PDA

View Full Version : Catfishing from shore June 18th

gavin310
07-06-2011, 10:41 AM
This is a late report. I wasn't even going to post since it wasn't exactly epic, but there's a lack of recent catfishing reports from Irvine on here and they're biting pretty well if you fish for them correctly.

We had a total of 5 people. Donna (NachoFish) came out to fish with us, but couldn't stay for very long. Except for Donna, no one else had their own fishing equipment so I had to bring a ton of sh*t with me. 8 complete catfishing setups, chairs, ez-up.... i love introducing people to fishing, but i'm not going to make a habbit out of it.

I cured some mackerel in Hog Wild the night before (I usually use W-D-3 (http://wd3fishingsystems.com) which is amazing but I was out and couldn't get it in time for this trip). Pontoon and Trolly came by and gave us some of their bait. Fresh caught plain mackerel, and of course that turned out to be the hot bait. Those guys must put crack in their bait or something.

As per usual fishing didn't pick up until the sun started getting lower. My friend Katie actually had most of the luck on this trip. She got the first fish probably about 1.5 hours before sundown. From then on it was slow, but had the occasional bite and hookup. No missed bites. Every bite turned up a fish.

We were fishing in South Fork. Whenever I fish in this area I use a rig with my weight on the bottom and a smaller sized hook (usually a #4 or #6) 1.5 feet up the line. I use about a 4-6" leader on the hook tied to a 3 way swivel. There are lots of weeds out there and getting your bait above the weeds seems to do the trick. I use small pieces of bait. Much smaller than most people use. Usually about 0.5 x 0.5 inches and not very thick. Lots of people don't catch much in that area when I'm there, but I always do. Bait above the weeds. Don't cast out too far. People think for catfish you need bigger hooks and bigger baits. You don't.

Anyway, Katie ended up with 3 cats. I got 1 and my other buddy got 1. Katie is a newer fisherwoman and the reason I said before not to cast out too far is that me and my buddy were casting out far. Granted we both got a fish, but Katie couldn't cast out as far as us and she got the most fish. I'm assuming she got the most fish due to casting distance since we were all casting into the same spot.

Right at the end we were packing up our stuff and Katie got a nice bend in one of her rods. She ended up getting a 3.5-4 pounder. Really nice catfish. Of course Irvine kicks you out right as the bite starts picking up...............

BRING BACK THE 2AM FISHING!!!!!!! :mad:

Here's my buddy holding up our final stringer.

hooks
07-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I think the bigger hook, bigger bait thing comes from the fact that bigger baits do catch bigger fish. I will admit that the biggest kitties (70-80 pounds) that I've hooked into there bit on little pieces of power bait. And bigger bait does equal better scent dispersel(?). So, while you can catch big fish on little bait, you're more likely to get the smaller models on smaller bait because they can't really eat the big stuff.
tight lines...

gavin310
07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I think the bigger hook, bigger bait thing comes from the fact that bigger baits do catch bigger fish. I will admit that the biggest kitties (70-80 pounds) that I've hooked into there bit on little pieces of power bait. And bigger bait does equal better scent dispersel(?). So, while you can catch big fish on little bait, you're more likely to get the smaller models on smaller bait because they can't really eat the big stuff.
tight lines...

that's definitely true, however what i mean by "bigger baits" is just baits larger than the half inch i was talking about. i'm just trying to help people catch the eater sized channel cats rather than going home empty handed. if everybody at Irvine hurled out huge chunks of bait, yeah there would be big fish caught, but most people would go home with the skunk. i'm just saying, using smaller sized baits equal more hookups in general at Irvine, in my experience. Other places like the Colorado River I use bigger baits for channel cats.

Hitts0n
07-06-2011, 08:09 PM
what about that pontoon that spooled u...lol

Thanks for reporting Gavin !!! C0ngrats !!

gavin310
07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
what about that pontoon that spooled u...lol

Thanks for reporting Gavin !!! C0ngrats !!

lol... i wasn't even gonna bring that up... how'd you guys do out there?

Hitts0n
07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
lol... i wasn't even gonna bring that up... how'd you guys do out there?

man the bite was hot,but the fish owned us.only got one,when we should have had limits

AngryAgent
07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Nice session Gavin, you been smoking that wacky stuff though your eyes sure are red

gavin310
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Nice session Gavin, you been smoking that wacky stuff though your eyes sure are red

haha. yeah well that's my buddy so i'm innocent ;) you been up to the sierras lately? i was up at Lake Sabrina and Intake II a couple weeks ago. i'm moving to Thailand on september 1st so i'm trying to get in another trip or two up to the sierras before I leave. i'm gonna miss trout fishing...

AngryAgent
07-07-2011, 09:51 PM
haha. yeah well that's my buddy so i'm innocent ;) you been up to the sierras lately? i was up at Lake Sabrina and Intake II a couple weeks ago. i'm moving to Thailand on september 1st so i'm trying to get in another trip or two up to the sierras before I leave. i'm gonna miss trout fishing...

WOW!! Thailand huh? Why Thailand, going to work on your MMA skills?

Yeah I was up there June 8th through the 13th. Bridgeport and everywhere around that neck of the woods. Nothing huge just a 4lb and a 3.5lber. Fishing hasn't been that miraculous this year up there but I will be going back at least 2 more times. One more trip for you though before you split ehh..? When is that?

gavin310
07-11-2011, 12:09 PM
WOW!! Thailand huh? Why Thailand, going to work on your MMA skills?

Yeah I was up there June 8th through the 13th. Bridgeport and everywhere around that neck of the woods. Nothing huge just a 4lb and a 3.5lber. Fishing hasn't been that miraculous this year up there but I will be going back at least 2 more times. One more trip for you though before you split ehh..? When is that?

Hah no, but I'm thinking of taking some Thai boxing lessons while I'm there. Just looking for some adventure. First destination is Thailand. Not sure how long I'll live there, but at least a year.

Yeah at least one more trip to the Sierras... Not sure on a date yet but I'd like to take a Friday off and leave early AM and come back Sunday evening. Lemme know if you're interested in going...