PDA

View Full Version : WSB from the YAK 6-26-11

yak-a-tak
06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
First post, figured I'd make it a good one. Just got a kayak about a month ago and have taken it out a few times, can't believe I never got one before! So much fun!

Anyway, hit the south bay on Sunday and launched at about 6:30am from KH. Picked up some live bait and the guy there said that the sand bass were hitting off Hermosa about 1.5 miles away along with some WSB breezing through. Paddled out there and there were a ton of private boats along with the local fleet-Tradition, Redondo Special, Spitfire, New Del Mar...gave it a go and started out with a sardine with a sliding sinker. Nothing happening on the live bait, think maybe anchovies may have worked better for the sand bass? saw a few caught on other boats...Switched to whole fresh squid on the dropper loop w/40lb test to see if any WSB were swimming around. Got nailed right away on my first drop off the bottom in about 90 feet of water, not sure what it was but felt heavy and then it came undone. I've had a few long distance releases on the yak-hard to get a good hookset...dropped down again and started drifting with the wind and hooked a LOG barracuda on the squid off the bottom, thought that was kind of odd as they wouldn't touch the live bait. Fish put up a good fight too! Skunk off! Drifted more with the wind and started getting away from where all the boats were and was about to relocate where I could see a bunch of birds diving on bait when I got SLAMMED! The fish immediately started pulling line. I thought I hooked a big bat ray as I saw other boats catching some. Tightened the drag up and figured I'd let it pull me around and tire it out. Fought it for a good 10 minutes and then was able to start making up ground and got it to color. Almost crapped my pants when I saw a fat WSB come up exhausted belly up and gaffed it through the neck! Called it a day early to get it on ice and was back in before the AM half day.

Hopefully the pics come out…wish I would have gotten one holding the fish on my kayak, but was cruising solo…Not sure on the weight but I’m a bit over 6ft tall…and it was tough to hold up for a pic...

ityperx
06-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Wow Congrats on a job well done. How long did it take you to paddle out there from KH?

yak-a-tak
06-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks! Took about 45min.

ityperx
06-29-2011, 03:07 PM
45 min. not bad at all. Hey at least you beat the skunk and the heat by making it back home prior to noon.

5150fishn
06-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Wow! Nice job out there on the yak. I need to get my yak out on the salt water soon. Thanks for the report and pics.

TroutKings3
06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Way to go! I've been looking into hunting the ghosts down in north Orange County, glad to see someone other than a Loyola local slaying some from the 'yak!

FISHINGVATO562
06-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah man, that would be a dream come true for me. Congrats. Hopefully I'll have one of those pull me on a sleigh ride soon.

qbi2001
06-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Nice job on the WSB, I was out on my yak further north than you looking for the same out of malibu. I need to check out King Harbor since the surf can get a little sketchy. What kind of yak you fishing from?

yak-a-tak
06-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the replies! Fishing on a Hobie Outback.

Spaulding
06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
That's awesome. Congrats.

ToadsToadsOnly
06-29-2011, 08:16 PM
First off welcome to yaking and welcome to FNN. Second off that is awesome congrats bro that is what I am talking about and not just a wsb but a Toad one. I have yet to tangle with a wsb but still crossing my fingers.

sidified
06-30-2011, 01:35 AM
OK...First, ToadsOnly nails this incredible yak-Yellow... and now you come up with this equally monstrous yak-WSB!!!!! I hope it really registers with everyone how truly rare and extraordinary it is to catch inshore beasts of this quality... Personally, I need to have a drink and lay down...

DockRat
06-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Great job on the Yak. :Applause:
DR

yak-a-tak
06-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys, I've been fishing all my life and this is definitely up at the top as one of my most memorable experiences. Hopefully many more to come. Next goal is catching a pig yellowtail-hats off to ToadsOnly on that accomplishment!

I'll be out again this weekend, hope I'll have something good to report...

fishincrave
06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Good job indeed , one fish at that size that's all you need at times . Congrats .

brownstain
06-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Nice catch!

Cangler
06-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Gratz man ... awesome first post

karlow
06-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Nice job!
I landed my largest ever WSB from my yak about 5 years ago.
34lbs a few miles north of where you nailed yours!
Strange they drag you around for a while, dam near
spooled me twice on 15 string. Then on top she just layed there like a puppydog.
It's great landing on the beach with that big girl in the yak.
WSB form hatch to crotch!
When they ask where you got it from, you say right over there and point to the sea!
Then just drag your rig up the beach.
It just don't get any better than that.

KP

Liteweight
06-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. I would have thought first report of one off a yak (locally) would be from the Rocky Pt. kelp beds.
Nice going on the yak though, must have been one heck of a ride!
LW.

Psycho_fish'r
07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
That's a BEAST! Great job!!!

JapanRon
07-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi yak-a-tak,

Nice, very nice fishy.

Congrats,

JapanRon