PDA

View Full Version : Lake skinner 7/1. Sad day..

Totempole
07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Well. Arrived at lake skinner this morning and had plenty space for shore fishing. Unfortunately didn't return or release any :.( here's the story. Despite the stocking tha lake on 6/30
Arrived at ramp 2 with few peeps already fishing at around 7. Decided to go a little further in between ramp1 and 2 shore fishing area. First 2 hrs nothing. Got nibbles and bait stolen but nothing to be proud of. ::: demoralized:::: let's see if we can get some kittys at another spot. So further we went intho this area where someone left a cutoff channel cat head on the beach :( first 20 mins BAM hook ok battled it for a good 2 min then snap:( ( I'm a beginner even on a 12# I can't even get it. :: even more demoralizing) ok ... 2nd try same spot. WHAM!! Fish on this time I'm sure I got it!! It was almost to shore! I can see it my gf could see it. Omg it was huge ( to my eyes about 1'6" Iono I thought it was big lol) I got so excited I reeled in faster and pulled the rod then SNAP!! Bye bye fish... I know it was a very stupid move I should have gotten the net. Or not pull the rod to hard n let it come drifting towards me. But it was my first cat in 8 yrs.. And I got trigger happy. I wanted to hold that cat and yell a truimphant YES! But to my stupidity I let it go... Well, to make me feel better as I headed back to my car I asked a couple fishers around and they said they got no bits . Then one told me a little girl got 2 cats a foot long. Gahhh, time to cry in my corner..Off to Lake Elsinore on my 3 day vaca from long beach. Any tips for lake Elsinore for these 2 beginners? I heard it was a good time for cats right now. Thanks.. Flame on :(:Crying:

P.A.W.
07-02-2011, 06:15 AM
You actually had one at the beach.... not too bad considering the slow day out there. I had a few dink stripers and a couple farmed LMB. Everyone I talked to on boats was having a slow day too. Good luck at Lake Smellsomore.

Totempole
07-02-2011, 06:23 AM
What's so bad about lake Elsinore?

That Dang Guy
07-02-2011, 07:29 AM
IMO you learn faster by making mistakes. Keep at it!

GL!

P.A.W.
07-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Over the years that lake has seen a lot of cycles from truly smelly and green to pretty good. It is a shallow lake with lots of carp that stir up the sediment. The good news is that I hear the Catfish bite is on right now. The Press Enterprise lists William's Bait and Tackle at the source for good Elsinore info. 951-642-0640.

Totempole
07-02-2011, 07:50 AM
IMO you learn faster by making mistakes. Keep at it!

GL!

Thanks!

Yea were actually going to that baitshop to speak to him lol

Kevthecatfishstudent
07-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Elsinore is a lake that I actually do pretty well at. Pack light, continue to move every 15 minutes or so. These cat like to hang out in the brush in the shallow waters (most times) but when the recreation activity pick up its all bad for the fishing so fish different depths to find them. Flyline cut baits, liver, shrimp and crawlers, shad work best here. For the carp, buy you some mesa (Corn Flour) make dough with the lake water and you can catch those all day. If you brought some of those mackeral that have been hitting out in long beach definitely use that. I say again the most important thing there is to keep moving. You will no when you are on them because you will get hit quick. After you cast here, be sure to lift your rod and keep it in a pole holder that is as vertical as possible because there is a lot of brush under the water and if you loosen your line you will get hung up and broken off on every fish. Hope this is helpful. I may be back on here later and would love to hear how you do because I may hit it tonight.

Mr.Wolf
07-02-2011, 09:32 AM
It sounds like u may have your drag too tight, if u know u have a fish on and the lines super tight, loosen up the drag and tire the fish out, reel in a little bit and if he wants too take off let him, you'll end up making him tired and way easier to land. Good luck !

Fishbreath
07-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Good job on getting them to bite. It sounds like you are getting more advice than you bargained for, but you really should not be breaking off 18" catfish on 12# line even with the drag buttoned too tight. Having the drag looser would certainly give you a safety cushion, but I have to wonder if your line is old or if your knots are suspect. I know you will get it right soon. Good luck.

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
Click here for the best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

Totempole
07-02-2011, 01:44 PM
It may have been my knot but line I doubt cause their brand new bought last week. I used the snell knot wrapped around 8 times. But then again I may have used the line my gf did I don't know. But at the end of that catch I sure was questioning myself how it happened.

update: lake Elsinore was packed... Even around lakeshore dr. Decided to go to lake Perris on the east end. No bites thus far not even redear or bluegills. This is sad.

Update 2: back in long beach with nothing to show to anyone.. :.( maybe next week I'll get somethin at SARL..
Anyways ... Thanks again everyone for the help. I'm a mch better fisherman than I was before, but I still have lots to learn. Looks like I'm going to bump my line up to 15# flylining next week. Let's see how it goes.