PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Report? - Vine Assist?? or Kewly??

karalm
06-29-2011, 05:38 AM
So I keep seeing these chunky wipers being posted but generally hear nothing in the report other then sometimes in schools busting shad balls. How do you go after these babies since not familiar w/ species. Do they like bait? Do you drift and look for bait balls, Troll? When are they active, what temps do they like?? General location found in lake?

Hey Vine assist, you post and talk to the ones who catch, any hints? Kewly, you gotta know?? (Taper?, Hitts?, Troutdog?) Appreciated!!

hooks
06-29-2011, 08:41 AM
I've hooked some of these fatties. I've got them mostly by mistake on bait. About 2 weeks ago I got one that was about 8 pounds on shrimp. They seem to go on a tear from about 7:30 -7:45pm (I think their coming out of trees for the night about this time). They will also key in on shad that show up under your lights at night. About 6 years ago I got one that was about 18 pounds back in Sierra cove when the water was on.
tight lines...

Eddiem
06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
i catch them usually on accident too, usually while fishing for trout with powerbait. caught 3 on a powerbait/power worm combo.

karalm
06-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks Hooks and Eddiem, appreciate the info. I will be there tomorrow and stay til closing and see if I can get one, or two or ??

dixoncider
06-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Caught them on a flylined piece of sardine before..same as striper fishing.

5150fishn
06-29-2011, 03:47 PM
I have caught quite a few of them trolling pink mirashads while fishing for trout.
Good luck out there.

whopperstopper
06-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Yes I see those pics of obese wiper's I want some off those too..karalm.....sent you a pm if you get in time?

troutdog
06-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Last season we caught quite a few just soaking chunks of mack for cats, once that water heated up in mid July they got really active. Trolling small cranks and locating shad balls should yield results for boaters with electronics. Those fish last year were in the 3-3.5lb range and now they seem to be 6-8lbs er so, that is some serious winter grubbing if ya ask me. Looking forward to my first DD wiper or as my buddy NoHoArt would say "vippy" :LOL:

Good luck out there this summer Karalm, looking forward to your reports!

TD

karalm
06-30-2011, 04:23 AM
Thanks to all for the insight/info. I am heading out their right now and will report back tonight on condictions/luck.

Whopper,
sent you a PM response - Thanks!!

VineAssist
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
In all honesty the very best way to fish the wipers is either by fishing a) meter marks or b) fishing busting fish.

When you are fishing the meter marks the best way to catch them is on underspins and ice jigs. Just look for shad on your meter with some slashes goin thru it and your are in buisness.

The busting fish are a diffrent story. It is a matter of what they are keyed in on. I would throw the same underspin or a fluke, or a scrounger head with a fluke to get these fish. The key is to stay way away from them.

hooks
06-30-2011, 04:41 PM
:Worship:
VineAssist!!!
Jimmy knows fish !
:whistle: