PDA

View Full Version : Makin' Bait 07/07/2011

MR. J
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
After reading the fish counts for all the landings the past few days, I decided it was best I didn't go out. I was supposed to hit up a 1/2 day trip because that's all I had time for. Since it's summer and I'm not in summer school I planned on making a trip once a week somewhere.

So at the very last minute, after getting home from work at midnight, I decided to check the counts to see which boat I could possibly hit up but instead decided that I'd hit up Redondo Pier(the big one) instead to make some catfish bait. I arrived at 8:00amand all I can say it was pretty much wide open. I fished both a green mackerel colored Krocodile and sabiki rig tipped with squid to catch a bucketful of Macs in 4 hours of fishing. All the macs were decent size. I personally don't eat Macs so I kept a bag full for bait and gave the rest to my grandma who plans on making Bagoong, a Filipino condiment.

Prior to writing this report, I'm kicking myself for not gambling to go out on the boats. the barracuda were biting again and the sand Bass are finally starting to show. SMH oh well, at least I got me some catfish bait.

troutdog
07-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Nicely done on the bait run MrJ....here kitty kitty!

TD

Ifishtoolittle
07-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Hey you can't complain, at least you caught some Macs. I'm stuck at home and all I have is Legg lake! lol

MR. J
07-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Nicely done on the bait run MrJ....here kitty kitty!

TD

thanks. hopefully by the end of summer, i'll have a freezer full of catfish filets and other things i'll catch in salt.

Hey you can't complain, at least you caught some Macs. I'm stuck at home and all I have is Legg lake! lol

LOL. yeah I guess I can't complain. I'm only 15 minutes away from the ocean.

DockRat
07-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Looks like Shark Bait to me ?
Why fish Catfish when you have Sharks all over the place ?

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

San Onofre State Beach — On July 7, 2011 Scott Herson was surfing at San Onofre State Beach. It was about 6:35 AM and he had been on the water for 30 minutes. The sky was clear with the air temperature estimated at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. The sea conditions were ‘clean with a light offshore breeze and 1 – 3 foot waves at low tide.' The water was 6 – 8 feet deep over a cobble stone rock reef with kelp and sea grass and an estimated water temperature of 69 degrees Fahrenheit. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Herson reported;“I was out with two other guys around at ‘The Point' when an odd looking large, narrow, dark fin was swimming perpendicular to the beach and towards me, about 40 yards out from where I was sitting in the lineup. It disappeared and I shrugged it off figuring I was just imagining things. I remained curious however because in the same area a Pelican was floating in the water and occasionally popping up off the water as if something was below. Five minutes later, 6:40 AM-ish, at about 200 yards out from shore, between ‘The Point' and ‘Old Man's,' an 8 – 10 juvenile Great White breached the water, jumping full into the air. Its white belly, dark blue/grey top and meaty body was obviously that of a shark and other surfers agreed, unmistakable. It resembled a Great White and is consistent with the description of other sightings over the past few years. Funny enough, nobody really cared. I hung around until about 7:10 AM but did not see the shark again.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Zuma Beach — On July 2, 2011 Sam (last name withheld) reported the following; “At 11:30 AM I was at Zuma Beach surfing alone by lifeguard tower #30 about 40 yards from shore. There were surfers spread out to my left and right, but none closer than 20 yards. I think there is also the main Lifeguard Station there too. In fact, the Lifeguard boat was parked directly out from where I was sitting in the water. It was about a 4 foot high tide. I was zoned out, waiting for a wave to come my way when a fin, gray that faded to black towards the tip, surfaced about 15 yards in front of me. I knew right away that this was not a dolphin. I stayed calm, and watched its shadow as it glided past me, slowly heading west up the coast. Once it had passed me a ways, I knelt on my board to check it out. It was about 6' long and gray in color. Its movement as it swam was snakelike. Hard to make out what kind of shark it was because of its distance from me. It swam west and seemed to keep about the same parallel line from shore. I got out about half hour later. I informed a lifeguard as I headed to the showers.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Playa del Rey Beach — On July 1, 2011 Damian Mendez and Ian Skjervem were bodyboarding 35 – 40 yards from shore at “Gillis,” Playa del Rey Beach. The beach is located between Marina del Rey to the North and El Segundo to the South. It was 5:30 PM and they had been on the water for 2 hours. Air and water temperatures were estimated to be 80 and 63 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The sea was 2 – 3 feet and 5 – 6 feet deep with like visibility as the sandy ocean floor was easily seen from the surface. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Mendez reported;“Ian and I had been catching sets about every 15 – 20 minutes. We had caught a wave and were sitting and talking when I noticed a shark's dorsal fin, dark grey 1 – 2 feet high, about 15 feet further out and 10 feet South of our location. I could see the silhouette of the shark, which was 9 – 10 feet in length. After a few moments the fin disappeared.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/NaykedLettuce/shark.jpghttp://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/bsmith48/DSC00297.jpg
DR

Re8elmonk0341
07-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I was out there last weekend and loaded up on some kitty, bug, and crawfish bait. I don't eat them either. I need to get back out there and restock!