PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Around Seattle Question

Porkchop5420
07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Hello Guys
I been researching and trying to figure out where to fish at in seattle. I am going to be in seattle in july 15-27th and sept 4th - 20th. My questions is where should I go to fish? Where is the most convenient lake available? What types of fish(s) are available during that time? I am planning on bringing 2 baitcasters ( Curado 300 n 200) n 1 spinning reel for trout.

Thanks !

Natural Lefty
07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Porkchop, I lived in Seattle for a year, a long time ago. I don't know how relevant or useful this info. is, but here it is.

I caught some trout at Green Lake right in the center of town. It has other species too.

The most convenient large lake is Washington Lake. I never really fished there but saw or heard of people having success with Bass, Perch, Trout and Kokanee. Remember, the Puget Sound is nearby too, but I never fished there either.

I caught some Brook Trout at a small lake by a pass up in the mountains, called Lizard Lake which drains into the Green River.

If you go toward Tacoma, I had good luck with Yellow Perch, Rock Bass and Pumpkinseeds in American Lake and Sawyer Lake.

Some people had good luck with some large trout at a lake to the north of Seattle called Roesiger Lake, but I didn't. I did catch some Cutthroats in a creek around there called Woods Creek, I think.

Other places I fished in Washington State were less successful, farther away from Seattle, or I forgot the name.

I hope this helps.

Porkchop5420
07-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Hello Natural Lefty!
Thank you for the information! I been researching and found out that the salmon season starts on the 16th of july. I am considering on hiring a guide.

Thanks again!

Natural Lefty
07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
That's right. I have a good friend on Facebook who lives in Tacoma, and he says the Salmon run around that time. His friends catch them without a guide and they give lots of them away. They must be quite easy to catch if they are trying to run. I guess they are evolving really fast though. (Joke) I am sure they don't run as well as my little Mudskipper (Avatar).

That time of year there should be good fishing for a wide variety of fish around there, actually, and you probably won't need a guide for most of them, maybe even Salmon. I think my friends say the Pink Salmon are pretty easy to catch when they are spawning.

carpanglerdude
07-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Just saw this threat. Green Lake is a fantastic lake for Rock Bass. They are a fairly unusual species to catch on the West Coast, so it's a great opportunity. I used minnow jigs and caught loads of them. Great public access, lots of cover and plenty of parking.

The whole Puget Sound area is crawling with places to fish, both freshwater and saltwater. Have fun! There is smallmouth bass action at the Gasworks Park, from the shore, in downtown/central Seatle as well.

NFCD I
07-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I lived there for 5 years. If you have access to a boat, the Puget Sound is loaded with all types of fish. Cod, Salmon, and Flounder were my targets. My favorite fresh water lake was Bay Lake, just out of Tacoma. It's loaded with big rainbows. If your fishing from shore, there are alot of salmon caught at the "Narrows" in Tacoma. There's a point under the bridge that is very good on an incoming tide. In Seattle check out the area below the locks. I also caught salmon and trout trolling spoons in Lake Washington. It's a very big lake so be careful if the wind comes up.
Good Luck and make sure you have good rain gear.

Porkchop5420
07-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks everyone for all the information. Hopefully I get into some good fishing over this coming week!

Scotto
07-13-2011, 01:00 PM
There's typically a spot for salmon on the Sound this time of the year in front of Alkai Point on West Seattle. I don't think you can reach them from shore, but if you have a boat available, slow trollong with a flasher and a spoon is a good bet. Across and up from there is the Palisades, which is another nice area. If you don't catch any, go to the fish ladder at the Crittendon Locks and see what you missed.

Porkchop5420
07-13-2011, 03:41 PM
I was looking into a guide for the 16th, however the rates are a bit out of my price range as I am a college student. I am looking for shore access locations around the area. For salmon fishing, what types of lures are you guys using to catch them? Spoons such as krocs?

Natural Lefty
07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I didn't catch any Rock Bass at Green Lake but I caught a ton of them at American Lake near Tacoma. I think those are the first Rock Bass I caught. My wife and I have caught a bunch of them including some big ones in northern tier states to the east like Minnesota and New York since then. I think they are an underrated fish, and they do often bite on lures like jigs.

Green Lake is interesting -- so convenient but really good fishing right in the middle of Seattle. I remember going there with like 3 redworms I found in some compost, and catching 3 trout on them, and they were holdovers with pink meat. I heard of good size Catfish being caught there too.

Sounds like some of these other respondents have more experience fishing in the region, though, especially from boats or for Salmon.