PDA

View Full Version : 6/30 Late report

MR. J
07-03-2011, 11:05 PM
This is my first report in ages. haven't been able to do much fishing since my last report. I work full time and go to school full time. Anyways, got to finally go out last Thursday. I've been watching the counts leading up to it and it looked like barracuda were biting. Thursday was not the case. I went out on the good ol' Victory, the first boat I've ever fished on hoping to catch them. Got to pierpoint around 4:30am just so I can have a better parking spot, did not want to walk to and from the overflow lot.

Left the dock around 6:20 and headed for the bait receiver to pick up some nice sardines and anchovies. The plan for the day was to look for the cuda in the morning and head out in the PM to the shoe for some bass. Unfortunately It didn't go according to plan. we went all the way down to newport looking for cuda and found nothing. On the way back up to LB, nada. They were not cooperative. so after about 3 hours of none fishing we finally made it to the shoe. It wasn't dead or anything but we had a very slow pick on the bass. Some guys fly lined or used a dropper loop for very few bass. As for myself, I fished the plastics and landed 1 calico and 4 sandies. Got to try out the new revo inshore I bought and it worked great it was smooth. I love this reel. fished a 5" big hammer in key line color with a 3/4 oz leadhead. Those bass I caught absolutely slammed it on the drop. people were amazed at me out fishing them on the bass with plastics. Caught the most bass on the boat. Probably only 20 were caught for 40-50 guys.

After that headed to the sculpin grounds for wide open sculpin fishing. pretty much every fished the same set up for everybody, blam tip with squid. two hook set up with at least an 8 hounce sinker at the bottom. Caught my limit quickly, helped those that werent so fortunate catch theirs. while helping others, I had the worst pain i've had in a while. When I went back to the bait tank for squid, I dropped my sunglasses on top off a sack. when I picked it up, my ring finger got pricked by a Sculpin fin. You can only imagine how I felt. I decided to fight through and keep fishing. But then another unfortunate thing happen, I got stung again when I was helping a kid take his fish off the hooks. grabbed the bottom fish first instead of the top and as I took the bottom one off the top one swings into my unstung had. worst feeling ever. both my hands were throbbing and burning. Felt like someone was hitting my hands with a hammer and buring it at the same time. had to stop fishing for and hour to deal with the pain. I took a nap and waited for out next move.

After all that was over, we were back at the shoe to try and get some bass or cuda. it was 3:00pm and sure enough we found a decent school. I hate fishing bait when I don't have to but it seems like bait outfished the iron today. most of the cuda being caught were caught on fly lined sardines with very few on the iron. Choosing not to give in, I finally caught one on the Iron, a black/white single hook Tady C. although it wasn't wide open we had a steady pick at them. probably 40-50 were caught. we stayed well past the time were supposed to stop fishing. we eventually left for home at 4:30.

All in all it felt good to get back on the water despite it being slow and getting stung by sculpin in both hands. I might do it again this Thursday.

JapanRon
07-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Mr.J,

WTG on the Bass with the BH and NOT being tipped with Squid ..... i.e. naked !! Not an easy thing to do presently on the moo-moos and anchored. As with my report, I was out the 29th for only a couple Bass and the usual cuda.

Await further reports,

JapanRon

MR. J
07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
It took me almost an hour after anchoring to get bit. I almost gave in to using bait. LOL