PDA

View Full Version : Catch of the day at the Pudd

Cartman
07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
It was a little slow at the Pudd today since I tried to avoid catching the little ones. Still ended up with a pretty good haul. A couple of really nice ones in the mix. Biggest gill I ever caught at the Pudd. I am attaching a photo. The tool in the picture is a fish scaler I bought at a Vietnamese supermarket. Wow, it works great. BTW, Pat, I caught three more nice ones in that same spot. Gotta remember that.

old pudd fisher
07-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey!! Cartman thats a nice catch from the old pudd. Been wanting to get some gills out at my home lake but been so busy with stuff, dang I'am supposed to be retired but can't find the time. Next week looks good....If you don't mind can you PM me with the spot. If so thanks.

Mr Bendo
07-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Lol " time to move" Good work John! Its been real nice talk to you on my lunch breaks. Let me know when you want to do some carping?

want2fishmore
07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Went to the pudd today and yesterday from 7pm - 9pm each day. Fished in the arm south of swim beach. Yesterday was with my daughter. We were both throwing out a plastic worm on dropped shot rigs. She hooked onto 3 fish but they shook loose. One broke free right at shore. She was pissed. I hooked into what appeared to be a 5lber but it came loose about 6ft from shore. HOWEVER, at around 8:30, I hooked into another one. This one felt heavier. Pulled it to shore and was trying to figure out how I'm going to grab this guy while holding onto by pole with 6lb test. A nice guy I met named Alonso lifted him up and gave him to me. No scale and measuring tape. But I'm gonna say 10lbs. MY BIGGEST FISH EVER! Very, very, healthy. My daughter took a pic with my crappy phone. Don't know how to post it. Today, at 8:58pm, just as the park ranger advised to leave, on the last cast, I hook into what appeared to be a 6lber. Brought him in and noticed he pretty much swallowed the plastic. I couldn't get in there and decided to cut the line. Was that the right thing to do? Anyways, my daughter and I have no bass fishing experience. We just threw out the lines, twitched the rods while casting and reeling again and again. I never imagined what an adrenaline rush it is to catch bass. I have newfound respect at the great fight they put up. AMAZING!

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/MCEEZ07SI/?action=view&current=bass2.jpg

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/MCEEZ07SI/?action=view&current=bass1.jpg

mjc89
07-06-2011, 10:12 PM
nice catch. i went there on the 4th and only managed to catch a couple. id see alot of them but when id cast theyd get scared. and even wen id reel it in they would kinda chased my mealworms but they wouldnt hit. i even tried a trout magnet. they would chase it but they just wouldnt take it. idk wut they want. lol

Cartman
07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

want2fishmore
07-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

I attached links to the 2 pics my daughter took. They're pretty bad but I think you can make out the pics. Going to be making my pocket camera a requirement for my fishing endeavors. I will be visiting the pudd quite often from now on since it is a fairly quick and close commute. I'll bump into you one of these days Cartman.

Cartman
07-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I attached links to the 2 pics my daughter took. They're pretty bad but I think you can make out the pics. Going to be making my pocket camera a requirement for my fishing endeavors. I will be visiting the pudd quite often from now on since it is a fairly quick and close commute. I'll bump into you one of these days Cartman.

Hope so.

Wow, those are some whopper fish! :Bug Eyes: I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you got some weird eyes, dude.

Fishnfun
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
It was a little slow at the Pudd today since I tried to avoid catching the little ones. Still ended up with a pretty good haul. A couple of really nice ones in the mix. Biggest gill I ever caught at the Pudd. I am attaching a photo. The tool in the picture is a fish scaler I bought at a Vietnamese supermarket. Wow, it works great. BTW, Pat, I caught three more nice ones in that same spot. Gotta remember that.

Cartman,

Are you killing them again with your home grown maggots? With this heat, should not take too long to get a bunch of them growing.

Cartman
07-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Cartman,

Are you killing them again with your home grown maggots? With this heat, should not take too long to get a bunch of them growing.

Oh yeah, they grow fast, and I've got the process down where there is almost no effort required. Make hay while the sun shines, they say. Once it gets cool the flies go away, and there won't be any more maggots for bait. :Bawling: It's the most effective bait I have ever come across for pan fish, and I've caught four trout on them too. Can't beat that. Tried them for carp with no results, but carp are weird anyway. Next is catfish. :Thumbs Up:

Fishnfun
07-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Oh yeah, they grow fast, and I've got the process down where there is almost no effort required. Make hay while the sun shines, they say. Once it gets cool the flies go away, and there won't be any more maggots for bait. :Bawling: It's the most effective bait I have ever come across for pan fish, and I've caught four trout on them too. Can't beat that. Tried them for carp with no results, but carp are weird anyway. Next is catfish. :Thumbs Up:

Time for a youtube video on your maggots growing process. I saw a few where guys are raising maggots to feed their chickens. Still looks kind of like a messy process. Maybe I can just find some road kill on the way to pudd and gather them from there :LOL:

want2fishmore
07-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Hope so.

Wow, those are some whopper fish! :Bug Eyes: I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you got some weird eyes, dude.

Hehe...what makes you say that?:Smile:

Cartman
07-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Time for a youtube video on your maggots growing process. I saw a few where guys are raising maggots to feed their chickens. Still looks kind of like a messy process. Maybe I can just find some road kill on the way to pudd and gather them from there :LOL:

Dude, you got me thinking. There really isn't much on youtube about growing maggots for fish bait.

Fishnfun
07-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Dude, you got me thinking. There really isn't much on youtube about growing maggots for fish bait.

Cartman,
You need to share the wealth. Youtube is waiting for you. I already got your secrete Casio fishing watch. Now I need some maggots! Speaking of the Casio watch, how accurate is the good fishing times indicator? You ever actually test it out?

Cartman
07-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Cartman,
You need to share the wealth. Youtube is waiting for you. I already got your secrete Casio fishing watch. Now I need some maggots! Speaking of the Casio watch, how accurate is the good fishing times indicator? You ever actually test it out?

I test it out every time I go fishing. It is the same information you can get in an almanac or the newspaper. It is not a guarantee you will catch fish. Honestly, there are so many factors involved in catching fish that I wonder how much of an effect this one factor has. Still, I do believe the full moon and new moon are the best times to fish, especially when the moon is directly overhead or directly beneath us. The waxing moon is also better than the waning moon. Still, if you don't have the right spot, the right bait, and the right presentation, you will have a hard time catching fish under any moon.