PDA

View Full Version : June Loop Report, 7-6 through 7-8

flytyingreloader
07-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Silver Lake--(7-6)--LOTS of marks on the meter, and a load of Alper's went in this afternoon to supplement the stocks on hand. The fish definitely did NOT want to play, though. Trolling, drifting, still work--no love at all in my usual spots along the highway edge 50-100 yards out. A variety of hardware, swimbaits, and natural baits scratched only two desultory bites that didn't stick. Surface temp was 57-58, thermocline about 12-15 feet, and most of the marks were at or just under the 'cline. Runoff from incoming streams is still high-volume, and there is likely a ton of natural chow in the water. I did speak with one angler at camp who mentioned having slayed the fish at the Silver Lake inlet using garlic Power Worms, cut into 1/2 or 1/3 portions on a small single hook. FWIW.

June Lake--(7-7, 7-8)--My first time ever on this lake, and it won't be my last. Again, LOTS of meter marks, concentrated and suspended over deep water along the lake's highway side about 100-200 yards from shore, from the marina to the swim beach. Water surface temps ran 61-64 degrees, thermocline was 20-25 feet down, and fish were all metered at or well below the 'cline. First trolling pass got us zilch (flat-lined), the addition of a planer ahead of the Thomas Bouyant rainbow trout pattern meant instant success, all day for both days. Not WFO, more like slow and steady, but lots of 11"-14" 'bows and a couple browns made the time enjoyable. The cool part was getting my buddy's 11-year old grandson on the fish, which was the real object of the trip. He C&R'ed well over limit numbers on both days. Barbless single hooks on the TBs made release a lot smoother, though you must keep pressure on the fish at all times--rod tip UP, all that kinda thing. The young man elected to keep two larger fish each day for dinner later in the week.

flytyingreloader
07-10-2011, 10:56 AM
This should go in the "Eastern Sierra" subsection--if the mods want to move it to its PROPER place, that would be great.

simijab
07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
What's up with the capital letters did it upset you that much. Anyways I thought it was a good report and congrats on getting the kid on the fish. Don't mind the whining from other people its not the end of the world

simijab
07-11-2011, 09:57 PM
What's up with the capital letters did it upset you that much. Anyways I thought it was a good report and congrats on getting the kid on the fish. Don't mind the whining from other people its not the end of the world

Insert foot in mouth. I didn't realize you posted that comment. My bad

billy b
07-14-2011, 01:27 PM
First of all .. Thanks for the great report ... love to hear about the young uns havin a great day! Did 30 openers on the lake ... love it.

2nd of all ... what's a planer?

Didn't know people were getting browns out of there now ... isn't that a rarety? I know John and Micki introduced Cutts in there a while back ... but browns? ... WOW What'd they hit on?

Best to ya ... and thanks again!

flytyingreloader
07-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I was a little surprised by the brown too, but there it was there.

A "Planer" is a metal device that forces a trolled lure deeper by virtue of its angled bar that pivots its blade downward when pulled behind the boat. When a fish strikes, the blade assumes a straight-line angle with the line to minimize drag while fighting a fish. It accomplishes the same task as lead-core line, and they come in varying sizes.

The Thomas Bouyants ruled the roost, mostly in rainbow trout pattern. Trout can be cannibalistic little slimeballs.

No worries, Simi. Ain't no thang a'tall.

phishin phool
07-15-2011, 08:23 PM
There are browns in all loop lakes, but most people dont fish for them. The best way to get the browns is trolling early or late in the day with leadcore. Use Rapalas, Mira Shads, Thomas Bouyants or needlefish. Ive had luck with flatfish too but that was years ago.
Here is a link for planers-http://www.luhrjensen.com/products/divers--planers

First of all .. Thanks for the great report ... love to hear about the young uns havin a great day! Did 30 openers on the lake ... love it.

2nd of all ... what's a planer?

Didn't know people were getting browns out of there now ... isn't that a rarety? I know John and Micki introduced Cutts in there a while back ... but browns? ... WOW What'd they hit on?

Best to ya ... and thanks again!

phishin phool
07-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the great report, Im heading up next week and staying in June. Gonna hit my fav. Gull, but gonna give June a try too. I've been up there 30+ times and never fished June. I've heard its fishing exceptionally well this year.

flytyingreloader
07-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Isn't it strange how you get into "ruts" fishing particular waters repeatedly, and pass over others?

June Lake seems to really be putting out the fish this year. LOTS of limits at the cleaning station while I was there, and not just stockers.

I ran the lures on a 4'-4-1/2' leader behind the planer. This has worked well at Big Bear, Diamond Valley, Silver, Grant, and now June Lake. All connections are made with black snap-swivels.

teejay
07-16-2011, 01:34 PM
FTR,Very informative report. Thanks.