PDA

View Full Version : Bernasconi Road (Perris) June 29

vortec_cruiser
06-30-2011, 11:11 AM
I thought I'd go to Perris for another great day of fishing for bluegill and redear, but that was not the case. I got to Bernasconi just after 6AM, and had my tube in the water by 6:30AM. Armed with a good supply of fat crickets and an assortment of small plugs, I was ready for battle. Unfortunately, the fish were not. Over the next five hours, I averaged about 1.5 fish per hour. This is a far cry from the fishing action I have been experiencing in this area over the past few weeks. I'm wondering if it's an indication of the panfish bite tapering off, or maybe it's just a bad day of fishing. By the way, I didn't get a single hit on plugs, which has not been the case in the past. I usually get at least a few bluegill and redears on the small Rapalas. I even got a nice crappie on that lure last time I was here. Anyway, there will be a next time.

Here's a pic of the nicest fish I caught yesterday. He was 10"+.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/1309370030886.jpg

SirBluegill
06-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Hey Ed, I dont think it was just you but the past four trips where all small gills for me. I tube Bernasconi once and spent 4 hours with only 2 small gills on crankbaits in the shallows. And ended that trip with a 10 inch trout on the way back.

However today I just came back from Perris. I was fishing the launch ramps (from shore) with my snap beans and was able to locate a school of 7 to 9 inch gills. I caught 3 gills in less then an hour and had a lot of misses all in one spot. But the fun ended when one of those large swimming birds dove in at my school and the bite stopped after that. Heres a some pictures of the three gills. one 7 inch and two 8 inchers. O ya I ran into Sublime-Steve and Tacklejunkie there today cool meeting you guys!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/FoxBoy007/Fishing/0630110803.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/FoxBoy007/Fishing/0630110746a.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/FoxBoy007/Fishing/0630110746f.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/FoxBoy007/Fishing/0630110843.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/FoxBoy007/Fishing/0630110844b.jpg

bassgrabber1
06-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Those are nice fish guys...WTG!

vortec_cruiser
06-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Those are some nice fish, Anthony. I ordered some Snap Beans and can't wait to try them. Where did you get yours?

SirBluegill
06-30-2011, 12:30 PM
I got mine from sport chalet by the Tyler Mall, I think they have gold/black, silver/blue, and the bean you see in my pics Tennessee Shad color.

TheAsianGuy
06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Very nice guys! Bass Pro has a few of them in stock when I went a few days ago. Napped one myself after 3 guys the other napped 4. Nearly have a jump down on them :LOL: (j/k). I may have to swing by Sport Challet at Tyler Ave afterall. The one in Fontana doesn't have it. If you guys see an Asian dude with 3 teens hanging around him this Sat, that's me teaching the kids to fish the local water for survival training.

The Lone Fisherman
06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Great catch there guys! I would recommend replacing the hooks on those Snap Beans though.

TheAsianGuy
06-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Great catch there guys! I would recommend replacing the hooks on those Snap Beans though.

You noticed too huh? I swapped mine out with the #6 Gamakatsu Circle Octopus. Also swapped my Thomas and a few other rattle traps. Works so freaking good! Minus the damages done by the treble hooks.

SirBluegill
06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
What exaclty do you two mean? Do the trebles break easy? or replace them because there hard to get out of a fish? or do you get more hook ups with a diffrent hook? Thanks

The Lone Fisherman
06-30-2011, 01:36 PM
You noticed too huh? I swapped mine out with the #6 Gamakatsu Circle Octopus. Also swapped my Thomas and a few other rattle traps. Works so freaking good! Minus the damages done by the treble hooks.

I swapped them with the #12 Owner ST36 and pinch the barbs down. So far, so good...

Kelster
06-30-2011, 01:40 PM
I had my treble hook break last weekend.

TheAsianGuy
06-30-2011, 01:58 PM
What exaclty do you two mean? Do the trebles break easy? or replace them because there hard to get out of a fish? or do you get more hook ups with a diffrent hook? Thanks

Cheap trebles bend and break easily. On top of that, the treble hooks cause quite a bit of damages on fishes that you're letting go. Of course, most the gills you're catching were at the kept sizes. I like to release the ones that are loaded with eggs, or less than 8". Using the Gamakatsu circle hooks, minus the barb, is a perfect way to quickly release them, minus the unnecessary damages. My kids hate me for doing that, since some of their big fishes got away during the battles. However, I was using the cheapy J-hooks. Didn't think too much to get the circle hooks back then. The circle hooks made the believer out of me.

TheAsianGuy
06-30-2011, 03:58 PM
I got mine from sport chalet by the Tyler Mall, I think they have gold/black, silver/blue, and the bean you see in my pics Tennessee Shad color.

Just letting you guys know, if you live in or near Riverside, the Sport Chalet along Tyler Ave has the following left (since I just went there during my break to grab two more snap beans..and organized it neatly for you all):

3 silver-blue (no color)
2 golden shad
4 Tennessee shad
1 trout

First come, first serve! Two more guys were hovering the area looking between the Rapala and Yo-Zuri cranks.

SirBluegill
06-30-2011, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=TheAsianGuy;559791 two more snap beans..and organized it neatly for you all):[/QUOTE]

Cool what colors did you get?

TheAsianGuy
06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Golden shad, Tennessee Shad, and got my blue-silver (no color) at Bass Pro. Saw the trout, but the light and bell chimed in..We're in I.E. where the wind and turbidity is high. That trout color won't be seen by anything in the murky water. Shiny and bright is what get their attention, just like the sparkling shads that swim all over the shallow water surfaces.