PDA

View Full Version : What the freaking crap is with DMV confusing regs?!

TheAsianGuy
06-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Okay, took my boat registration paperwork into the Riverside DMV to register the inflatable pontoon with the 55lbs thrust electric outboard motor. Stood in line for nice part of the morning, and came out feeling a bit stupid. Why? Well, here's the DMV regs for watercrafts with mechanic aid:

--------------------------
What Vessels Must be Registered? Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.
Vessels previously registered in other states must be registered in California within 120 days of being brought into the state, if it will be used upon California waterways the majority of the time.
The term vessel applies to every description of water-craft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except the following:

A seaplane on the water.
A watercraft specifically designed to operate on a permanently fixed course and guided by a mechanical device that restricts the watercraft's movement to the fixed course.
A floating structure that is designed and built to be used as a stationary waterborne residential dwelling, which, (a) does not have and is not designed to have a mode of power of its own, (b) is dependent for utilities upon a continuous utility linkage to a source originating on shore, and (c) has a permanent, continuous hookup to a shoreside sewage system.

---------------------

Well, my pontoon is 10.5' in length. Powered by a electrical motor and oars. But the DMV personnel said I don't have to register it?! I ask the representative to talk to the superintendent to confirm. The superintendent said the same. I even shown the regulatory printout. They reassured me that I don't have to worry about it. I had the most confusing look on me as everyone looked at me like an idiot who insist in registering something that the DMV don't even want to register. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on?

blackberg
06-28-2011, 03:46 PM
did they tell you why it needed not be registered?

that wording up there looks like it does. As far as I know you are not going to live on your inflatible pontoon and its not a seaplane.

Did you tell them it had a motor on there?

that part probably did not connect with them.

DMV doesnt see as many boats as they do cars, they had to call a supervisor when my dad was registering his boat, and they pulled the regs book out to use it as an instruction guide on what to do.

-bb

TheAsianGuy
06-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Yep. I told them specifically that my pontoon will be powered by an electronic motor. On the 1st page of the registration, I marked "Pontoon", "Material: Other", "Motor type: Outboard", "Fuel type: Other". They went through the form with a pen, poking at each field. Turned to me afterwards, and said, "No need to register your craft." I went.."eerr..mind looking at this printout and reassure me your decision." They said, "No need. Have a good day."

Sparky70
06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Bunch of Stupid Dinks work at the DMV ! Like kicking a dead horse !

dixoncider
06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
just say your putting a small 2.5hp gas outboard on there?

TheAsianGuy
06-28-2011, 04:33 PM
just say your putting a small 2.5hp gas outboard on there?

2.5hp gas outboard far exceeds the 55lbs electric motor, which is less than 1HP. I know what you're getting at, but I only report what's needed to be reported..not more..not less.

spainfish
06-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Wow,that is frustrating...I have considered registering my Dave Scadden Skykomish because I too use a Minn Kota motor to propel my self on it,I would think the DMV would be happy to collect more $$$ from someone in this case.
I could be mistaken,but dont some bodies of water in the Sierra's reguire this very reg?

fishtales
06-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I wonder if there is a fine for not having it registered? How about having the supervisor at DMV give you a written note saying it does not need to be registered? Or at least get the guy's name along with the date and time you visited the DMV, write it down and keep it handy just in case.

FT

TheAsianGuy
06-29-2011, 08:25 AM
I wonder if there is a fine for not having it registered? How about having the supervisor at DMV give you a written note saying it does not need to be registered? Or at least get the guy's name along with the date and time you visited the DMV, write it down and keep it handy just in case.

FT

Written notice? No..they wouldn't even give you the tissue that they sneezed on. I do have their names. The personnel was Doug Smith, and the supervisor was Carla Jones. I did attempt to ask for the reason why the craft was exempted. They indicated it did not fit any of the description in their book or on the printout. So...we're saving money? Got to ask Ronina about this.

Which Way Out
06-29-2011, 03:46 PM
It couldn't hurt to check with AAA. I do all my DMV with them. Trust me its a LOT better.

blackberg
06-29-2011, 03:51 PM
unfortunately by not having it, you will most likely get fined if you are ever asked for it and not have it, may even ruin your day of fishing if they make you leave the water
-bb

TheAsianGuy
06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
It couldn't hurt to check with AAA. I do all my DMV with them. Trust me its a LOT better.

You read my mind. Just got off the phone with the local AAA 15 minutes ago, asking them about the info. Luckily I'm a member. The representative was willing to pull something off for me to get registered. I have to bring in my frame and pontoon bladders, along with the filled forms and original receipt of purchase.

Key notes: When purchasing a watercraft, kayak, or inflatable boat that you may want to mount a motor with you, make sure you grab the Boat101.pdf from from the DMV with you during your purchase. This way, a change of ownership is in legal binding so you can register after the seller signed it. Luckily, I have the original sale receipt.

Another thing, make sure you also indicate it's a GIFT from the friend, or sold off at a very very very low price (less than $200). TAX will be 10% of your craft as "Luxury property" by the Tax Assessor. Freaking taxes...

Just some info I've collected. Hope it will be to your advantage.

fishtales
06-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Written notice? No..they wouldn't even give you the tissue that they sneezed on. I do have their names. The personnel was Doug Smith, and the supervisor was Carla Jones. I did attempt to ask for the reason why the craft was exempted. They indicated it did not fit any of the description in their book or on the printout. So...we're saving money? Got to ask Ronina about this.

Hey Asian Guy, I'm all for saving money. I hope they're right!

BTW, this Friday CA sales tax drops by 1%. When you register it, you have to pay CA sales tax on it too (even if it's used).

Your pal, FT

TheAsianGuy
06-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey Asian Guy, I'm all for saving money. I hope they're right!

BTW, this Friday CA sales tax drops by 1%. When you register it, you have to pay CA sales tax on it too (even if it's used).

Your pal, FT

Thanks FT. Freaking taxes..ARRGG! County's Luxury Tax, CA Sales Tax, CA Registration Fee, Fishing License Fee, Power Usage Fee and Taxes. Dude! What the hell happen to the "Let Me Enjoy My Freaking Fishing Without Greedy Hands Robbing Me Blind Day"?! *SIGH*

fishtales
06-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Well, first of all Asian Guy, I'm not a dude. I'm a babe. (That's the opposite of dude, right? :)

Second, thank God we live in a country where we have police and firemen to protect us, decent health care, etc. The US is not perfect by a long shot but taxes are the price we all pay to live in a civilized, rule-of-law society.

So let us know what you find out from Ronira about the inflatable registration. I'm very curious.

FT

TheAsianGuy
06-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Well, first of all Asian Guy, I'm not a dude. I'm a babe. (That's the opposite of dude, right? :)

:ROFL: Yes Mary, I know you're a babe..not a dude. Unless...Mary is also a name for boys?! I use the "Dude" term loosely as an expression such as "ooohhh man.." or "or crap".

fishtales
06-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Check your PM's