PDA

View Full Version : In need of a bit of advice please.

Markymark13
06-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Hey all,

Well its been awhile since I've had a chance to get out fishing and usually I do freshwater, but a friend offered to take me out of his kayak in Newport/Balboa Bay area. I used on his setups which was mainly targeted for deep sea. I want to build a nice light line setup just for trying to bass and butts in the bay. Since I dont own a kayak myself would do a lot of walking around just fishing the boat docks i think. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much
Mark

vanillagurilla
06-30-2011, 04:16 PM
so you need advice on a rod or on where to fish?

.:LOLLY:.
06-30-2011, 05:01 PM
1/4oz - 3/8oz lead heads with 3"-4" swimbaits
drop shot also works really well

I like to go with my 7'-4" custom rod with 10lbs test

good luck out there

Markymark13
06-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Sorry, I was a but vague in what I was asking for. I'm looking for what type of rod reel combo is a good one to use. I was going to go out and try and buy a setup to use due to everything I own currently is for freshwater and my friend told me that the saltwater will ruin the reels. Thanks again for the fast responses and help.

klymons
06-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Your friend is absolutely, positively wrong! I have been using my freshwater trout rigs for years to fish the the surf. What will damage the reels is neglect. Just squirt down your rods and reels with freshwater after each trip. And save one of the hose blasts for your friend--he is already all wet anyway!

CraigH
06-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I've been using an Abu Garcia 5500 baitcasting reel with 12 lb test line on twilight and 3/4 day boats for at least 5 years. It gets used 4 or 5 times a year and washed off after each use. It looks no different than a reel that would have been used in fresh water and shows no signs of corroding or wearing out.

DockRat
07-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Your friend is absolutely, positively wrong! I have been using my freshwater trout rigs for years to fish the the surf. What will damage the reels is neglect. Just squirt down your rods and reels with freshwater after each trip. And save one of the hose blasts for your friend--he is already all wet anyway!

Yup. Freshwater lures work good too. Caught a Bonito in Feb on a Kastmaster.
Tell your friend what ruins your gear and mind is dust. Lol
Just use what you got. 'Just Say No' to gear sitting around collecting dust.
DR

oakboy
07-01-2011, 07:42 AM
To echo some of the previous posts, your freshwater set ups will do just fine as long as you maintain them well with a rinse every trip and a lube every few trips. If you want to buy a new set up i like shimano rod and reels personally. I have a corvalus 400 with a 7' Scimtar rod and love it for the harbour and the beach.

<><
KP