PDA

View Full Version : Rock Lake

Karyn
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Day 1-
We went up to Rock lake and NO LIE- in about 2 hours I caught 15 fish from the shore (catch and release)! Many of them were stockers, but I had a blast! I will post photos later. The hot bait- are you ready??? Purple Powerbait. I think it's call Nymph? They were gobbling that down like crazy! I switched over to Drew's trout worms, and the fish got a little bigger. It was funny- there was this couple who were just watching us cast and catch... cast and catch. over and over and over again. Then, when we were about to leave, they wanted our spot, but these other two guys beat them to it! I've renamed the rock to "Trout Rock." We just came back to the hotel, cleaned up, and now, we are off to spot #2. WHAT A GREAT DAY!!! : )

So I tried a new thing- okay, new to me. I went to the market and got some garlic and crushed it up (put it under the tire in a baggie- I didn't have my garlic press) and mixed it with the Berkley bait. It didn't do much, but then, I thought, "Hey, put some in the worms." I smushed them together and went to work! Bingo!

UPDATE: We went to spot #2 and caught big huge brown trout! TOTALLY HUGE! I have #4 line on my pole and the fish totally put up a big fight. I thought I was going to break my line- but it didn't : ) Awesome day! Just what a girl needed! PS) I can't tell you the spot, it's a secret- but it's 10 miles away from Bishop.

Day 2: Today was beyond awesome. After doing some fishing, we went up to North Lake all the way up to the last campground- where you pass the little river under you before you get to the main parking lot, there was an opening. I went back into there and thought I was in HE** with all the mosquitoes (Thank GOD for bug spray!), BUT, about 200-300 yards up, I was in complete heaven! There is the most beautiful water fall! The water was roaring, the sun was in the right position, beyond beautiful! Not to be too corney- the waterfall did take my breath away. It was so incredible! I fished the river a little. I forgot my camera for that one, so you know what that means! Another trip! :) It's all good!!! Photos to come when I get home. I really didn't take too many, but I will learn and post them. IF anyone wants to send me tips on how to do it, I would appreciate it.

Karyn
07-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Update to original post

retired96
07-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Do you mean Rock Creek Lake? I have never heard of Rock Lake in the Sierras....

phishin phool
07-03-2011, 08:13 AM
AWWWW come there's no secrets on fnn.......lol. Catch and release on power bait, how do you do that?? congrats on the brownie, no pics???

Karyn
07-03-2011, 09:43 PM
AWWWW come there's no secrets on fnn.......lol. Catch and release on power bait, how do you do that?? congrats on the brownie, no pics???

I don't know if we are doing it correctly, but, honestly, here's what we did- we used a bigger hook, took off the barbs and used a bunch. There were some other people there who we gave our fish too- the fish that we knew would not make it. I also used regular hooks and pinched the barbs off.

Kinda funny, I was on a river up near where all the red woods are- I have to look up what the river's name is... anyway, I was reading in a book that you had to use barbless hooks so, I went into a shop to buy them. Stupid me! I did not know you cut the barbs off. The man was very nice and taught me how to do it, but I felt really dumb!

Karyn
07-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Yes, you are correct. It is Rock Creek Lake. Thanks for catching that. ;)

FSHNLIC
07-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Hmmmm.... 10 miles away huh??? Stay out of my spot!!!!! HaHaHa.... but, I do know where you're talking about.... actually, there could be a couple spots that fit this bill.... and yes, its best to keep it hush.... Please release all Browns!!!! Take a pic and release!!!!

Day 1-

We went up to Rock lake and NO LIE- in about 2 hours I caught 15 fish from the shore (catch and release)! Many of them were stockers, but I had a blast! I will post photos later. The hot bait- are you ready??? Purple Powerbait. I think it's call Nymph? They were gobbling that down like crazy! I switched over to Drew's trout worms, and the fish got a little bigger. It was funny- there was this couple who were just watching us cast and catch... cast and catch. over and over and over again. Then, when we were about to leave, they wanted our spot, but these other two guys beat them to it! I've renamed the rock to "Trout Rock." We just came back to the hotel, cleaned up, and now, we are off to spot #2. WHAT A GREAT DAY!!! : )

So I tried a new thing- okay, new to me. I went to the market and got some garlic and crushed it up (put it under the tire in a baggie- I didn't have my garlic press) and mixed it with the Berkley bait. It didn't do much, but then, I thought, "Hey, put some in the worms." I smushed them together and went to work! Bingo!

UPDATE: We went to spot #2 and caught big huge brown trout! TOTALLY HUGE! I have #4 line on my pole and the fish totally put up a big fight. I thought I was going to break my line- but it didn't : ) Awesome day! Just what a girl needed! PS) I can't tell you the spot, it's a secret- but it's 10 miles away from Bishop.

Day 2: Today was beyond awesome. After doing some fishing, we went up to North Lake all the way up to the last campground- where you pass the little river under you before you get to the main parking lot, there was an opening. I went back into there and thought I was in HE** with all the mosquitoes (Thank GOD for bug spray!), BUT, about 200-300 yards up, I was in complete heaven! There is the most beautiful water fall! The water was roaring, the sun was in the right position, beyond beautiful! Not to be too corney- the waterfall did take my breath away. It was so incredible! I fished the river a little. I forgot my camera for that one, so you know what that means! Another trip! :) It's all good!!! Photos to come when I get home. I really didn't take too many, but I will learn and post them. IF anyone wants to send me tips on how to do it, I would appreciate it.

FSHNLIC
07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Also, congrats on the slay great job!!! I wanna see the pic's though

Karyn
07-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Also, congrats on the slay great job!!! I wanna see the pic's though

I didn't take a "real" camera, I took my new IPOD touch! But I understand it's easier to post photos? I DO NOT know? I'm going to have my students help me tomorrow at break. They will show me lickety split on how to do it- they know techology like the back of their hands.

As for my secret, are you ready???? MAKE play dough out of flour, garlic powder, a FEW drops olive oil (not too much), water, pressed garlic oil. IF you want to use color, add food coloring or jello mix. I don't know the exact recipe- I just add it together as I go. The nice thing is that it's NON TOXIC and it melts away when you put it in the water- the fish smell it- and just like you when you smell a delicious BBQ cooking, your taste buds start watering. The garlic powder works good. If it gets too hard when you are fishing, add water. Simple. I do not think using this is illegal. Power Bait gets kinda smushy and well- it gets under my short finger nails. I like it better than marshmallows- with the exception, you can eat them and well, that's always a plus. You could eat this bait, but it wouldn't taste very good : ( Also, garlic helps the fishy smell to go away.

Another little tip I learned this weekend is to get these incense things that make the mosquitoes stay away! I don't really like to put bug spray on because of the Deet and the problems it may cause; however, it is better than getting bit! Trust me, I am scratching! I'm putting salt/water paste on my bites and it's helping. : )

Go get em Fshhic! PS, That's a beauty you are holding. It looks like it's wide as your shoulders! WOW!

Karyn
07-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Yes, your are correct. It is Rock Creek lake. Thanks for catching that : )

smidge
07-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the report Karyn. Going up with the gf and showed her your post and she's getting excited.

Karyn
07-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the report Karyn. Going up with the gf and showed her your post and she's getting excited.

You guys will have a blast. Try using purple colored berkley bait. It worked really good. Stay cool, bring extra water, and wear sunscreen.