PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Recon Mission Monday 6/27 report

blackberg
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
So as posted on
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?58228-Big-Bear-Recon-Mission-Monday

here is the report....

We got there late, so late that we stopped by and get lunch at Big Bear before doing any scouting.

The Dam on the Big Bear side had no parking, construction vehicles and workers taking up the whole area, didnt even stop as it was a mess there.

Stopped by the pier/park and saw people fishing but not catching anything, about 20 people there and Zero fish. They where supposedly fishing for trout.

Headed to the Stanfield cutoff, scouted the area and saw no fish. Talked to several people that where there and one was there since 8am for no hookups, was after 12noon at this point. Finally like at 1, this one guy catches a nice size trout, and I think that was it for the day there, at least until we left.

On the other side of the street, we spot some carp, take the bow out and first shot of the day and get this one in the tail, about 18 inches.

Missed my second shot and get this one on the third shot about 20 minutes later,
31395, this one came at about 24 inches and the big fish of the day. I didnt shoot at this location anymore. We managed 2 more after handing the bow off, although lots more shots where taken to get those 2 :Cool:

We left after a while, people on the other side still had no hookups, after checking out the camping spots on that side, we stopped at a place in Fawnskin. Saw Carp jumping around, put on the waders and went in, managed to hit one but wiggled out at the shore line. Water was too murky and visibility of 3 inches at times. It was so bad that twice I walked past the carp and we wouldnt see each other, or they would jump right infront of me and still couldnt see them after they went down. Need to bring a ladder next time.

On the shore they where getting hits on the rods but no hookups, after switching hooks and techniques, a bullhed finally was caught, a little while later another one. I finally came back in after couple of hours of that and no more hits.
I swithced to a bullhead setup and casted to where the water was warmer, since I had been wading I knew where it was, and the bite opened up after that.
I switched to a different rod with 2 dropper loops and was able to catch a double on the first cast
but the bottom fish swallowed the hook and broke it off, as you can see we where loosing daylight and kept fishing with the one hook on that rod. It was non stop until we ran of bait, like at 9:30. We where not planning on staying so late so we didnt even have a lantern on us, just a flashlight. Ended up with 32 bullheads.

Final Count was 4 Carp and 32 Bullheads

-bb

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-28-2011, 01:11 PM
So as posted on
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?58228-Big-Bear-Recon-Mission-Monday

here is the report....

We got there late, so late that we stopped by and get lunch at Big Bear before doing any scouting.

The Dam on the Big Bear side had no parking, construction vehicles and workers taking up the whole area, didnt even stop as it was a mess there.

Stopped by the pier/park and saw people fishing but not catching anything, about 20 people there and Zero fish. They where supposedly fishing for trout.

Headed to the Stanfield cutoff, scouted the area and saw no fish. Talked to several people that where there and one was there since 8am for no hookups, was after 12noon at this point. Finally like at 1, this one guy catches a nice size trout, and I think that was it for the day there, at least until we left.

On the other side of the street, we spot some carp, take the bow out and first shot of the day and get this one in the tail, about 18 inches.

Missed my second shot and get this one on the third shot about 20 minutes later,
31395, this one came at about 24 inches and the big fish of the day. I didnt shoot at this location anymore. We managed 2 more after handing the bow off, although lots more shots where taken to get those 2 :Cool:

We left after a while, people on the other side still had no hookups, after checking out the camping spots on that side, we stopped at a place in Fawnskin. Saw Carp jumping around, put on the waders and went in, managed to hit one but wiggled out at the shore line. Water was too murky and visibility of 3 inches at times. It was so bad that twice I walked past the carp and we wouldnt see each other, or they would jump right infront of me and still couldnt see them after they went down. Need to bring a ladder next time.

On the shore they where getting hits on the rods but no hookups, after switching hooks and techniques, a bullhed finally was caught, a little while later another one. I finally came back in after couple of hours of that and no more hits.
I swithced to a bullhead setup and casted to where the water was warmer, since I had been wading I knew where it was, and the bite opened up after that.
I switched to a different rod with 2 dropper loops and was able to catch a double on the first cast
but the bottom fish swallowed the hook and broke it off, as you can see we where loosing daylight and kept fishing with the one hook on that rod. It was non stop until we ran of bait, like at 9:30. We where not planning on staying so late so we didnt even have a lantern on us, just a flashlight. Ended up with 32 bullheads.

Final Count was 4 Carp and 32 Bullheads

-bb

damn! whats the limit on bullheads

blackberg
06-28-2011, 01:30 PM
damn! whats the limit on bullheads

No limit on bullheads, they are small so you need several to make a family meal out of them. They are fun to catch, I was using 4lb izor on one and the other with 10lb braided izor with a 2lb fluoro leader both on ultralight setups and they where pulling drag on the 10lb, and would have lost several to weeds if it where not for the braid, the other rod I was casting away from the weeded area. That braid is the diameter of 2-3lb line.

Pics of stringer-O'-bullheads and box-O'-bullheads

-bb

atleasticaughtabuzz
06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
ah ic...do they not get any bigger? also whats the difference between a bullhead and a channel cat?

blackberg
06-28-2011, 01:54 PM
that top one the stringer showing its belly is the biggest one I think. thats about the biggest Ive seen them grow to, maybe hit a lb tops if they are fat, most are smaller though.

Bullheads are smaller, and the go to bait is nightcrawlers, and at least in my experience they are in schools, if you find one you find several.

-bb

Cameron
06-29-2011, 08:21 AM
ah ic...do they not get any bigger? also whats the difference between a bullhead and a channel cat?

2-30 lbs lol

RTG
06-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Easiest way to ID the channel cat is the deeply-forked tail AND precense of spots on the body. The number of spots varies, some channels have very few and some have several. Their body is usually silvery/ white colored. Bullheads are usually mottled dark brown or olive-colored, have more of a square tail and never have spots.
The limit on channel cats is 10 at BBL.