PDA

View Full Version : Any mackerel recipes out there?

MasterFisherYY
07-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Would some one be helpful enough to provide me with a tasty mackerel recipe. Thanks.

soulsurfer
07-04-2011, 10:27 PM
clean and butterfly the fish, salt to taste, a little chili powder if you like, let it soaks in refrigerator for an hr., heat your oven and place a cast iron skillet inside oven and let the skillet heats up to cooking temp., lightly oil the skillet and place fish skin side up....cook to desire doneness.

rich in omega3 and healthy to eat even under the new guideline for fish consumption.

hooks
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Would some one be helpful enough to provide me with a tasty mackerel recipe. Thanks.

Okay, I'll bite : )
Why would you want to eat a mackeral to begin with? Kinda like eating a carp, garbage. I mean, maybe, if this was REALLY a 3rd world country or there was nothing left to eat besides rats, YUCKKKK!

BassProfessor
07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
1. Bring a quart of water to a roiling boil;

2. Reduce heat to simmer and add 1 pound of mackeral fillets/boneless chunks;

3. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add fresh basil, tarragon, thyme and a handfull of decorative rocks from your backyard, Home Depot, Lowe's etc.;

4. Continue to simmer for approximately 4-5 minutes;

5. Drain so that only rocks and Mackeral remain;

6. Toss out Mackeral;

7. Eat rocks.

evosamurai
07-06-2011, 08:39 PM
lol bassprofessor that was funny as hell

GETBIT!
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Sahshimi=0

old pudd fisher
07-06-2011, 08:45 PM

3. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add fresh basil, tarragon, thyme and a handfull of decorative rocks from your backyard, Home Depot, Lowe's etc.;

5. Drain so that only rocks and Mackeral remain;

6. Toss out Mackeral;

7. Eat rocks.

Thats a good one! I just take them home and freeze them, they make good catfish bait.

smokehound
07-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Do not pan fry mackerel!

bowler
07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Make sure you bleed the fish once you catch it. Then the fish will taste better.

Cut the head off and take out the guts. But the fish in a pot with water and bring to boil. Cook till the fish falls off the bone. Then you pick the fish once it cools down. Put the fish in a bowl. Add the following to the bowl:

2 slices bread, crust removed
1 tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. OLD BAY SEASONING
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
this is for ever 1lb of fish.

mix together and shape into cakes. Fry or broil until golden brown.

smokehound
07-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Make sure you bleed the fish once you catch it. Then the fish will taste better.

Cut the head off and take out the guts. But the fish in a pot with water and bring to boil. Cook till the fish falls off the bone. Then you pick the fish once it cools down. Put the fish in a bowl. Add the following to the bowl:

2 slices bread, crust removed
1 tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. OLD BAY SEASONING
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
this is for ever 1lb of fish.

mix together and shape into cakes. Fry or broil until golden brown.This is the only safe way to panfry mackerel. because it's already cooked, the oils are mostly gone.

atleasticaughtabuzz
07-09-2011, 05:16 PM

3. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add fresh basil, tarragon, thyme and a handfull of decorative rocks from your backyard, home depot, lowe's etc.;

5. Drain so that only rocks and mackeral remain;

6. Toss out mackeral;

7. Eat rocks.

rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4g63power
07-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Mackerels are very tasty! Fast moving fish, such as mackerel, spanish mackerel and others, from cold water fast current water are very good eatings. However, ones from our southern california, warm water, are not so great as table fare. Go to asian markets and buy mackerels from there if you really want to eat them. There's pre salted frozen packaged ones that are pretty good. Mackerels the most misunderstood fish around here. Many believe they are all junks and just baits. Well..I think trout taste like crap..they are just striper bait to me. =)

evosamurai
07-20-2011, 08:29 PM
eagle talon 4g63 16v turbo awd dohc ftw

Marley
07-20-2011, 08:35 PM
This is the only safe way to panfry mackerel. because it's already cooked, the oils are mostly gone.

Why is pan-frying mackerel unsafe?

TheAsianGuy
07-27-2011, 10:12 PM
[Asian style FRIED fish sauce mackerels]
- Prep and wash the fishes cleanly. Make sure the heads, tails and guts are completely removed. Let the wet fish completely drip-dry (just until all the water droplet stop dripping).
- Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to a large pot. Make sure the surface is even coated by swirling it around. Place the fishes flat at the bottom of the pan. The second row (not recommended) lay in a pyramid style (one fish stacked at the top in between the two fishes below).
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to pour over the fish bodies above.
- Add chopped garlic, as much as you like, by scattering it above the fishes.
- Add as much ground chilies (not paste but chunky Rooster Brand chunky chilies) as your tongue and butt can handle. Standard rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon for every 3 fishes.
- Scatter about 1 tablespoon of brown, or white cane sugar over the fishes.
- Add 4 tablespoons of fish sauce per 3 fishes.
- Fill filtered water up just 1mm over the highest body of fishes stacked in the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil. Turn it down to low, and let the water shimmer for the next hour or two, until the water evaporate, allowing the mackerels to soak up all the nice juice, making the bones readily to be completely eaten.

* Make sure the bottom layer of fishes don't get stick to the pot, by making sure the water always there. If the water is nearly dry before at least one hour is up, add just enough water to the side of the pot, not touching the fishes during the pour. Max hours of cooking at low fire is 2.5 hours.

[Asian style FRIED fish sauce mackerels]
- Prep and wash the fishes cleanly. Make sure the heads, tails and guts are completely removed. Let the wet fish completely drip-dry (just until all the water droplet stop dripping).
- Heat up a nice frying pan to the point where a water droplet will evaporate within 4 seconds. Bring the fire back down low.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1 cup of vegetable oil for every 3-fishes. Make sure the surface is even coated by swirling it around. Place the fishes flat at the bottom of the frying pan. The second row (not advised).
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to pour over the fish bodies above.
- Add chopped garlic, as much as you like, by scattering it above the fishes.
- Bring the fire back to a medium. Fry both side of the fishes until the body is nice and golden.
- Add as much ground chilies (not paste but chunky Rooster Brand chunky chilies) as your tongue and butt can handle. Standard rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon for every 3 fishes.
- Scatter about 1 tablespoon of brown, or white cane sugar over the fishes.
- Add 4 tablespoons of fish sauce per 3 fishes, and scatter it over the fishes.
- Turn the fire back down low. Cover the lid to make sure the sauce get infused into the fishes.

* Make sure check the bottom of fishes don't get stick to the pan, by constantly checking on the fishes after the lid is close. Just lift the lid up slightly to check the condition of the fishes every 3 to 5 minutes. Don't let the fishes get burnt.

Serve with hot rice (brown or white), and ultra thin sliced cabbage. I will guarantee you that you won't gag like a raw piece of mack, but your poop won't smell the same

TheAsianGuy
07-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Why is pan-frying mackerel unsafe?

Pan frying with non-stick is the most dangerous type of frying. Any of those non-stick flakes off and stick to your fishes will simply promote greater chance of carcinogenic development in your liver, stomach, and kidneys. Use the all aluminum, but have to add a bit more oil to prevent sticking.

fishwhoreman
07-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Some people buy in to what they hear and dont even try. And if they did try, maybe theyre just not great cooks! They also get brain washed once they hear the words trash fish. Ive had them grilled, deepfried, and even made in ceviche. Taste good to me. Not the best tasting fish but more healthy than the bigger older fish that have built in years of toxins in their bodies. Eat it more often and maybe you one be one of those old ladies poppin fish oil pills.

Crawler
08-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I had always heard this was the best way to cook Mak.

1) nail fish whole to ceder plank
2) smoke for 1-3 hours
3) lightly salt
4) discard Mak
5) eat ceder plank

olfishergal
08-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I personally cut into bite size chunks, insert hook and drop into a catfish mouth......pull in the catfish, take out the hook and
throw the mac away, then clean and eat the fried catfish, yumm yumm
OFG

jayman
08-02-2011, 04:35 PM
if you have a smoker, smoke it. best way for me. Its an oil fish, so meat doesn't dry out.

TheAsianGuy
08-03-2011, 07:59 AM
I had always heard this was the best way to cook Mak.

1) nail fish whole to ceder plank
2) smoke for 1-3 hours
3) lightly salt
4) discard Mak
5) eat ceder plank

:ROFL: That reminds me of what my mother said about catfishes when she first learned how to cook traditional Asian meals with them. Rather than a cedar plank, she joked around about the wok instead. After I learned how to cook fresh catfishes from the local anglers, she changed her mind, and cooked the correct ways. She would expect me to bring home fresh cats rather than the store bought freezer burnt version.