PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting kitty's.

DynoDan
07-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Ok guys here is one for you. My experience with catching cats is they either swallow the bait whole or they bite and then release. Any one know why they bite then release. Last week at the vine they were just swallowing every thing insite. This week at a local lake they would bite hard then release. @ the vine on Friday they did the same thing hit hard then release. What suggestions do you have for me? hooks?bait? Hooking the bait? I was using 1/0 and 2/0 single hooks. Bait holders I believe. Also I was flylining the bait. Thanks and fish on !

fish-o-haulic
07-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Catfish will pick up bait but if they feel the wait of the sinker theyll put it back down. Otherwise theyll take it.

fish-o-haulic
07-02-2011, 11:07 PM
wait you said you were flylining. UUUHHH maybe your hook could have been too big but that shouldnt have been the case unless they were really small catfish.

mjc89
07-02-2011, 11:25 PM
i would recommend u try circle hooks. thats wut i use. wen u cast out leave sum slack in ur line. i use a bobber and hang it on the line. then just watch ur bobber and wen a fish picks up the bait theyll either slam it or slowly pull. now u dont set the hook with circle hooks. wut i do wen i see the bobber going up i wait till its almost all the way up then i pick up the rod pull back slowly and start reeling. wut the circle hook does is it usually hook um in the lip. but sumtimes they swallow it deep and wen u reel the hook catches the gut. but most of the time its a lip hook. for bait id stick to mack and shrimp. and if u want to float ur bait off the bottom use marshmallows

fish-o-haulic
07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Thats completely different method from what i normally use but for me personally would be a good secondary technique. I actually catch more and bigger catfish on just plain old nightcrawler. I normally cut it blow it up and make sure it will float then cast it out. Ive used similar methods to what your talking about mjc89 but it normally gets me smaller cats not to demean your method or anything. OH and for mrbrggdr sometimes catfish will actually just kinda sit there with it. Like mjc said theyll pull lightely and after a while if you dont realize a fish is on and so you dont reel in the fish will just kinda sit there.

mjc89
07-02-2011, 11:46 PM
ya. ive had more luck on shrimp and mack. ive used crawlers but no luck. idk if the shrimp and mack get smaller fish. have u seen my post on puddingstone?

fish-o-haulic
07-02-2011, 11:52 PM
no havent seen it ill check it out.

mjc89
07-02-2011, 11:56 PM
please do so. they were caught on shrimp with a lil sumthin