PDA

View Full Version : Hermosa Pier 7/2 & 7/3

toejamb
07-04-2011, 10:04 AM
The wife took mercy on me and let me out of the house both Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday I set up close to the surf line in search of halibut, but got skunked. I had a nice hit, but it didn't stick and that was the only action of note for me. A friend of mine - one of the regulars - was getting all kinds of action on mussels. In the time he was there, he had a legal calico, a bunch of buttermouth perch and sub-legal cabezon which he released.

Sunday, I finally got my halibut. I set up toward the end of the pier this time. The sardines were running, so things were looking up. I pinned a few on to my rigs and played the waiting game. I didn't have to wait long. A nice 24 incher was my reward - my first legal fish in about a year and a half. As the day wore on I got a couple more hits, but nothing stuck. I packed in 'round 4 and headed home.

The halibut was kept; will end up as four or five very mine meals. Last night was fish tacos, with sashimi and ceviche as appetizers.

I gotta say, the halibut have been quite scarce the last couple of years. Between 2004 and 2006 I actually lost count of the number of legal fish that I caught - and I ended up releasing a bunch of those.

Sorry, no pics. I haven't brought my camera along in recent outings, because I wasn't really catching anything of note. I suppose it's better to have your camera and not need it than need it and not have it.

Happy 4th to everyone.

jerr-dog
07-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Cool man. A halibut off the pier Awesome! I was just there last night but not to fish was riding my bike & decided to go check out the action. Only saw Mackerel being caught. Glad to hear some peeps surf fishing in the south bay. Thanks for the report.

DockRat
07-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Good job on the pier halibut.
DR

murrieta angler
07-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Good job waiting it out.
Your catch might have had more to do with the grunion run this past weekend.
Robert
<><

toejamb
07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Good job waiting it out.
Your catch might have had more to do with the grunion run this past weekend.
Robert
<><

Grunion or no, I'll still take it :) Thanks for the kind words, all.

n1ckxlam
07-07-2011, 02:18 PM
sweet, great job gettin it up!

n1ckxlam
07-07-2011, 02:19 PM
thatswhatshesaid...

but seriously, thanks for the report