PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Shore Slay 7/1

eggot
07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Made a gametime decision to fish yesterday and hit up Roskov. Met at Gallion's around 3pm, picked up bait, and headed out. Fished from about 3:45-close. Spot 1: never tried shore fishing off the Vista del Lago exit so hit that up first. Gave up after 30 minutes cuz of all the boaters driving by 30 feet from shore. Spot 2: Hit the channel where everyone else normally fishes. Apparently pretty slow all day there too. Spot 3: moved a lil ways down and tried another new spot we've never been before at about 6pm-close. From here to close was just WFO on cats. The action drew the attention of a few anglers and they decided to come see what the fuss was about. They were using nightcrawlers and squid and apparently never heard of Gallion's so we shared some of our fresh dead. Kinda sucked cuz me and Roskov both forgot our coolers and stringers so we just had a bunch of cats piled up on the ground. Even worse was that our catch had to trunk it and now my trunk smells like sh*t. Anyways total catch between us two was 10 cats (1 dink released) and 1 striper (released cuz it was a super dink). Got broken off by a nicer grade and farmed more than we caught.

Other random notes:
- been used to LMB & stripers lately so I forgot that I should NEVER lip a cat. Got chomped on twice and now hands torn up. I dropped kicked that cat in the head WWF style in response to biting me lol
- fish seemed to play mind games with Roskov, I assume they were super dink stripers.
- Size 1-2 hooks and 6lb. line, carolina rig and split shot rigs both worked fine.
- all cats kept were solid, averaging 18'' (the small one in the pic was only kept cuz it was a bleeder).
- big cat for the day went 22'' and weighed close to 5lb on my crappy spring scale. That bad boy made a sick 1/2 spool run so it was extra fun.
- Gallion's fresh dead FTW.
- Lastly sorry to the lady that worked at the gate for us lagging it while leaving. Trying to figure out how to transfer and clean off a bunch of dirty cats with no cooler, stringer, or bags to my car was quite a puzzle.

Here's some pics:

fish-o-haulic
07-02-2011, 08:27 PM
sounds like a fun day and eventful day. I was supposed to go out last friday but the guys i was going with forgot and scheduled themselves to work.

Roskov
07-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Dude, mind games I swear. Haha. Overall good day, next time we know where to go right away. Oh and those birds are goin down...

smokehound
07-03-2011, 01:25 AM
It's better to grab catfish by the head.

dkinla
07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Nice report! Never heard of so many cats being caught there. We usually target those elusive stripers from the shore.. Basically along the rocks and area in front of that new tackle store that opened up. You guys get all this action there? Sounds like fun for sure...

fish-o-haulic
07-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Nice report! Never heard of so many cats being caught there. We usually target those elusive stripers from the shore.. Basically along the rocks and area in front of that new tackle store that opened up. You guys get all this action there? Sounds like fun for sure...

Sometimes i catch more catfish than striper. Ive caught quite a bit of catfish from pyramid. All decent sized too.

dkinla
07-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Thx for the reply. How do u keep fresh dead chunks of sardines on your hook when u cast?? Even frozen chunks fly off sometimes. Also, u guys were on the rocks/near tackle shop?

fishfinder
07-04-2011, 01:18 PM
thats a lot of kitty's

eggot
07-04-2011, 01:21 PM
The rocks have been producing if you look at hitts0n's reports.. but we found them in the channel. Just gotta keep moving.. I honestly don't see the point in sitting in one spot all day and hoping for the fish to come. We fished 3 spots moving from the first two places after getting no love after 45 minutes-1 hour of soaking.

Also just keep the dines on ice, and make sure you hook it thru twice. Light/gentle casts help too.

dkinla
07-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Thx for the advice! I guess u don't cast very far then with gentle casts.. U use heavier egg sinkers then? I've only tried as far as the rocks.. I guess the channel you're talking about is way further in where that sandy beach starts? I've seen ppl trek all their gear pretty far in.

I also recently got a couple of okuma avenger baitrunner reels... U think leaving it on free-spool mode with the baitrunner mode.. Then setting hook once it runs would work? Not just for cats, but stripers too? I was thinking of using circle hooks too so they hook themselves too. Just thinking of trying new methods...

eggot
07-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I bring 2 med action spinning rods, a 6 1/2 and a 7 ft both rigged w/ 6lb test. I can still cast it a decent ways and I'm using 3/8 oz egg sinkers max. Definitely not halfway into the channel like the others with their surf/pier gear but far enough. The wind was blowing pretty strong for most of the afternoon which did make it harder to cast.

I've learned from other members on fnn that even moving a few feet can make a huge difference so keep trying different spots if you aren't getting bit after some time. Just cuz I nailed a bunch of cats last Friday in a particular spot in the channel doesn't mean they'll be in the same exact spot another day so just keep looking til you locate a decent sized school. Shore fishing + no fish finder is soooo hit or miss.

fish-o-haulic
07-05-2011, 12:25 AM
I would be willing to bet that there are still a decent amount of cats in the channel still though. I fish out of the channel mainly and hit alot of cats there. almost every trip.

Poseidon
07-05-2011, 01:31 AM
where is the channel, im confused. is it the part where u enter and the aquaduct water spills in?

eggot
07-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I would be willing to bet that there are still a decent amount of cats in the channel still though. I fish out of the channel mainly and hit alot of cats there. almost every trip.

No doubt there's always fish in the channel, I was just referring to the specific spot in the channel where we found the school of cats.

Hooked Up
07-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Nice haul! Thanks for the report! :)

KID-FISH
07-05-2011, 02:21 PM
That's a lot of fried kittys! Congrats on finding the hot spot, shore fishing at Pyramid can be pretty tough.

Thanks for the report.

adriiiian
07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Good Job Andre, keep it up!