PDA

View Full Version : Need advice/ tips fishing L.A Harbor area from private craft

CastMan
07-09-2011, 01:56 PM
My brother in law just bought a boat and wants to start fishing locally. I have a lot of shore and party boat experience but not much from a private craft except for fishing plastics in the harbor at night. So what I'm asking are a few questions such as the following:

1. I know trolling can produce yellows and cudas and such. Any recommendations on lures, troll speed, depth etc... I heard that flourocarbon leaders are good but not sure.

2. I know of places like the Horseshoe and P.V are there any other good spots we could try or maybe some kind of online guide to local areas someone has written?

3. What are some absolute do's and don'ts concerning fishing etiquette out there? I mean I know better than to cross into a sport boats chum line but what else should we look out for?

4. Should fish be brought in whole or can they be filleted at sea. I remember something from quite a while back about leaving the skin on in case DFG checks you.

5. Boating safety. Any tips are very appreciated!

If there's anything else you can think of saying my friends please do. I appreciate all answers and look forward to the responses! :)

lovefofish
07-10-2011, 09:17 PM
buy this, rent this ,or borrow this.

http://www.amazon.com/Mike-Gardners-Fish-Have-Hands/dp/096493311X

go to turners and check out the literature they have.

get a guidenfor a day.

CastMan
07-11-2011, 03:48 AM
Thank you lovefofish! I appreciate it bud! Now I haven't actually spoken to Mike in years and I know he's got a lot of bay fishing knowledge which we used to do a lot of but I'm looking for more knowledge outside the harbors. Will definitely check out Turners though! Hey any excuse to go to the tackle shop is great for me! Thanks again.

CastMan
07-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Another thing is I bought the video back when it was VHS! Yup that long ago!

DockRat
07-11-2011, 06:36 AM
In LA Port make sure you are 100% legal. PFDs, Tags, Flares, Whistle/Horn ect.
50% chance of getting pulled over by Port Police or other agency's.
Always have your anchor ready to drop, not stowed away. It will save your asss when boat is inop and floating towards a jetty. You won't have time to 'phone a friend' Pick up a copy of the ABCs of boating at West Marine or a Marina.

Learn the rules of Port of LA/LB and which areas are off limits to PBers. Example; Fishing the inside of the middle or Federal Breakwall is off limits. The back bay between TI 400 and TI 300 berths. Inner bays in LB Piers F, G, J are illegal to enter. Stay 100 yards from TI Prison, Cruise and Oil Terminals.

Learn basic navigation, red, green directions.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z66/Riverh/BoatonRocks.jpg
DR

CastMan
07-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Damn DockRat that's some great info! Thank you I will do all of the above as you suggested.