PDA

View Full Version : C&R tips for trouting

dockboy
06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Seeing as the Sierra trout season has really kicked into gear recently, it it time to speak of how to properly release a trout.This is going to be a banner year for the Sierras, with lots of water to keep the rivers and stream high well into the fall season. Obviously the point of this tip is not to lecture; if you want to keep fish, do so legally and you are well within your rights as fisherman.Follow the rules, quickly kill your catch in a humane fashion (letting a fish flop in the mud or stepping on it are not the way to treat your catch), and above all be respectful to the fishery. If you are like me, and live not just for the full frying pan, but rather for the chase, here as some tips your trout in a responsible manner. In some waters like Hot Creek, you have no choice but to release your fish.

- Keep your fish out of the water as little as possible. Imagine someone sticking your head underwater for a minute while they fiddled around at their leisure. The longer a fish is out of the water, the possibility of their survival after release decreases exponentially.

- All fish have a slime layer that keeps them protected from aquatic parasites and disease. Trout in particular have very delicate slime layers and scales that shed easily. For this reason, ALWAYS wet your hands well before handling a trout you wish to release. You may not stop the removal of slime and scale, but it can minimize the potential damage to the fish.

- Have your camera ready to go. Letting a fish flounder on the end of your line while you rummage about for the camera is a good way to over-play and kill your quarry.

- Make sure to have a net made with soft rubber mesh or at least soft poly mesh. The hard twisted nylon style of nets slice through fins, remove the important slime layer, and catch hooks easily.

- Use barbless hooks. Almost any hook you use for trout can have the barb crimped down with a good pair of forceps or needlenose pliers.

- Replace your hooks with premium quality hooks. You can do this on most trout lures that use trebles. Most trout lures come with crud stock hooks. Owner makes a great replacement treble that is available in most good sporting goods stores. Sharp hooks penetrate quickly, and when you are fishing barbless, this is crucial in keeping the fish on. I've gone 12 for 12 on Kastmasters with the Owner hooks, a lure notorious for losing fish to poor hookup ratios.

- Use lures or flies if you really want to take catch and release to heart.Trout is particular are not shy about eating bait, and you will get more gut hooked, bleeding fish from bait than lures. Even barbless bait hooks do damage when swallowed deep.

- You will experience some fish that just don't make it. Trout are fragile, even when handled correctly.Even if you play trout right, handle them carefully, and quickly them, you will get some floaters. It happens. Your responsibility as an angler is your fish. If you can, take the dying fish home. If not, don't worry. Dead trout are very good source of nutrients for the ecosystem, and a dead fish or two is nothing to freak out about. I usually put dead trout on the bank back in the water to feed the aquatic insects the other trout will eat.

- Keep your pliers or forceps close at hand and ready to go. If you are a flyfisherman, look for a tool called a Ketchum Release. It allows you to simply slide the tool down your line, and pop a barbless hook free without touching the fish in most cases. And no red DeHooker tools. Nothing is more valuable than a good pair of small needlenose or forceps to a C&R trout fisherman.

- The best possible way to keep fish healthy and ready for a succesful release is to not remove them from the water. A trout kept in the water during dehhoking and photos is far more likely to live than his brethen who is hauled up to do the same.

- The larger the trout, on average the longer the time required for a proper release. Big fish have more muscle mass to regenerate from fatigue and resulting lactic acid buildup. Small trout quickly recuperate. Large trout need time and care. Hold them gently underwater just above the tail and under the belly just behind the gills while the fish regains its strength to swim away.

- If a fish is being particularly difficult during the release process, let it calm for a bit. If you can get a gentle grip on the body behind the gills, turn the fish upside down for a quick second underwater. This is a old thresher fishing trick, and its works on all fish really. Briefly turning them upside down calms the fish, and allows you to gain the control needed for a quick and successful release.

- Never stick your fingers in any fish's gills, especially when handling trout. Touching the gills roughly is a sure way to create hemorraging within the gill system. Gill-handled trout almost always died shortly after release by bleeding out.

- Remember you will always remember your own catch. Never put the life of a fish you intend to release in danger for your own ego. Bragging rights and photographic proof are great, but never worth the life of the beautiful trophy you catch.

Frequent Flyer
06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
great tips love the thresher tip

TheAsianGuy
06-28-2011, 06:11 PM
You forgot to point out something that I see kids, young adults, and some dimwitted adults do:

- NEVER EVER yank the fish right out of the water, and slam it back into the water to force release it from the hook. You will kill the fish from the impact shock, as well as the massive tears done from ripping the hook right out of the fish's mouth.

Can't believe how many time I have to lecture those nitwits.

vanillagurilla
06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
most of the time i dont even touch the fish or take it out of the water, i like to leave them in the water and use hemostats or needlenose to remove my jig or hook. thats the best way.

dockboy
06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
most of the time i dont even touch the fish or take it out of the water, i like to leave them in the water and use hemostats or needlenose to remove my jig or hook. thats the best way.

Agreed. Mini jigs are awesome from this point of view. Never had a fish choke a jig, always in the lip. This is best done barbless. Half a twist of the forceps or pliers and the hook is out.