PDA

View Full Version : catfish in OC?

TheMightyGerbil
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I need to wet a line again before I go postal and start gnawing on someone's elbow. Where in OC can I go after catfish and have a reasonable chance at actually landing one? Don't say SARL, I've yet to catch anything besides a twig and a sunburn there. Would also like to find myself a little group of fellow anglers to shoot the breeze with on the shore...would love to find another female or two to fish with but it seems that we fishin' gals are hard to come by! But I won't snub the fellers either so long as they mind their manners. (only to an extent of course; manners can make for dull times when overapplied, KWIM? >:p)

TheAsianGuy
06-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Have you check the Irvine Lake's info in its specialized forum?

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/forumdisplay.php?58-Irvine-Lake-Reports

If you're talking about the local city's parks, well, haven't heard much.

LBass1
06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Irvine is going to be one of the best spots unless you time it right for a DFG plant at a local city park lake. I have gone to Irvine on serveral catfish trips even during the mid week and never been skunked. Seems to be one of the few pay lakes that you can always hook up on fish.

etucker1959
06-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Irvine is going to be one of the best spots unless you time it right for a DFG plant at a local city park lake. I have gone to Irvine on serveral catfish trips even during the mid week and never been skunked. Seems to be one of the few pay lakes that you can always hook up on fish.
Try Laguna lake in Fullerton,I am going tonight. Legg lake Fri,or Sat Next week all of the San Bernadino, lakes Fri or Sat. If you want more information PM me. I catch hundreds of catfish a year all from shore in local lakes.

evosamurai
06-30-2011, 09:54 PM
yeah my buddies Phil A. Shio and Haywood Jablome go to laguna lake, also there is laguna niguel lake off the 5 fwy thats pretty nice, good reports coming from Eaton Twots who lives in san clemente

smokehound
06-30-2011, 10:16 PM
The catfish at SARL are easy to catch, you just cant use C-rigs.. There are tons at SARL, too. Remember all the catfish plants in winter? They stocked the crap outta SARL!

There should still be a few kitties at all the lakes they recently stocked in OC.

I would check out Tri-City Park, as they are open later, have a large, deep lake, and lots of holdovers survive there, and get huge!

Hooked Up
06-30-2011, 11:04 PM
I know you said not SARL but have you checked out their video? Stocked Tues. and it shows you where!? They also stocked Tilapia. You should watch it? Just for your info? :)

TheMightyGerbil
07-01-2011, 08:47 AM
How is LNL for catfish? I don't have a fishing license so I have to stick with pay-to-play lakes - besides, I like to eat my catch and I don't trust city lakes much in that regard. :p Pollution is not delicious. I've done Irvine for trout but never did well, seemed like the only ones really catching had a boat. If I try irvine for cats where should I set up?

evosamurai
07-01-2011, 10:15 AM
if u arent getting a boat @ irvine my friend Hugh Jassole says to fish the flats near the trees just got word from hughs friend Dick Gozinya he confirms that

etucker1959
07-01-2011, 01:07 PM
How is LNL for catfish? I don't have a fishing license so I have to stick with pay-to-play lakes - besides, I like to eat my catch and I don't trust city lakes much in that regard. :p Pollution is not delicious. I've done Irvine for trout but never did well, seemed like the only ones really catching had a boat. If I try irvine for cats where should I set up?
I fish alot of places with great sucess. your criteria you set for yourself leads to only one place Jess Ranch. Why no license, well water lakes, great eating fish ,easy to catch catfish and trout all from the shore.

TheMightyGerbil
07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
I fish alot of places with great sucess. your criteria you set for yourself leads to only one place Jess Ranch. Why no license, well water lakes, great eating fish ,easy to catch catfish and trout all from the shore.

I would LOVE to hit the ranch but it's almost 2 hours away from me - and that's if I don't hit any traffic!

fish-o-haulic
07-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I hear ya, I dont fish at place that are more than an hour away from me unless i stay at a place close to it the night b4. Really though this is great info cuz im looking to go catfishing next week, but all the places named are like 2hrs away from me or more. Anyone know how lake elizabeth or quail lake is doing right now.

fish-o-haulic
07-01-2011, 06:36 PM
You know what rethinking it i may hit a further out of the way lake since thats where the cats are. Anyone mind telling me how to fish the catfish at SARL and maybe a good general area that has recently produced. Sorry to thread jack just for a moment mightygerbil i hope you dont mind. As soon as i can get at least one response ill get and you wont have to worry about me jacking this thread anymore. But anyway im traveling from a moderate distance so I would like to not be skunked. If anyone has any info for me id appreciate it. BTW i am an avid catfisherman and catch them often so if conventional techniques work at SARL that'd be great to know. Again sorry for the quick thread jack.

evosamurai
07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
fish o let me know when u go ill go down there

fish-o-haulic
07-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Cool i may be with my uncle. Ima try and remember to tell you

evosamurai
07-02-2011, 09:20 AM
i live like 15 min from there

Criss
07-02-2011, 01:15 PM
if u arent getting a boat @ irvine my friend Hugh Jassole says to fish the flats near the trees just got word from hughs friend Dick Gozinya he confirms that

I thought you usually always fish with your closet buddy? BEN DOVER. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

evosamurai
07-02-2011, 09:23 PM
yeah usually but hes with his gf Emma Roid out in the ocean