PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Carpin

wrestlefish
06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Anyone know how the carp fishing has been at Irvine? I remember lots of the biggons!

vineline
06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
I haven't had anyone check in a carp lately but they are often seen along the shorelines and I've seen many in the childrens lagoon.

VineAssist
06-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Most of the guys that are successful in fishing the Carp here are specialized in the European and Japennese methods for fishing carp. I do know some websites that sell the tackle and the bait but its pretty bizarre. They fish with a dough type bait flavored with strawberry syrups and other sweet smelling syrups.

A few years back we had a couple of guys from Europe that did quite well with the above baits. They would cast them way out and just wait for the fish. Hopefully I can get Steve Carson to post on this thread as he is the "Walking Encyclopidia of Fishing". He know a ton about this stuff.

I also have seen them caught on Corn Powerbait but that is mainly just a bycatch while fishing for trout.

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Most of the guys that are successful in fishing the Carp here are specialized in the European and Japennese methods for fishing carp. I do know some websites that sell the tackle and the bait but its pretty bizarre. They fish with a dough type bait flavored with strawberry syrups and other sweet smelling syrups.

A few years back we had a couple of guys from Europe that did quite well with the above baits. They would cast them way out and just wait for the fish. Hopefully I can get Steve Carson to post on this thread as he is the "Walking Encyclopidia of Fishing". He know a ton about this stuff.

I also have seen them caught on Corn Powerbait but that is mainly just a bycatch while fishing for trout.

yeah ive heard strawberry syrup and/or sweet corn was a great bait

RickyRick
06-30-2011, 07:39 PM
I have caught them on corn with tropical punch cool aid mixed into it. Also chicken liver. Set the drag loose n listen for the bell to go crazy. I use a treble hook hiding the hooks with the bait. Love the fight

dixoncider
06-30-2011, 07:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/dixoncider/carpbait.jpg

RickyRick
06-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Where ya get that stuff at?

WOODWARD7
07-01-2011, 08:18 AM
If u want to catch carp at the vine fish by the trees with the dock in boat dock cove from shore.

Steve Carson
07-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi All,
Yes, carp are by far the world's most popular game fish [largemouth bass are #1 in the USA, and trout are #1 here in CA].
Interestingly, the World Carp Angling Championship has been shifted from Europe to the USA this year, and will be held in late September in the St. Lawrence River in New York [$130,000 in prizes].
All of the special bait recipes mentioned previously are effective, with an emphasis in sweet flavors and berry flavors.
A Google search for "European Carp Baits" will give numerous great ideas for bait formulas and rigging.
The real issue is that carp [where fished heavily] learn and remember much longer than any other fish, and anglers must keep changing around to keep catching fish.
In general, the productive specialty European techniques are extremely precise and finesse-oriented.
A seemingly insurmountable issue for CA anglers is the fact that most of the European techniques involve heavy chumming, often with a scientific dispersal to "guide" the fish to a baited hook.
Unfortunately, chumming is something that is not allowed in fresh water anywhere in the state.

Hitts0n
07-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Seen some big ones jumping for about 4 hours straight back in the flats.But they were on lock jaw,well at least on night crawlers.Im talking about in the 8-10 lb range!! Crashing the waters left n right.This was just last saturday.:Shocked::Shocked:

hooks
07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
But have any of you ever ate one? I gotta think it would be right up there with mackeral.:Potty:

Marley
07-05-2011, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=hooks;560816]But have any of you ever ate one? I gotta think it would be right up there with mackeral.:Potty:[/QUOTE

Awesome fighting fish, screamers on the trout tackle. I just can't get past their smell. I always break them off. More of a fishy steak consistency and taste than even a fishy fish.

Hitts0n
07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Next time im in that area im going to target them.....4 lb test...lol

Cangler
07-05-2011, 02:50 PM
If carp are surface feeding , free line bread crust as bait , or a piece of dog
biscuit ( superglue onto hook )

Otherwise corn or high protein baits work well. Spam but into half inch cubes ,
hook size 12 or 14 , no need for trebles , 12"" under a bubble float .

Hitts0n
07-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Believe it or not one bit on a free lined Berkley powerworm...it was floating on top(orange)

dixoncider
07-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Hotdog bun with ketchup on it was killing it at lake hemet a few weeks ago..4 lb and a #18 treble hook..

hooks
07-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Hotdog bun with ketchup on it was killing it at lake hemet a few weeks ago..4 lb and a #18 treble hook..

Now, that lake should be called carp lake, not Hemet Lake (there are millions, probably more then the vine, and I've seen a ton in the vine). I remember about 30 years ago, some jackass dumped a bunch of gold fish in the lake there. They morphed into a school of giant koi, then into the massive over population you see in the lake today. A classic example of how a non-native species can overtake a lake.
tight lines....

Steve Carson
07-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Like many things, eating carp is a matter of taste and familiarity.
In places where carp are popular, many people eat them. In some parts of Eastern Europe, instead of a "Christmas Turkey", they traditionally have a "Christmas Carp".
Of course, different people fish for different reasons, from just getting food, to being out in nature, escaping from pressures at home, or spending time with friends and family.
Although largemouth bass are highly edible, the whole culture around their popularity in the USA is related to competition. Millions of dollars are spent on specialized equipment to keep the fish alive, and many millions have been lost if the angler's catch accidentally dies.
The edibility or lack of it is irrelevant, and if you showed a fillet knife at the BASSMASTERS, it might not go well for you [lol].
Anyway, here's hoping that carp fishing gains popularity at Irvine Lake and elsewhere, they are a great angling adversary and underutilized resource.
Best of luck!