PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: To learn how to Flyfish

Karyn
07-05-2011, 11:03 AM
I want to learn how to flyfish after July 15th. I will pay for your knowledge and services. Also, I do not have supplies, so please include that in your price. I would prefer to stay local to SOCAL. Please PM me. Thank you in advance.

tailchaser001
07-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Don't know if your in the area but Bass Pro offers free fly fishing seminars. Here's the link that will give you time and dates.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=94&storeID=52

Swank909
07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
There's a fly shop in the OC that offers fly lessons for a reasonable price (I think it's reasonable lol), 1 on 1 lessons. Hopefully someone can chime in with the name of this place.

smalweld
07-05-2011, 03:36 PM
The shop that swank is thinking of is Bob Marriots. I dont know where you live but look up fly fishing clubs in your area. They are more than willing to not only show you how to cast, but can also teach you how to tie flies, build your own rods.. Its pretty much limitless on what you can learn from a fly fishing club.

Sean

Karyn
07-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Don't know if your in the area but Bass Pro offers free fly fishing seminars. Here's the link that will give you time and dates.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=94&storeID=52

Tailchaser 001- No lie- I was just there today! I didn't even think about asking if they had lessons/seminars. Thanks for the info. I'm going to check into it.

Near North Lake there was this guy flyfishing and he looked like he had a good mojo going and he expressed how relaxing it was. So, I thought, "Why not learn?" Honestly, it looked like fun. : ) Thanks for your great idea.

Karyn
07-05-2011, 05:55 PM
There's a fly shop in the OC that offers fly lessons for a reasonable price (I think it's reasonable lol), 1 on 1 lessons. Hopefully someone can chime in with the name of this place.

Swank 909- I didn't know they had shops only for fly fishing. I know there is a shop in Brea- but they have a little bit of everything... they are not an exclusive fly fishing shop. Thanks for the info. I will have to look it up and google fly fishing shops.

Thanks for your reply and I will check it out. :)

Karyn
07-05-2011, 06:01 PM
The shop that swank is thinking of is Bob Marriots. I dont know where you live but look up fly fishing clubs in your area. They are more than willing to not only show you how to cast, but can also teach you how to tie flies, build your own rods.. Its pretty much limitless on what you can learn from a fly fishing club.

Sean

Sean,
That is an excellent idea! I will call around for different clubs and check the internet. I know the Jeep clubs I belong to are internet based and they/we go out almost every weekend. There is always something going on with them- as I am sure there would be with a fly fishing club. Thanks for your other info too ; ) You were right on! My thought is to learn before I go up North at the end of the month. I want to hit Bridgeport Res. and some other lakes on that trip and do some camping. Nothing like getting back to nature : ) It's all good.

Viejo
07-05-2011, 06:03 PM
As someone said, join a local club to where you live. They all have beginner's and mentor programs. Don't let the cost of getting outfitted scare you. You can do very well with a beginner's package available at all the big box stores and at Marriots. You can also go to Bishop or Kern River fly shops and take an all day float trip that provides all equipment, lunch and lessons (includes catching lots of fish). It's a great way to jump start your knowledge and get to the fish catching part sooner then later. Wait till you decide to start tying your own flies....

Liteweight
07-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Swank 909- I didn't know they had shops only for fly fishing. I know there is a shop in Brea- but they have a little bit of everything... they are not an exclusive fly fishing shop. Thanks for the info. I will have to look it up and google fly fishing shops.

Thanks for your reply and I will check it out. :)

FYI: Marriot's is probably one of the best known Fly Fishing only stores in So. Cal. Been goning there for over 15+ years. Very experienced crew and FFF (Federation of Fly Fishers) certified instructors. I think they even have (or had) female only classes. Otherwise Fly Clubs are also a way to go. Ask @ Marriots about their local clubs (sorry I can't help...the only club I'm familiar with is Sierra Pacific Fly Fishers in the SFV based out of Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys. I can provide address if interested PM me).
Best of luck,
Maybe I'll see you out on the water (everywhere from the Lower Owens to the E/W. Walker Rivers).

LBSea
07-05-2011, 07:27 PM
You may want to check with your Park & Recs Dept. Long Beach Park & Rec offers classes that some of the guys from Marriot's have taught. I know friends who tie their own flies but still do not feel all that comfortable at Marriot's. It is the best place around no doubt but let's just say they do not cater to beginners on a budget. Now I am sure that if you had a grand to drop they would treat you like a king.

Others may differ but this is my experience.

Oban
07-05-2011, 10:11 PM
It can be very relaxing. Everything surrounding fly fishing can be an art. I love tying and creating flies. Casting is an art form too.

I originally learned as a boy scout 10-15 years ago at a local fly fishing club meeting where they held free seminars at Peck Road park. I still have my original $30 dollar setup and use it.

If you Youtube fly fishing lessons, they have a lot of videos ranging in pretty much every technique. I relearned and learned brand new techniques by Youtube.

Karyn
07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
FYI: Marriot's is probably one of the best known Fly Fishing only stores in So. Cal. Been goning there for over 15+ years. Very experienced crew and FFF (Federation of Fly Fishers) certified instructors. I think they even have (or had) female only classes. Otherwise Fly Clubs are also a way to go. Ask @ Marriots about their local clubs (sorry I can't help...the only club I'm familiar with is Sierra Pacific Fly Fishers in the SFV based out of Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys. I can provide address if interested PM me).
Best of luck,
Maybe I'll see you out on the water (everywhere from the Lower Owens to the E/W. Walker Rivers).

I never thought some of these business had all female classes. That's cool too. Thanks for the info. I have a book I write these things down in, and I will definitely add your info in it. :) I just got back from fishing the East sierra's last weekend, and hopefully I will see you out there- Look for the girl with the big smile- catching fish :)

LB Sea- I didn't know they offed classes at the Parks and Rec's dept on Fly Fishing. I'm a big fan of taking classes through the Cities- I've taken many over the years. In fact, I've taught a few. So, that is right up my alley. Also, Thanks for the other advice. I appreciate it. No, I am not rich; in truth, I am a teacher and am on a budget. Also, I have a JK that I want to start building up (4" lift, 33's wheels, shocks- and a winch etc.). I have my want list going... and going... and going...

Thanks for your info. I will check out the local cities for classes. I live near Brea- and they usually have quite a few going on.
; )

Karyn
07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
It can be very relaxing. Everything surrounding fly fishing can be an art. I love tying and creating flies. Casting is an art form too.

I originally learned as a boy scout 10-15 years ago at a local fly fishing club meeting where they held free seminars at Peck Road park. I still have my original $30 dollar setup and use it.

If you Youtube fly fishing lessons, they have a lot of videos ranging in pretty much every technique. I relearned and learned brand new techniques by Youtube.

It looks SOOO relaxing. I was having fun watching this guy who was in a float tube at Intake II. He looked like he was having a blast! When he came in, I asked him how was it. I will never forget his response- He stated it was better than taking drugs. Well, I have never taken drugs- nor, have I tubed; hence, in short I can not compare it to each other. He just looked well, not to be silly- but he looked relaxed and happy. He caught fish, but more importantly, he looked refreshed and like he was very peaceful. I need that! Youtube, here I come@! Ready or not! Thanks for the help. :)

AngryAgent
07-06-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm just learning myself (to flyfish). We are also heading up to Bridgeport 3 more times this year. Can't wait. Post some pics of you flyfishing when you go!

LBSea
07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Here is a web site for the LongBeach Casting Club. They have a pratice pond off of 7th street in Long Beach next to Blair Field. The class calendar is not current so try emailing or calling someone if interested.

http://www.longbeachcastingclub.org/classes

Good Luck.

Karyn
07-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm just learning myself (to flyfish). We are also heading up to Bridgeport 3 more times this year. Can't wait. Post some pics of you flyfishing when you go!

When are you going? Maybe I will see you on a river or near a lake throwing :) I plan on going up the end of July to August and sometime in October. After that, it's Glamis time... (off roading).

Karyn
07-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Here is a web site for the LongBeach Casting Club. They have a pratice pond off of 7th street in Long Beach next to Blair Field. The class calendar is not current so try emailing or calling someone if interested.

Good Luck.

Thanks a million. I appreciate the info. I did not know there were so many opportunities! This is great! : )

City Dad
07-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Bob Marriots is to fly fishers as Amsterdam is to stoners! My wallet cringes when I walk through the door.

I think you'll find fly fishing to be the most rewarding time you've ever spent untangling, re-tying and cursing. It's a sport you can never truly master - but you don't have to be very good at it to have a blast.

But honestly, the best moment (at least for me) is when the trout are taking only a certain fly... and I've accidentally brought a dozen of 'em. Makes me look smart to the other guys/gals and gives me such a wonderful delusion of adequacy! I live for that.

fishtales
07-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Good Luck.

Hi Karyn,

LBSea has a good point. I've taken fly fishing classes from The Long Beach Casting Club. They are excellent and very low cost, how about free with the small exception of buying their book for the class about $10. You can also join as a member, lots of outings to go to with experienced fly fishers that will show you the ropes. You can go on Sundays and practice at their casting pond. Where are you located?

FT

AngryAgent
07-07-2011, 12:28 AM
When are you going? Maybe I will see you on a river or near a lake throwing :) I plan on going up the end of July to August and sometime in October. After that, it's Glamis time... (off roading).

Right after Labor day. Gotta get a fix:Envious:

socal114
07-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Bob Marriots is to fly fishers as Amsterdam is to stoners! My wallet cringes when I walk through the door.

I think you'll find fly fishing to be the most rewarding time you've ever spent untangling, re-tying and cursing. It's a sport you can never truly master - but you don't have to be very good at it to have a blast.

But honestly, the best moment (at least for me) is when the trout are taking only a certain fly... and I've accidentally brought a dozen of 'em. Makes me look smart to the other guys/gals and gives me such a wonderful delusion of adequacy! I live for that.

Well stated...:Envious:

sashimi
07-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Long Beach casting club has folks there teaching on tues eves. they also have free classes.

Henning
07-08-2011, 08:10 PM
+1 on the Longbeach Casting club. I go to the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club and Oakland Casting Club up in the Bay Area and they're fantastic resources for learning how to cast from world class casters. I've heard equally good things about the Long Beach casters. Good place to learn how to cast and meet up with people to fish with.

Be careful, Flyfishing is the crack of fishing sports...highly addictive and you can easily spend your life savings on toys if you're not careful:LOL:

jayfish0084
07-09-2011, 11:18 PM
long beach flyfishing club. I learned to flycast and fish with them when i was 11. Alot of great guys and I think it was free too. Its at recreation park off 7th street in Long Beach by the golf course

tacklejunkie
07-10-2011, 07:31 AM
I fly fish the local mountains and can teach basics.
Let me know.
I know more Socal spots than people think exist so they drive to the Sierras.

Poxy Boggards
07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Since your in the Brea Area, I know that they offer some free fly fishing clases at Laguna Lake in Fullerton. They are city based clases that I believe are offered free of charge. Laguna Lake is a great local place to practice your fly casting and fishing while they are stocking trout in the Winter.