PDA

View Full Version : bishop backcountry weather question

sktruth
07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Going backpacking out of north lake last weekend in July. Were headed up to piute pass. Any ideas with all the snowfall this year, how the trail may be, or ice on lakes for fishing? All responses are appreciated.

Karyn
07-04-2011, 07:01 PM
We just got back today. It was absolutely beautiful. The weather was perfect- about 72-75* during the day. There was not ice on the lake, many people were fishing and we saw many hikers. When you get there, after you turn right off of the main highway and go all the way up the mountain, then get into where you turn right to go to the lake and park- then look off to the left of where you turned right and there is a little opening in the fence. Walk through there, walk about I don't know a little ways- 150 steps?? go to the right, and there is the most beautiful water fall. Seriously, it's a great place. DO NOT FORGET THE BUG SPRAY! there are a TON of mosquitoes! Also, on your way there, you will see little pools, fish those pools. They are filled with fish. I hope this helps.

You might want to look at Rock Creek Lake area. I am not sure- but if you call the Rock Creek Lake Resort, they might be able to send you a map... the number is 760-935-4311. If they can not send you one, PM me your address, and I will send you a copy of the one I picked up. There are a ton of little lakes up there you can hike too also. I did not know it, but when the trucks can not get into the area, the lakes are stocked by aircraft. It states on their map that there are golden trout, brook, brown, cutthroat and rainbow trout in the upper lakes.

Have a great trip! : )

makokid
07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
My son and I have hiked over Piute Pass in early July the last two years. This year we are waiting until the first of August. My guess is right now you could probably get over the pass but the stream crossings may be difficult. You should have no problems the end of July. Bugs should be pretty good by then and that's the main reason we are waiting this year. Fishing should be epic (usually is).

Just call the ranger station (where you pick up your permits) in Bishop as you get close and ask about the conditions. They usually have accurate information. Last year we delayed our start date one day because the rangers reported 70 MPH plus winds on the pass. Still was blowen about 30 the day we crossed but 70 would have sucked, especially sliding around on the snow/ice right before the summit.

Be safe and have a blast!