it depends on the size of the bobber. Small bobber 1/4 ounce weight, bigger bobber 1/2 ounce weight. Hook size I use no.8 baitholder hooks. As for bait you can use any bait you like, but I only use mealworms 4or5 at a time. As for depth in these small ponds 4-8 feet and your there. This rig is so good you will be out fishing everyone in no time. Hope this helps. A good tackle store should be able to set you up.

I appreciate the detailed description. Thanks. I have a couple of questions, though. I don't understand using the carolina rig with a slip bobber. I use a carolina rig with an sliding egg sinker and a swivel or carolina keeper to fish off the bottom. What is the advantage of using the carolina rig under the slip bobber instead of split shot?
Also, you suggested fishing 4' - 8' deep. Are you fishing on the bottom or suspending the bait. If you aren't fishing on the bottom, how far off the bottom do you drop the mealworms. I can't wait to go to Gausti to try this out. I have never caught ANYTHING on mealworms.

manuel149
07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
ok so wont the sninker go stright to the bottom? thus bait will be at the bottom also?

TheAsianGuy
07-21-2011, 09:21 PM
ok so wont the sninker go stright to the bottom? thus bait will be at the bottom also?

That's why you have to know your depth. You normally don't use this rig unless you know exact the depth from surface to bottom. There are unique methods of gauging the depths of the water in where you're tossing the line to, but that's another day of lessons all together.

I use a carolina rig with an sliding egg sinker and a swivel or carolina keeper to fish off the bottom. What is the advantage of using the carolina rig under the slip bobber instead of split shot?

Egg sinker is way heavier, keeping the line normally straight down, rather than drifting like the split shot rigs due to wind..even in the lightest wind. I normally use the egg or tear drop sinkers myself, starting out at 1/8oz, and keep on up as the wind increases.

Also, you suggested fishing 4' - 8' deep. Are you fishing on the bottom or suspending the bait. If you aren't fishing on the bottom, how far off the bottom do you drop the mealworms.

Once again, you have to know the true depth of the water from the surface to the bottom. Normally, you want to suspend at most is 12" off the bottom. Variable between 12" to 18" is still good. Hunting for those cats can be pretty tricky in small little ponds using this method. I rather use the slip egg modified Texas style with a bobber attached at the very end for a better effectiveness, since I can accurately gauge how much line I will give the bait to dangle off from. Which ever rig is best for you, use it.

By the way, mealworm has to be loaded with something extra, such as marshmallow with garlic, or a scented item for fish group you're looking for.

want2fishmore
07-21-2011, 10:17 PM
That's why you have to know your depth. You normally don't use this rig unless you know exact the depth from surface to bottom. There are unique methods of gauging the depths of the water in where you're tossing the line to, but that's another day of lessons all together.

Egg sinker is way heavier, keeping the line normally straight down, rather than drifting like the split shot rigs due to wind..even in the lightest wind. I normally use the egg or tear drop sinkers myself, starting out at 1/8oz, and keep on up as the wind increases.

Once again, you have to know the true depth of the water from the surface to the bottom. Normally, you want to suspend at most is 12" off the bottom. Variable between 12" to 18" is still good. Hunting for those cats can be pretty tricky in small little ponds using this method. I rather use the slip egg modified Texas style with a bobber attached at the very end for a better effectiveness, since I can accurately gauge how much line I will give the bait to dangle off from. Which ever rig is best for you, use it.

By the way, mealworm has to be loaded with something extra, such as marshmallow with garlic, or a scented item for fish group you're looking for.

I still don’t get it. Okay, so you cast out your line with the slip bobber and Carolina rig/texas rig without a stopper. Next, it hits the water bottom. You tighten your line a take the slack out of it and look at where the bobber is suspended. If the line is out in the water, how do you mark your line where the bobber is at so you can have a point to work with when adding a stopper? Basically, how do you determine the depth?

Cartman
07-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I still don’t get it. Okay, so you cast out your line with the slip bobber and Carolina rig/texas rig without a stopper. Next, it hits the water bottom. You tighten your line a take the slack out of it and look at where the bobber is suspended. If the line is out in the water, how do you mark your line where the bobber is at so you can have a point to work with when adding a stopper? Basically, how do you determine the depth?

You can guage the depth by attaching a plummet on your hook. A plummet is a weight heavy enough to sink the bobber if the water is deep enough. I made one using a one ounce flat sinker with a slice of cork glued on to stick the hook in. For light float fishing I just use a 1oz split shot. As long as the bobber is taken under by the plummet you are not on the bottom. Keep adjusting the depth until the bobber floats like you want. That will be the bottom. Then you take off the plummet and set the depth to just off the bottom with the bobber stopper.

What I don't understand from etucker is whether the carolina rig is on the bottom or suspended beneath the slip bobber.

want2fishmore
07-22-2011, 11:28 AM
You can guage the depth by attaching a plummet on your hook. A plummet is a weight heavy enough to sink the bobber if the water is deep enough. I made one using a one ounce flat sinker with a slice of cork glued on to stick the hook in. For light float fishing I just use a 1oz split shot. As long as the bobber is taken under by the plummet you are not on the bottom. Keep adjusting the depth until the bobber floats like you want. That will be the bottom. Then you take off the plummet and set the depth to just off the bottom with the bobber stopper.

What I don't understand from etucker is whether the carolina rig is on the bottom or suspended beneath the slip bobber.

Cartman, thanks for the reply. It couldn’t have been any clearer. I am also wondering about what etucker is saying. I’m guessing “suspended”. I think the Carolina rig he uses is his form of just keeping the bait near the bottom. Total guess. Hey, I went to the Pudd on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday 1 8” gill from a pier at the East Shore. Wednesday 1 6” bass deep in Sailboat Cove. First time at Sailboat Cove.

etucker1959
07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
I appreciate the detailed description. Thanks. I have a couple of questions, though. I don't understand using the carolina rig with a slip bobber. I use a carolina rig with an sliding egg sinker and a swivel or carolina keeper to fish off the bottom. What is the advantage of using the carolina rig under the slip bobber instead of split shot?
Also, you suggested fishing 4' - 8' deep. Are you fishing on the bottom or suspending the bait. If you aren't fishing on the bottom, how far off the bottom do you drop the mealworms. I can't wait to go to Gausti to try this out. I have never caught ANYTHING on mealworms.
Cartman, Iv'e been going to Gausti alot in the last two weeks, I got these catfish nailed down in two spots. If you would like a personal demonstration, I could meet you down there anytime and hook you up.

etucker1959
07-22-2011, 04:26 PM

I do disagree that the mealworms has to be loaded with something extra. Iv'e done taste tests on catfish, where I would make a cast with straight mealworms no scent. I'd cast another pole two feet away with scent the results( NO DIFFERENCE). The key to fish with mealworms for catfish and using a bobber is PUT AS MANY MEALWORMS ON YOUR HOOK TIL THEY FALL OFF. That may sound expensive to some, but thats why I buy them by the thousands and get a bulk rate on them. $15 bucks a thousand at Rainbow Bait.

etucker1959
07-22-2011, 04:49 PM
The line stopper above the bobber will stop your rig from hitting the bottom. Most of the time I like to fish right off the bottom. But sometimes the catfish want it laying right on the bottom. Case in point, the catfish at Guasti right now want it on the bottom. Then why use a bobber? I'm answering my own question, because with a bobber it won't just sit there it will keep moving till it finds a catfish.

etucker1959
07-22-2011, 05:06 PM

The carolina rig is suspended beneath the slip bobber. The slip bobber runs up and down your line stopping at the carolina rig.

Cartman
07-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Cartman, thanks for the reply. It couldn’t have been any clearer. I am also wondering about what etucker is saying. I’m guessing “suspended”. I think the Carolina rig he uses is his form of just keeping the bait near the bottom. Total guess. Hey, I went to the Pudd on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday 1 8” gill from a pier at the East Shore. Wednesday 1 6” bass deep in Sailboat Cove. First time at Sailboat Cove.

8" gill from the Pudd? :OMG!: WTG!

want2fishmore
07-23-2011, 10:32 AM
8" gill from the Pudd? :OMG!: WTG!

Thanks. I didn't expect to catch anything in that area considering that area is so shallow. Got it while retrieving the line to cast out in a different area. Only used a split shot and a mealworm. I just threw it back. There were tons of bass fingerlings around there.