PDA

View Full Version : Help on Lake Skinner!! GF and I are new to fishing! =D

Totempole
06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Hey everybody!
ive been lurking in this forum for quite a while now and i guess its time to actually post something :Razz: My gf and i are new to fishing... lets say a month old lol....well, for my backround, ive been religiously working on my knots, researching my lines, bait and hooks and speaking with other fishermen at sarl and perris. This time my gf and i are planning to go to lake skinner and fish for 1. catfish 2. LMB 3.crappie. BUT MAINLY FOR CATFISH!
Now at sarl ive used the chicken liver and night crawler on #4 line with #2 leader with 1/0 eagle claw and skunked twice.. :Sad::Crying: At perris we caught bluegill with crickets with another setup but thats another story.
Anyways.. any info on prime bait, location, best #line and rig for catfish, i would greatly appreciate it.
Now im looking into hog wild or danny king with mackrel/anchovies/nightcrawler on this trip for cats, and rapala crankbait for LMB.

I have no clue what to do to fish for crappies. We will have 4 rods with us (all under 7' old rods, 1 shimano ultralight 5'6"). i know im asking for so much but for as a newbie like me, id rather look like a newbie behind a screen than out there fishing. thanks guys. I would really appreciate all your time for helping a new fishermen like my gf and I!I will reward with pics if i catched any....... :Crying:

JAG107
06-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Well first off Crappies are hard to find at Skinner IME. When its hot, go to the dam area, drift some anchovy or liver pieces at random depths (bottom to 30' deep) for cats. I caught all my 5-9lb cats that way last year, all across the main body of the lake. Some guys do good on the south shore in the coves. If you shore fish off ramp 2 area, you'll catch the 1lb stockers. The bigger ones are boat accessible only.
LMB? Plastics. hardbaits aren't as productive here.
Go to the dam, drop some liver and chovies, and get yourself some cats and striper! Lots of fun either way. Good luck man

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-28-2011, 09:15 PM
im not so sure about using a 2lb leader for kittys. i use 8lb all around for my cat fishin and sometimes that isnt enough....

P.A.W.
06-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Yup on the dam bouy line for showing the guests a good time. Also I think the stripers have eaten all the crappie in Skinner. There may be a few left but I haven't seen one in over a year. Some nice big bluegill wandering around. Night crawler pieces are a good bet anywhere near the tules and anchovie pieces near the dam. You can drop a bait n wait line and then throw the Rapala for fun while you wait. See you out there and good luck!!

mjc89
06-28-2011, 10:10 PM
ya dont use light line for cats. they are not line shy. i dont go under 12# test. i also use 30# braid with a 25# leader and still catch small cats. shrimp and mackerel work better for cats

TroutOnly
06-29-2011, 06:41 AM
FRESH MACKIE OR SARDINES,LOTS OF BLOOD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,

bassgrabber1
06-29-2011, 06:46 AM
I don't mean to thread hijack but any tips on bass out there?? I am a seasoned bass fisherman but just want to know since I have only went out there once in 10 years and will be camping this weekend there...thanx.

P.A.W.
06-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Well, I have caught my best bass on spooks and spinnerbait. That being said I have caught the most on finesse baits. Senkos, grubs, craw imitations etc.. Standard LMB practices will work, but at Skinner they seem to change from week to week. You just need to be patient and plug away til you find 'em.

bassgrabber1
06-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Well, I have caught my best bass on spooks and spinnerbait. That being said I have caught the most on finesse baits. Senkos, grubs, craw imitations etc.. Standard LMB practices will work, but at Skinner they seem to change from week to week. You just need to be patient and plug away til you find 'em.

Thanx for the info PAW.

Totempole
06-29-2011, 10:04 AM
First off.. THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS! i really appreciate all the help:Big Grin:
cant wait to go this weekend, my gf and i are going to camp there thurs night to sat afternoon just for fishing, ive been really into it lately, and its a way to relieve all the stress from the real world. but anyways.

Well first off Crappies are hard to find at Skinner IME. When its hot, go to the dam area, drift some anchovy or liver pieces at random depths (bottom to 30' deep) for cats. I caught all my 5-9lb cats that way last year, all across the main body of the lake. Some guys do good on the south shore in the coves. If you shore fish off ramp 2 area, you'll catch the 1lb stockers. The bigger ones are boat accessible only.
LMB? Plastics. hardbaits aren't as productive here.
Go to the dam, drop some liver and chovies, and get yourself some cats and striper! Lots of fun either way. Good luck man

Thanks! ill do that, should i just stick with the carolina rig? or is there a better alternate? im guessing i should fish early morning for bluegills, strippers then come noon time swtich over to cats?

Dropshot for stripers?
for LMB i guess i gotta buy me some robos lol

im not so sure about using a 2lb leader for kittys. i use 8lb all around for my cat fishin and sometimes that isnt enough....

back to the drawing board for me lol

Yup on the dam bouy line for showing the guests a good time. Also I think the stripers have eaten all the crappie in Skinner. There may be a few left but I haven't seen one in over a year. Some nice big bluegill wandering around. Night crawler pieces are a good bet anywhere near the tules and anchovie pieces near the dam. You can drop a bait n wait line and then throw the Rapala for fun while you wait. See you out there and good luck!!

tules? im lost.. lol where is that? im going to use anchovies and mackrel along with liver! thanks!!! but not together of course lol
if your going this weekend ill most likely be near the dam! ill have a red w/grey top tackle box with my brown hair asian gf lol help us newbies out lol

so instead of crappies, whats best setup for stripers?

ya dont use light line for cats. they are not line shy. i dont go under 12# test. i also use 30# braid with a 25# leader and still catch small cats. shrimp and mackerel work better for cats

so the cheap walmart brands are good enough? or should i stick to my berkely?

again thanks for all the response guys! cant wait to hear from ya!

Totempole
06-29-2011, 10:06 AM
FRESH MACKIE OR SARDINES,LOTS OF BLOOD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,

off to the fresh market for me! lol

sweetfish
06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
tules? im lost.. lol where is that? im going to use anchovies and mackrel along with liver! thanks!!! but not together of course lol
if your going this weekend ill most likely be near the dam! ill have a red w/grey top tackle box with my brown hair asian gf lol help us newbies out lol

Tullies are the reeds that are lined along the shore throughtout the lake. If you stop at the little market there, they do sell sardines, mackeral, and anchovies. Sometimes they will be out of the anchovies though. With the warm weather this week, think of the shady areas. For stripers and bass, like P.A.W. said the buoy line is usually money also try fishing off of points. The fish will be shallow early morning and late afternoon, but will go deep the higher the sun gets. For fishing chicken livers, the method I found that works on keeping them on the hook without casting them off is:

1. Get some pantyhose and cut it into 2 to 3 inch squares.
2. Put the liver in the square and tie it off like it is Santa's bag.
3. Then rubberband it to the shank of your hook and cast out.

Good luck.

Totempole
06-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Tullies are the reeds that are lined along the shore throughtout the lake. If you stop at the little market there, they do sell sardines, mackeral, and anchovies. Sometimes they will be out of the anchovies though. With the warm weather this week, think of the shady areas. For stripers and bass, like P.A.W. said the buoy line is usually money also try fishing off of points. The fish will be shallow early morning and late afternoon, but will go deep the higher the sun gets. For fishing chicken livers, the method I found that works on keeping them on the hook without casting them off is:

1. Get some pantyhose and cut it into 2 to 3 inch squares.
2. Put the liver in the square and tie it off like it is Santa's bag.
3. Then rubberband it to the shank of your hook and cast out.

Good luck.

Thanks! The bouy line doesn't refer to cats right? The cats will most likely be at the cove or the Dam? And they'll come out to play even at night right?

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-29-2011, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=Totempole;559467

again thanks for all the response guys! cant wait to hear from ya![/QUOTE]

there is no replacement for quality line. usually cheaper monos arent as durable, have a lot of memory, arent a consistent diameter, and or dont always hold their weight as per the lb test rating. i use stren smooth casting in 2# (trout) 4#( finesse fishing for LMB) 8#(for cats) 10#( cats, LMB crankbaits) 14#(cats, topwaters)

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks! The bouy line doesn't refer to cats right? The cats will most likely be at the cove or the Dam? And they'll come out to play even at night right?

MAny ppl believe (including myself) that cats are more active at night

TheAsianGuy
06-29-2011, 03:56 PM
MAny ppl believe (including myself) that cats are more active at night

Cats are active early in the day and late into the dusk..more so during dusk hours. However, depending on what cats you're searching for. Bullheads, man, those puppies don't care. Channel cats, they like to lay low until night fall, but still just as active during day if you know where to search for them (deep deep in the water body). Just use the stinkiest crap you can handle. Asian stinky shrimp and crab pastes do the trick with a piece of fried tofu. I dropped it once onto the ground (my lunch), thinking, hm..let's shove some stinky paste into it. Surely enough, and nice bullhead grabbed it within 5 minutes at the depth of 10 feet off the shore. Go figure.

ill have a red w/grey top tackle box with my brown hair asian gf lol help us newbies out lol

I think I saw you and your gf off Perris loading ramp pier a wee bit back, as she was learning how to cast the line properly..was that you two? One of the casts nearly landed on my father-in-law's tube :LOL: Nearly caught a 185lbs old cat there :ROFL:

mjc89
06-29-2011, 08:10 PM
id stick to berkley. they make pretty good line. but if u want better go to izor line imo. dont buy those cheap lines. its not worth losing the fish

Totempole
06-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Cats are active early in the day and late into the dusk..more so during dusk hours. However, depending on what cats you're searching for. Bullheads, man, those puppies don't care. Channel cats, they like to lay low until night fall, but still just as active during day if you know where to search for them (deep deep in the water body). Just use the stinkiest crap you can handle. Asian stinky shrimp and crab pastes do the trick with a piece of fried tofu. I dropped it once onto the ground (my lunch), thinking, hm..let's shove some stinky paste into it. Surely enough, and nice bullhead grabbed it within 5 minutes at the depth of 10 feet off the shore. Go figure.

I think I saw you and your gf off Perris loading ramp pier a wee bit back, as she was learning how to cast the line properly..was that you two? One of the casts nearly landed on my father-in-law's tube :LOL: Nearly caught a 185lbs old cat there :ROFL:

Lol we were at Perris but on the deck near the beach( Iono what that wooden deck is called. Lol)
And never did see anybody on the tube lol
But thanks for the info! And yes I do have shrimp paste aka bagaoong in Tagalog ( filipino) lol

P.A.W.
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM
I might see you there. I'll be there for sure Friday and Monday but the weekend looks like company is comming. If I do see you I'll stop by in the grey Tracker.

Totempole
06-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Ok so I just found out to fish at the Dam I would need a boat. Unfortunately I'm a shore fisherman ( for now) any place good place at lake skinner for cats? I don't wanna get skunked :( Yes I'm desperate lol

bassgrabber1
06-30-2011, 11:21 PM
I heard Toilet Cove is good but I am not sure if its accessable by foot. I am going to get there by my boat this weekend ...... i have been looking at maps and it showas a lot of rip rap there. It also says that the whole South Bay is good fishing for cats and LMB.

fish-o-haulic
06-30-2011, 11:51 PM
man your searching for cat. If i had known i would have been here sooner. Im a cat expert just ask asaian guy. HAHAH lol. No im not really that vane just keeps my self esteem up. But i havent fished skinner before but i have caught alot of catfish all over the place one thing that works if all else fails is nightcrawler/earthworms. 4lb test kinda small unless its stockers(catfish that are stocked by a hatchery,(had to assume you didnt know that since you said your new to the game)) But 8lb is the smallest i go. Natural born catfish are some serious fighters so if your not skilled in catching big fish on light line and judging from what ive heard of skinner for you 10 or 12 lb test should work. Again not trying to demean your fishing ability but Im just talking you as if your new to this like you said you were by the way good choice to pick up fishing. Anyway i use a 6 inch leader for catfish your hook shouldnt be too small because catfish have wide mouths. there not line shy or hook shy in general but the behaviors of fish vary at different lakes and ive never fished skinner so if im saying something wrong i hope someone will correct me.But overall anything dead should work and smelly should work. try all kinds of smeeling things even make up your own concotions. Even try unconventional stuff catfish are scavengers remember that so there isnt much that they wont bite on. theyll even bite on an occasional lure. By the way. I have to ask do you know what parts of catfish sting you. I feel im obligated to ask this because of previous post on another forum where a guy caught a cat and asked someone to remove the hook for him because he didnt know how to unhook it himself. Also I just skimmed through the other comments, so if i said something that someone already said or something going against what others said I apologize now.

fish-o-haulic
07-01-2011, 12:04 AM
First off.. THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS! i really appreciate all the help:Big Grin:
cant wait to go this weekend, my gf and i are going to camp there thurs night to sat afternoon just for fishing, ive been really into it lately, and its a way to relieve all the stress from the real world. but anyways.

Thanks! ill do that, should i just stick with the carolina rig? or is there a better alternate? im guessing i should fish early morning for bluegills, strippers then come noon time swtich over to cats?

Dropshot for stripers?
for LMB i guess i gotta buy me some robos lol

back to the drawing board for me lol

so instead of crappies, whats best setup for stripers?

again thanks for all the response guys! cant wait to hear from ya!

May i add that catfish are active in early morning and evening, but at pyramid lake in the middle of the day at like 3 or 4pm I caught a 10lb catfish, yes im aware that was pyramid but Surprisingly enough ive caught my limit faster in the dead middle of the afternoon like between 12and 400pm and 600pm and on. Ive caught alot of them in the morning but not after like 800 or 900am. I catch more catfish the later the day gets. But i think asianguy already said about half of what i just did. have good luck out there. I may be out there next week, as to where i may take like two trips next week.

Totempole
07-01-2011, 12:42 AM
May i add that catfish are active in early morning and evening, but at pyramid lake in the middle of the day at like 3 or 4pm I caught a 10lb catfish, yes im aware that was pyramid but Surprisingly enough ive caught my limit faster in the dead middle of the afternoon like between 12and 400pm and 600pm and on. Ive caught alot of them in the morning but not after like 800 or 900am. I catch more catfish the later the day gets. But i think asianguy already said about half of what i just did. have good luck out there. I may be out there next week, as to where i may take like two trips next week.

Thanks!! Yea right now I'm actually going to use a 15# cause yes I don't have skills yet with the 4# ( as I witness snapping a line at SARL last week :'(
Am going to use anchovies/macs/ and sardines and the occassional nightcrawlers for my bait along with shrimp paste, hog wild , Danny kings. Which ever combo lands first is what im going to stick with lol. I'm going to be there in a couple hrs soo... Wish my gf and I luck! Pics will follow if catches occur! Lol thanks guys again for all the help. I'll be fishing ramp #2 and hopefully that toilet cove if allowed by foot and If nothing bits.. The south end it will be. Sat will be Perris or corona! Any info will help still! Thanks again!

reservoir dog
07-01-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't mean to thread hijack but any tips on bass out there?? I am a seasoned bass fisherman but just want to know since I have only went out there once in 10 years and will be camping this weekend there...thanx.

I personally like plastics and have caught most of my LMB using them. Senkos, roboworms, minnows, grubs, etc... And I usually top it off with a little bit of bass juice (attractant). But overall patience is the key.