PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill help!!!

house
06-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Any advice on catching bluegills in any of the OC parks will be greatly appreciated.

TheAsianGuy
06-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Not sure how the water is in the OC parks, and how abundance the food sources are (bugs, weeds, etc.), water temp, and the depths, but if it's slightly clear, not enough bugs falling in, nice warm water, water depth around 5 to 10 feet, go for drop shot rigs with 10" to 14" leader, or a slip bobber rig with a 12" leader, using live baits of meal, wax, nightcrawlers, or red wiggly worms. Crickets is also the ticket. If you're using crank baits, make sure it's nice, shiny, and make a lot of noise with internal beads (rattle trap).

If the water is dull, opague, or just too high in turbidity, shiny rattle trap crank lure, or soft bait that let loose lots and lots of salt. Use live worms will attract them, but those worms got to really move. Red wigglies and nightcrawlers will be your ticket.

fishmounter
06-29-2011, 11:09 PM
It's very simple. Use no more than 4 lb test monofilament line on a spinning or spincast reel and tie this directly to a #10 Baitholder or Mosquito hook, and thread on a small mealworm onto the hook. You can actually cast this worm out far enough to catch fish, but if you need a little weight to get it out farther, use a small clip-on bobber and put it above the hook at least 18 inches. (higher for deeper water.) Use as small a bobber as you can find. The little 1 inch diameter bobbers are fine. Watch your bobber and slowly wind it back in. Fish near reeds or any water weeds/plants. Easy set-up. Works great for me at all park lakes and ponds.

house
06-29-2011, 11:52 PM
thanx for the advice guys. im usually trying to catch bass but i just got a new blackrock trout rod and wanted to try it out local before i head up to mamoth next month. you guys think that rod with 5# braid with 4# floro leader is a bit much or will it work? also i was thinking of throwing a red worm on a dropshot but can try anything.

TheAsianGuy
06-30-2011, 11:47 AM
thanx for the advice guys. im usually trying to catch bass but i just got a new blackrock trout rod and wanted to try it out local before i head up to mamoth next month. you guys think that rod with 5# braid with 4# floro leader is a bit much or will it work? also i was thinking of throwing a red worm on a dropshot but can try anything.

I tend to use 6# mono with a 4# leader from Berkeley that supposedly disappear in the water. Works fine..6# just in case if a carp or cat decides to jump my line while fishing for panfishes.