PDA

View Full Version : Farmin with Khanh on the 4th of July

fishinone
07-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Khanh and I were first in line on the 4th. We planned to get there early to get ahead of the expected crowds. I don't know why but the crowds didn't show. Suits me!:LOL:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4th%20of%20July%202011%20with%20Khanh/IMG00686-20110704-0442.jpg
Here's a view of the Town of Castaic and lower lake from the head of the line.

We met TroutOnly in line. He was stoked from his Lake San Antonio trips. I got a few more trolling tips from the Master.

In line I was telling Khanh that I thought there would be boils because of the heat for a few days. I already had my KPN Topwater tied on and was planning on working the boils.

I launched the boat, parked the truck and was walking back down to the ramp when I noticed the boils out by the 5 mph buoys. Yes! "They were scattered but they were there.

We worked the boils before we headed out. I had one follower, a small striper swirled on my KPN Topwater plug 4 times on one cast but wouldn't commit. I was working a 4" plug through 1 1/4" shad. I yelled there he is, there he is, Khanh saw it following. The boils won't be predictable too soon but topwater is my favorite kind of fishing.

We checked out a secluded spot that produced a couple fish for me recently but didn't meter what we were looking for, then headed down to a summer feeding hole and set anchor.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4th%20of%20July%202011%20with%20Khanh/IMG00688-20110704-1202.jpg
Khanh was first up and second up. I think this is the second one.

I picked one up then we had a double.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4th%20of%20July%202011%20with%20Khanh/IMG00687-20110704-1006.jpg
This is our first double of the day!

We had good action all morning, it wasn't wide open but it was steady.

Khanh picked up a fish that made a quick sweep around my lines. One of my lines pulled down then went slack. At first we thought it was a hit but then decided it was tangled in Khanh's line. I was watching it follow right along with the fish he had on but when we netted Khanh's fish it took off up the lake. I'm calling that our second double. The fish must have been following the other one around with my bait in it's mouth. My line was tangled in 2 other poles but we got it undone and landed it.

Khanh was like a machine. He got 9 fish from 11 good hits. For my part I had more good hits than Khanh but only got 5 to the net. I would be telling you about limits if I had a conversion rate like Khanh's. At one point I missed 5 fish straight.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4th%20of%20July%202011%20with%20Khanh/IMG00689-20110704-1335.jpg
Here's the catch as we headed home.

Thanks for the Schoolin Khanh. I always enjoy fishing with you.

SDDave
07-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey Ron, Nice report, deck ful of stripers theres no better site, Good to see Khanh on water, Fish were boiling first thing in the morning, good news it's only a matter of time now, I'm going up for the last part of the day tonight and do some recon, shad nets all patched up from last years work, ended up with 3 nets and i'm trying to sell one in the classys if you know anyone...
So the crowds never showed on the 4th, that good, I fished Pyramid on the weekend and it was a zoo, took the 4th off. See you on the water soon... Dave

fish-o-haulic
07-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Good slay. The striper are getting active. Or should i say are active.

Hooked Up
07-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Nice haul! Even a farmer can still catch fish! LOL Thanks for the report! :)

koifish
07-05-2011, 11:30 AM
nice slays guys.

fishinone
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Hey Ron, Nice report, deck ful of stripers theres no better site, Good to see Khanh on water, Fish were boiling first thing in the morning, good news it's only a matter of time now, I'm going up for the last part of the day tonight and do some recon, shad nets all patched up from last years work, ended up with 3 nets and i'm trying to sell one in the classys if you know anyone...
So the crowds never showed on the 4th, that good, I fished Pyramid on the weekend and it was a zoo, took the 4th off. See you on the water soon... Dave

I might see you out there today. I'm going up after work.

Good slay. The striper are getting active. Or should i say are active.

Yes, they're active. I haven't seen it wide open but I'm not having to much trouble getting them.

Nice haul! Even a farmer can still catch fish! LOL Thanks for the report! :)

Thank you,

You'll have to come up and give it a shot so we can see if a farmer can catch fish.:Razz:

It's true though! I prefer to think of it as planting! :LOL:

nice slays guys.

Hi koifish,

Where is your report? I heard you got some.

cutbait
07-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Good work boys..

Hitts0n
07-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Ohhh I cant wait til thursday and saturday night for Mr Stripey !!
Beautiful job out there fella's !! KPN is doing his good deed to the lake !! LMAO !!
Thanks for reporting !!!! Keep um coming !!

fishinone
07-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Good work boys..

Thank you cutbait. We could have used your help out there. We were having to choose between fishing and cutting bait.:Big Grin:

Ohhh I cant wait til thursday and saturday night for Mr Stripey !!
Beautiful job out there fella's !! KPN is doing his good deed to the lake !! LMAO !!
Thanks for reporting !!!! Keep um coming !!

The night fishing should be good this time.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/4th%20of%20July%202011%20with%20Khanh/IMG_0208.jpg
Here's the striper slayer with a couple victims.

Liteweight
07-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Decisions, decisions. I have some options this weekend, but I'm awfully tempted to join Hitts on Sat. night @ the Dam. We'll see though, it's hard to pass up a surface bite with Mr. Stripee expecially on the fly.
LW

fishinone
07-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Decisions, decisions. I have some options this weekend, but I'm awfully tempted to join Hitts on Sat. night @ the Dam. We'll see though, it's hard to pass up a surface bite with Mr. Stripee expecially on the fly.
LW

Yea decisions. I'm having to choose between WSB at Catalina and night fishing at Castaic. You guys have a good time at Castaic. :LOL:

It really depends on the weather.

I wouldn't count on the boils, the weather has changed.

Streamers would have been the ticket in those boils on Monday morning. I was wishing that I had mine.

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Nice job guys....great that the crowds didn't show...

saweet..

congrats to U and Khanh on the solid day : )

Way ta go : )

keeel them !

Gary

TroutOnly
07-06-2011, 08:07 PM
NICE SEEING YOU BOYS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

hamneggs
07-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Ron / Khahn,

It was nice seeing you guys on the water. I really appreciated you guys warming up that hot spot for us! Ron, I'm sure you'll need to get more KPNs once it starts boiling... you're hook up ratio will be off the roof.

Khahn,

Sounds like you had the hot stick for the day. I'm guessing you're loving those NRX rods too! Don't slay all those stripeys.... save the fatties for me!!!

fishinone
07-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Nice job guys....great that the crowds didn't show...

saweet..

congrats to U and Khanh on the solid day : )

Way ta go : )

keeel them !

Gary

Thanks Gary,

Where are your reports this year? You must be catching fish!

NICE SEEING YOU BOYS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for the San Antonio Steaks Bob, I had some last night, they were delicious.

Ron / Khahn,

It was nice seeing you guys on the water. I really appreciated you guys warming up that hot spot for us! Ron, I'm sure you'll need to get more KPNs once it starts boiling... you're hook up ratio will be off the roof.

Khahn,

Sounds like you had the hot stick for the day. I'm guessing you're loving those NRX rods too! Don't slay all those stripeys.... save the fatties for me!!!

Hi Jason,

It's nice to meet you on the water again.

It's funny about that hook up ratio, but I was even farming the ones that I hooked. I had 3 fish bite right through my 4lb Seagaur Red Label leader this week. Do you know anyone who wants it? I bought some P-line flouro today. Khanh warned me about that leader but I've been using 20lb Red Label for trolling rigs and it works great.

I can't wait for the real boils. They're too much fun. I caught 6 fish in 20 minutes, standing in one spot on a point, one day after work last year! :Big Grin:

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks Gary,

Where are your reports this year? You must be catching fish!

:

If anyone knows me…..I’m always catching fish in all sorts of avenues..

I don’t think that will ever change….if it swims I will hunt it down : )

Duct
Saltwater harbor/bays
Open water lincod slays
Something else is a brewin in the open water….gonna chase some big game down sooner than later..
Even hit the lagoon for some LMB recently

Always fishing somewhere…

Just not posting everything as some of the internet mayhem months ago has me a bit jaded…not worth the hassle to me sometimes due to internet trolls…

I’ve got fish to catch…internet hate is such a big waste of time it’s not even funny..

One thing you can count on…is more fish shall fall….maybe tonight ! : )

Congrats again on the catches !

Gary