PDA

View Full Version : Newb to Saltwater

tacklejunkie
08-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Never fished in the ocean before.
Can anyone recommend a good place to go for my first time from shore?
What type of equipment and bait will I need? Doesn't really matter what I'm catching, just want to take the GF out to the beach since she loves it so much, and while I'm there maybe get a line wet :lol:

If I don't hear back, I'll probably end up split shotting nightcralwers off the rocks in malibu :lol:

I don't mind picking up a salt water pole. Let me know what I need! any tips on where to try would be greatly appreciated. I'm a complete newb to saltwater fishing :( Thanks in advance for any replies.

IslandBoi
08-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Depends on what ur fishing for....

Here is what I use

Shimano spinning reel w/6lb. izorline
7'7" abu garcia trout rod

I usxually target perch, corbina, croaker, small stuff :D haven't landed a halibut yet, but I'm trying.....

Setup - carolina rig = 1oz. egg slider w/flourescent bead, swivel w/1'-1' 1/1" flouro leader, w/size 4 or 2 mosquito hook (red in color)

vanillagurilla
08-10-2007, 09:30 PM
gimme a call tacklejunkie... i have a boat load of jigs and such. also some plastics for bass. your bait caster should to fine out there. just dont bring the 11, you know what pole im talkin about... i would set up 1 of your casters for bait, squid is allways a good choice will catch something on squid, and toss lures with your other pole. you can dropshot robos for bass or i have some plastics like i said. lemme know your welcome to them since i used up some of your robos last time. ps i have about 5-6 bags of storm swim baits in all kinds of colors. i can also set you up for a killer hallibut rig!

n1ckxlam
08-11-2007, 12:52 AM
I use the same rig as a trout rig fishing with power eggs, your basic carolina. the hook size should be about that size or smaller since you will be using sand crabs or so for bait.
Island boi suggested mosquito hooks and I second that. Traditional baitholder hooks are too narrow for the bait you will be using. mosquito hooks are wider and will give you stronger hooksets. those eagle claw red mosquito hooks are great but i would use a 6 or 8. that might still be too big though... corbina eat the small sandcrabs too.

keep ur eye on the wash, you will see corbina in ankle-deep water, a reassurance that you wont have to cast too far. croaker are a different story, i usually cast as far as i can when going for croaker, they will eat anything from worms to small swimbaits and hardbaits.

Nick Lam

tacklejunkie
08-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys, I Really appreciate the help! Mosquito hooks rule! I'm a big OWNER fan.
VG: I lost that baitcaster in Perris yesterday while tubing :cry: Talk about a major bummer..

I guess I'll just bring the ol ultralight rod down there and toss out c-rigged sandcrabs and nightcrawlers to see what happens.

Almost forgot, I need to get an ocean fishing stamp on my FW license right? How much does that cost? Can I use two rods in the ocean? (I have a two rod FW stamp)

vanillagurilla
08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
i think its like 6 or 8 dollars for a salt stamp. if your going to fish on the jetty or pier you dont need it.

willis949
08-12-2007, 12:59 PM
You dont need it on the jetty.I didn't know that.

vanillagurilla
08-12-2007, 01:02 PM
any pier or jetty with unrestricted public access conected to the mainland above high tide.

ghetto dad
08-12-2007, 09:19 PM
i think its like 6 or 8 dollars for a salt stamp. if your going to fish on the jetty or pier you dont need it.

wth you talking about vanilla??? there are no salt stamps.......

ghetto dad
08-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys, I Really appreciate the help! Mosquito hooks rule! I'm a big OWNER fan.
VG: I lost that baitcaster in Perris yesterday while tubing :cry: Talk about a major bummer..

I guess I'll just bring the ol ultralight rod down there and toss out c-rigged sandcrabs and nightcrawlers to see what happens.

Almost forgot, I need to get an ocean fishing stamp on my FW license right? How much does that cost? Can I use two rods in the ocean? (I have a two rod FW stamp)

lmfao....there are NOT freshwater licenses anymore...dont worry, common misconception, i see it ALL THE TIME at the landing.....the license you have IS A SALTWATER AND FRESHWATER license......what you probably need is an OCEAN ENHANCEMENT sticker, which is NOT a saltwater stamp....its, i guess best put, a "Southern Cali" stamp....without it, you can fish the ocean ABOVE point arguello.......just not south of it..peace

fish4keep
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
any pier or jetty with unrestricted public access conected to the mainland above high tide.

You dont need it on the jetty.I didn't know that.

1.88. Public Pier. A public pier is a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following
characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the landmass
of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and
has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean
waters.
Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described
above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form
the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters,
promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most
seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

Some jetties does not require a license as other do require a license with a Saltwater Enhancement Stamp.
1. Examples of jetties that you don't need a license are: NPH jetties (the Wedge) , HH jetties (S. of Seal Beach pier), and Alamitos jettyies(72nd jetty). But don't forget that the jetty starts where the shore line is and not where the rocks starts.
2. Examples of jetties that you need to have a license are: the NP jetties (north of NP pier), Santa Ana River jetties, and Topaz jetty (Redondo Beach).

Best thing is to always have a fishing license so you don't have to worry about which pier/jetty is required to have or not to have a license.

tacklejunkie
08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
uh, I'll just go get the saltwater enhancement stamp thing and not worry about all that.

WTF is a jetty? Is that like a rock pile pier?
Thanks for all the info folks.

Oh yeah, what is Uni-Butter? Where do I get it, and will it come in handy for shore fishing? :lol:

ghetto dad
08-13-2007, 08:19 PM
uh, I'll just go get the saltwater enhancement stamp thing and not worry about all that.

Oh yeah, what is Uni-Butter? Where do I get it, and will it come in handy for shore fishing? :lol:

lol.....yeah, just get the stamp....its NOT expensive,....hell, i m trying to think......i think its $4.20......i should know this, but i forgot.....peace

fish4keep
08-13-2007, 08:36 PM

There you go....

Yeah, pretty much. A jetty is a rock structure stretching out to sea.

Uni-butter is a fish attractant made from uni (sea urchin). I've used it and it works pretty good. Mainly use for ocean bass.