PDA

View Full Version : where should we go?

alveraz
07-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi guys, So my kids and I just started fishing together. We're all geared up and spent the last couple days at Kenneth Hahn Lake. Not a bite! No one there for the last couple days has caught anything. We're from Westwood, near UCLA. What other lakes within a 10-20 mile radius or so should we try out? We're up for any type of freshwater fishing as long as it's not too far. We want to keep our drive under 45 minutes if possible.

Thanks for your help, we're unfamiliar with inner city LA Lakes.

Thanks! :)

alveraz
07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
also looking for lakes my kids and i can hit in the evening that are not closed at night. thanks again for your help!

TheAsianGuy
07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Since you are in the L.A. area, might as well head up along the 5 Freeway towards and Lake Castiac, Lake Piru, or the Bouquet Reservoir. Haven't been up there in ages. Wouldn't want to eat any small water bodies (parks with lakes) around the L.A. areas. If you are not familiar with the pollutions from the streets' run-offs, my recommendation is not to even consider fishing in those lakes. But, there are always brave souls that love to challenge death.

fish-o-haulic
07-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Not to be offensive but have you tried looking it up yourself on google maps, and google earth. Those are quick easy ways to find out about fishable bodies of water in your area. Thats what i did because im gonna be in palm desert this weekend and am looking for some places to throw a line in the water.

TheAsianGuy
07-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Not to be offensive but have you tried looking it up yourself on google maps, and google earth. Those are quick easy ways to find out about fishable bodies of water in your area. Thats what i did because im gonna be in palm desert this weekend and am looking for some places to throw a line in the water.

Nah, he has a good mindset when it asked for clues for good fishing. I hate getting skunked when fishing with my kids (so so so many times of disappointment). It's good for him to ask first and fish (no punt intended) for some good clues.

Alveraz. Good clues for you is to go to any lake, and spend a good solid day there..starting very very very early in the morning. As early as the authority can allow to get in. Bring an arsenal of baits with you, which means, three types of worms (big red wigglies, nightcrawlers, and mealworms), maybe toss in 25 to 50 crickets, and if you have crank baits for different fishes, grab them all. As many have indicated before me, different fishes will strike on different things, on different colors, at different time, from different water bodies. So much variable, so, you just have to bring everything with you, and become a pack mule. Good luck. I know how it feels to fish with your kid. I have three, and they are all eager to fish.

alveraz
07-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the help TAG, I'm all over your tips. :)

Yeah, done the Google thing. I know "where" all the lakes are, just not sure which ones I should be fishing, so here I am. After that dry Kenneth Hahn trip I wanted to get some ideas of other city lakes.

I think I'll just drive the extra distance and hit Castaic.

Thanks again!

reservoir dog
07-05-2011, 10:31 PM
You can fish Castaic after hours on the lower lagoon. Other city parks you can fish is Hansen Dam and Lake Balboa. Both lakes are free. If you really wanna do some urban fishing there's always Echo Park and the infamous LA river.

HBAR
07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
balboa free but DON'T EAT ANYTHING FROM THERE! hansen dam much safer to eat and accourding to some beware of gun fire (not true, as many times as I, snakeplissken, and a few others have been there, I personally have never heard gun shots, although rodney king was beat up a few hundred yards from there), lifeguards at hansen dam don't open gates till almost 8am sometimes.
Any questions about the cement pond hit me or snakeplissken up.

City Dad
07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
I've been taking the kids to Balboa in Van Nuys for years. Did a little research on the water before hand. Yes, it is reclaimed. No, it's not worse than your average section of LA County beaches... but I still wouldn't eat anything from there.

We catch mainly tilapia and carp, though there are other exotic aquarium escapees in there that make things interesting. Small bits of nightcrawler are our hands-down favorite. park is free and open 'till sundown.

fishing seems best around the outlet at the south east corner and in the "waterfall" bay at the north east corner.

Google Anthony C. Beilenson Park, Van Nuys.