PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara crayfish, crawfish, crawdad trapping help

muley6x6
07-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Has anybody out there had any luck trapping crayfish, crawfish, crawdads in the Santa Barbara area. I have only had limited luck locating a few in small ponds in the local area. I am hoping to find a better population that makes it worth the effort. Anybody have any suggestions?

christainmetalhead909
07-01-2011, 11:06 AM
i was curious about this too but for big bear lake i have seen a bunch of them so i bought a trap to go try it out but i dont know where or what bait. i have seen them eat my trout on a stringer before.

exfactor
07-01-2011, 11:15 AM
red rock san ynez river

kaneo
07-01-2011, 12:53 PM
any small stream or flowing water will have them, even small bodies of water with no movement will have them, they live under rocks, and in the mucky water... i just take an old shad net, and scoop out all the leaves, and crappy looking stuff, toss it on the bank and you will see them crawling around.... we would literally get 100's at a time..

TheAsianGuy
07-01-2011, 02:36 PM
i was curious about this too but for big bear lake i have seen a bunch of them so i bought a trap to go try it out but i dont know where or what bait. i have seen them eat my trout on a stringer before.

Shove a bunch of canned sardine in a fine mesh, wrap it up in a ball the size of your fist, half cut herring/cod in the center of trap, and soak it for a good 5 hours. You'll be surprise what you will catch in your trap, including trouts, cats, crawlers, and gills. Tried that before..but no fun capturing too many critters in one trap..I prefer the convention method of capturing them using hooks, or C4s.

christainmetalhead909
07-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Shove a bunch of canned sardine in a fine mesh, wrap it up in a ball the size of your fist, half cut herring/cod in the center of trap, and soak it for a good 5 hours. You'll be surprise what you will catch in your trap, including trouts, cats, crawlers, and gills. Tried that before..but no fun capturing too many critters in one trap..I prefer the convention method of capturing them using hooks, or C4s.

ohh cool man ill try it out when i get out there ill have to find some find mesh now

Hometown
07-03-2011, 02:42 PM
women nylons work

ohh cool man ill try it out when i get out there ill have to find some find mesh now

Sparky70
07-04-2011, 07:41 AM
do women wear nylons anymore ? :EyePop: :EyePop: :Surprised:

muley6x6
07-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Unfortunately the road up to Red Rock is closed at the LP Boys Camp. Anybody ever try Lake Cachuma? Or any golf course ponds?